College Football 2015 - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2015, 11:04 PM   #301
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I agree with whatever argument gets Penn State into the rankings.
I agree with whatever argument gets you to join in this conversation

Old 11-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #302
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
UCF 2013 Schedule:

5 - 7 Akron
1 - 11 FIU
7 -5 Penn State
11 -2 SCAR (Loss)
3 - 9 Memphis
12 - 1 Louisville
3 - 9 UCONN
8 -5 Houson
2 - 10 Temple
6 - 7 Rutgers
2 - 10 South Florida
5 - 7 SMU

Defeat 11-2 Baylor in the FIESTA BOWL

Where did UCF get boned, exactly? You're complaining about where they started in 2014? Were there NO offseason changes for your team? Did the ranking end up proving to be...oh, I don't know...inaccurate in any way? UCF went 9-4 the following year and their only impressive win was to a highly ranked team in the FCS. AND they lost their bowl.

Wait so let's slow things down here. First of all, you seem to be emphasizing the FIESTA BOWL like its lesser than some other major bowl? Like, if UCF and Baylor were in the Rose Bowl, it would be more impressive? Is there logic in this? The setting, that was chosen by a committee, makes a difference?

Yes, UCF was better than #10 that year. Which is why when they faced a supposed top ten team, they won in convincing fashion. But instead, teams who had occupied the space from preseason ranks held their ground. That is my point, thank you.

And no, I'm not talking about their initial ranking the following season. This was about their INABILITY to peak at anything higher than #10, due to other teams having been given good initial rankings but UCF not having a good initial rank at the beginning of the 2013 season.

My comment about the 2014 season wasn't about the start. It was about how the elimination of the BCS removed the AAC from an automatic bid, and consolidated power to a fewer amount of teams. Yes, they didn't have a good record (no shit, they lost their star QB and starting RB). But my point was that AAC lost its title as a "power conference."

Old 11-04-2015, 11:26 PM   #303
Blue Crack Distributor

Actually I was highlighting the Fiesta Bowl because it's a major bowl. Meaning UCF was in zero ways slighted in 2013. Despite the fact that they beat up on a bunch of tiny schools and lost one of the two challenges they had that season (Referring to SCAR and Louisville. The Bowl game obviously doesn't effect your in-season ranking). I don't know why you are still throwing a pity party for yourself over the fact that your team had major successes in 2013.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #304
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Actually I was highlighting the Fiesta Bowl because it's a major bowl. Meaning UCF was in zero ways slighted in 2013. Despite the fact that they beat up on a bunch of tiny schools and lost one of the two challenges they had that season (Referring to SCAR and Louisville. The Bowl game obviously doesn't effect your in-season ranking). I don't know why you are still throwing a pity party for yourself over the fact that your team had major successes in 2013.

Pity party? I'm not throwing a pity party. I'm using an example that I know well, that demonstrates the ineffectiveness of initially seeding teams. And you, of all people, shouldn't be pointing fingers about a pity party. You bitch every week about where TCU is in the rankings.

Personally, I think you're justified. But yeah, don't do that.

And I was referring to their rankings pre- and post- bowl game. Also, I was making a point over if UCF was initially seeded at 5 and lost to a SC team that was ranked 8 or something like that, they'd be top 5 and a question mark for the BCS.

No, I am not saying they deserved to be there, necessarily. I'm saying the teams that are there will blockade them from even getting close.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:01 AM   #305
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:25 AM
College Football 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
A 16 team, four round playoff would be "horrific?"

March Madness must be your least favorite time of year.

Football is much more physically straining and exhausting than Basketball. I'm not all about the entertainment factor, I'm about quality of the game. And there is absolutely no way that more than 8 teams deserve a right to play in the playoff.
It would be absurd if teams like FSU, Michigan, Ole Miss, Memphis, etc would be serious contenders for a playoff spot if the season ended today.
Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 11-05-2015, 01:00 AM   #306
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
Football is much more physically straining and exhausting than Basketball. I'm not all about the entertainment factor, I'm about quality of the game. And there is absolutely no way that more than 8 teams deserve a right to play in the playoff.
It would be absurd if teams like FSU, Michigan, Ole Miss, Memphis, etc would be serious contenders for a playoff spot if the season ended today.
Why? All of those teams are playing great football...
Old 11-05-2015, 04:56 AM   #307
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:25 AM
Quote:
Football is much more physically straining and exhausting than Basketball.

How do you figure? Research shows that there are more injuries in basketball than football.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:37 AM   #308
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
How do you figure? Research shows that there are more injuries in basketball than football.

What research?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #309
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Why? All of those teams are playing great football...

Yeah. But they're not deserving of being in a playoff.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #310
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Pity party? I'm not throwing a pity party. I'm using an example that I know well, that demonstrates the ineffectiveness of initially seeding teams. And you, of all people, shouldn't be pointing fingers about a pity party. You bitch every week about where TCU is in the rankings.

Personally, I think you're justified. But yeah, don't do that.

And I was referring to their rankings pre- and post- bowl game. Also, I was making a point over if UCF was initially seeded at 5 and lost to a SC team that was ranked 8 or something like that, they'd be top 5 and a question mark for the BCS.

No, I am not saying they deserved to be there, necessarily. I'm saying the teams that are there will blockade them from even getting close.
I don't see a way to avoid making preseason rankings. You're taking a 128-team league and trying to make a definitive ranking based on a 12 or 13-game season. Pretending like that season is occurring in a vacuum only makes your job that much harder. Not giving Ohio State credit for coming off a national title with a lot of that talent still on the roster would be kind of silly.

Does it hurt up-and-coming teams that lack history, both recent and long-term? Absolutely. But it's essentially impossible to avoid doing it.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #311
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
I don't see a way to avoid making preseason rankings. You're taking a 128-team league and trying to make a definitive ranking based on a 12 or 13-game season. Pretending like that season is occurring in a vacuum only makes your job that much harder. Not giving Ohio State credit for coming off a national title with a lot of that talent still on the roster would be kind of silly.

Does it hurt up-and-coming teams that lack history, both recent and long-term? Absolutely. But it's essentially impossible to avoid doing it.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #312
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I'm definitely acknowledging that it's a scenario that simply just doesn't play out well in either case.

The best solution I can think of is to model it like the Champions League and have all ten conferences send representatives.

I don't think a playoff is out of the question, and I don't see the big deal with lengthening the playoffs (not everyone has to play more games, just winners...).
Old 11-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #313
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:25 AM
Quote:
What research?

Well, here for one
http://m.livescience.com/803-dangero...s-america.html

It's also in a some sports injuries textbooks that I've read, but I don't have access to them at the moment.

Obviously it's not a contact sport like football, but the frequent stop and go can cause microtears in tissue, leaving the athletes prone to injury.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #314
Blue Crack Distributor

Mia and Peef. College football thread delivers.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #315
Rock n' Roll Doggie

College Football 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
Well, here for one
http://m.livescience.com/803-dangero...s-america.html

It's also in a some sports injuries textbooks that I've read, but I don't have access to them at the moment.

Obviously it's not a contact sport like football, but the frequent stop and go can cause microtears in tissue, leaving the athletes prone to injury.

Thanks for the article.
My main point is the fact that there's a reason why basketball is played 3-4 games a week and football only once. It involves a lot more strategy and planning, along with being much more physically demanding.
Making football into a tournament would be terrible for the sport and most of all, it would downplay the accomplishments of the regular season.
In the words of Michael Scott, "football is like rock and roll. It's all bang, bang, bang. Basketball is like jazz."

Tags
college football, ncaa