College Football 2014 - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2014, 03:51 AM   #151
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:50 AM
I'm not sure how Baylor isn't ranked ahead of TCU since they won the head-to-head, though TCU has played a more impressive slate of games.

An SEC-ACC-Big 12-Pac-12 playoff makes a hell of a lot of sense, though no one should sleep on Ohio State.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #152
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Because, the new playoffs system requires the voters to actually watch the games, and they came away with the same understanding you just did: TCU has (had) a much tougher road than Baylor.

Baylor plays two less ranked opponents, played most of those tough games at home (with the exception of, I believe, WVU (l) and Oklahoma (w)) and their victory over TCU (and by extension, the potential victory of TCU over Baylor) in the end, was truly one horrendous defensive game. Neither team came out of that one looking good, and the very next week, Baylor lost, and TCU annihilated, so I think it came down to perception/momentum.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #153
Blue Crack Distributor

What truly blows my mind is the AP and USA today polls jumping Baylor over Arizona state and Ohio... Ridiculous, when both of those beat top ten teams and Baylor beat (no offense Mrs G.) an on the way out Oklahoma.

Very curious to see what happens Tuesday.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #154
Blue Crack Distributor

Ohhhh Huzzah.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
What truly blows my mind is the AP and USA today polls jumping Baylor over Arizona state and Ohio... Ridiculous, when both of those beat top ten teams and Baylor beat (no offense Mrs G.) an on the way out Oklahoma.

Very curious to see what happens Tuesday.
None taken.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #156
Refugee

So glad we jumped FSU to move to number 2 in the playoff rankings. FSU is so overrated. But we gotta best ASU in the PAC-12 championship now and they're looking surprisingly good this year.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 11-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #157
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:50 AM
Old 11-13-2014, 02:00 AM   #158
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
So glad we jumped FSU to move to number 2 in the playoff rankings. FSU is so overrated. But we gotta best ASU in the PAC-12 championship now and they're looking surprisingly good this year.

Not losing a game is way overrated. No question.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:46 AM   #159
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Not losing a game is way overrated. No question.

FSU has a weak schedule, Oregon's schedule is a lot harder. Plus our loss to Arizona occurred when we weren't at full strength. Yeah, it sucks that we lost and it hurt our chances of making the playoffs, but I think Oregon is a better team than FSU. Mariota is the front runner for the Heisman and when our team is fully healthy, our offense puts up big numbers and our defense plays pretty well.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:27 AM   #160
The Male

FSU isn't playing especially dominant football lately, but considering they haven't lost yet, they are currently where they belong in the rankings. I don't think this is their year, but they'll be in the mix to the very end.

Oregon always finds some way to fuck up one game no matter how good they are. It's tough to get excited about them. The playoff system being what it is, maybe they can stay in the top 4 and make up for Arizona, but they look beatable to me.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:03 AM   #161
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
FSU has a weak schedule, Oregon's schedule is a lot harder. Plus our loss to Arizona occurred when we weren't at full strength. Yeah, it sucks that we lost and it hurt our chances of making the playoffs, but I think Oregon is a better team than FSU. Mariota is the front runner for the Heisman and when our team is fully healthy, our offense puts up big numbers and our defense plays pretty well.

Oregon has a strong enough offensive identity with the no-huddle spread that they can plug in skilled QBs like Mariota, Darron Thomas, etc... without missing a beat and put up points. The Pac-12 is a stiffer conference overall than the ACC, only 5 of the 6 top-tier teams reside in the South (USC, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA). Michigan State and UCLA are the toughest teams y'all have played all year? Stanford in a down year? Come on. One loss teams should be in the conversation but not at the expense of undefeated squads in a Power Five conference, sorry.

You can only play your schedule. The only difference between a pre-2013 FSU squad and this year's is Jameis. When you have a QB that good, those issues are smoothed over. The ACC is a weaker conference overall... but it's not like wins against Clemson (without Winston), Louisville (#1 ranked defense in the country), or Notre Dame (out of conference, technically) are without merit. Undefeated with a shaky offensive line, decent-but-not-great defense, and rough rushing attack? I'll take 9-0 for now.

There's a chance that FSU makes it to the playoff and gets blown out. I doubt it, but it'd make this year's narrative easier to reconcile. No other team has looked "dominant" for the whole season -- undefeated Mississippi State almost lost to Arkansas at home 2 weeks back! Last I checked, Arkansas hasn't won a conference game yet. Enjoy Tuscaloosa this weekend, fellas.

For the record, Florida State hasn't lost a game since November 2012. Miami has been hitting its stride these past 3 weeks... we'll see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
FSU isn't playing especially dominant football lately, but considering they haven't lost yet, they are currently where they belong in the rankings. I don't think this is their year, but they'll be in the mix to the very end.

Oregon always finds some way to fuck up no matter how good they are. It's tough to get excited about them.
They haven't put together complete games and are still undefeated. The talent is there; the reps aren't.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:13 AM   #162
Blue Crack Distributor

I appreciate that this committee explains their decisions. In general, I am quite pleased with the new process.

In the end, the college football system does NOT work. Deciding on the best team by all the factors is insane. But we're long removed from anything near like any other sport, so I can at least try to roll with the changes.

Ultimately, FSU's drop is meaningless, but it's basically them pointing out that that ND defeat looks less impressive by the week.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:50 AM
There is no way to make a league with only 12 game regular seasons and hardly any out-of-conference competition work. College football is stupid.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #164
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

If the CFP inspires better out of conference scheduling then I'd consider it a success. FSU's home game against Oklahoma in 2011 was deafening, though we lost.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #165
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
There is no way to make a league with only 12 game regular seasons and hardly any out-of-conference competition work. College football is stupid.
It's the only US sport that uses "on paper" as a legitimate way to determine championship caliber teams, and it's maddening but, it does add an intrigue to the sport that's like nothing else, which makes it, to me, so addicting.