College Football 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then you don't make the team you already know can't save themselves #3. Period. It was done for the sake of TV ratings alone and it was a shitty thing to do.

FSU isn't that great of a football team. I've watched at least half a dozen FSU games this year and this sloppy, inconsistent football team can't hang with Alabama and Oregon. Quote me if I'm right or if I'm wrong.

I'm similarly confident that Alabama will dismantle OSU and their third string QB. OSU has never beaten an SEC team in a BCS bowl and I doubt they'll start now (their one win was retracted). I'm guessing Oregon/FSU will be a lot more entertaining if only because Oregon are known choke artists. They have a gift.

Last edited:
Then you don't make the team you already know can't save themselves #3. Period. It was done for the sake of TV ratings alone and it was a shitty thing to do.

Exactly. There's no way a team should drop from 3 to 6 after a 55-3 win. So that committee was either not taking everything seriously until the last vote, or switched up their parameters on the last vote. Either way its disingenuous at best and actually reeks of back door dealing, "Hi guys this is Urban Meyer, put us in the playoff and I'll give you all a buckeye helmet sticker and the private phone number of my personal barber".

Oh God yes. Who isn't? I'd prefer 16 but I mean, I get that they're young players, and with a 8-team, you're already getting close to NFL # of games per season to the winning teams.

Their whole M.O. is that they vote on a week-to-week basis. And the lack of transparency in their voting process outside of Jeff Long spouting nonsense for 5 minutes contributes to the confusion.

It's all recency bias. If Teams 3-6 are close, one destroys a 2-win team and doesn't play in a conference championship while the other manhandles an otherwise good Wisconsin squad with their 3rd-string QB, I can see why the jump happens.

FSU isn't that great of a football team. I've watched at least half a dozen FSU games this year and this sloppy, inconsistent football team can't hang with Alabama and Oregon. Quote me if I'm right or if I'm wrong.

They played 13 freshmen against Georgia Tech this weekend and were without 2 of their strongest players on defense the whole game. Folks don't mention the team's youth or its lack of experienced depth, which contribute to blown assignments, spurts of confidence/sloppiness, etc... They haven't put together a dominant performance for 60 minutes, but what team besides Oregon has done that consistently this season?

FSU has no business being undefeated and back-to-back conference champs. I think a lot of it stems from people overvaluing their production last year, a historical aberration, and undervaluing the strength of their conference. The ACC, top to bottom, is better than the Big Ten and Big 12 this year.

If the Oregon defense that manhandled Arizona shows up, they're going to blow them out. FSU has the athletes up-front to disrupt Oregon's spread offense and an offense that can extend drives down the length of the field.

And, per usual, let me repeat that they haven't lost a game in 2 calendar years.

Percentage wise there are more ranked big XII teams than ACC. I wouldn't be arguing for such dominance just yet. Well see what happens next year, regardless. And if Oklahoma hadn't blown that final game, it would've been more.

My money: Baylor goes back to sacking ass, with their 14 seniors gone.

I look at the ACC standings and all I see is mediocrity. Are Duke and Louisville really legit threats to win their bowls this year? Their out of conference opponents were so bad (especially Duke's) that I can't picture them jumping from a bunch of 6-6 ACC teams to mid-level SEC or Pac-12 competition successfully.

Then again, they pulled some bowl upsets last year, so who knows.

If the argument here is the relative superiority of the ACC to the Big-12, I don't think 6 win teams with poor out of conference performance is the way to go about it. I would take 7th place OK State over 7th place NC State, wouldn't you?

Last edited:
Three teams in a nine-team conference vs. four in a 14-team one. My only point is that the narrative points to the ACC being the weakest of the Power Five conferences overall and I don't think that's the case given the current state of the Big 12. It's not just the ranked squads, but the ones in the middle and toward the bottom.

Big 12 Top Tier:
TCU (11-1)
Baylor (11-1)
K-State (9-3)
---
Solid:
Oklahoma (8-4; biggest conference disappointment)
West Virginia (7-5)
---
Bowl-Eligible Spoilers:
Texas (6-6)
Oklahoma State (6-6)
---
Dumpster Fires:
Texas Tech (4-8)
Kansas (3-9)
Iowa State (2-10)

ACC Top Tier:
Florida State (13-0)
Georgia Tech (10-3)
Louisville (9-3)
Clemson (9-3)
---
Solid:
Duke (9-3)
Boston College (7-5)
---
Bowl-Eligible Spoilers:
NC State (7-5)
Miami (6-6)
North Carolina (6-6)
Pitt (6-6)
Virginia Tech (6-6; biggest conference disappointment)
---
See Ya Next Year:
Virginia (5-7)
---
Dumpster Fires:
Wake Forest (3-9)
Syracuse (3-9)

I look at the ACC standings and all I see is mediocrity. Are Duke and Louisville really legit threats to win their bowls this year? Their out of conference opponents were so bad (especially Duke's) that I can't picture them jumping from a bunch of 6-6 ACC teams to mid-level SEC or Pac-12 competition successfully.

If the argument here is the relative superiority of the ACC to the Big-12, I don't think 6 win teams with poor out of conference performance is the way to go about it. I would take 7th place OK State over 7th place NC State, wouldn't you?

Weaving through the advanced stats compiled at Football Outsiders favors the ACC vs. Big 12 consistently: FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2014 OVERALL COLLEGE FOOTBALL RATINGS

Check out FEI defense with Louisville, Clemson, and Virginia Tech all in the Top 5. Louisville hasn't had their starting QB or #1 option at receiver (LeVante Parker) for at least half of the games. Barring an early season loss to a stout Virginia defense on the road (the same team that almost toppled UCLA at that point in the season), they've played at an elite level in their conference. I like the matchup against Georgia, should be a hell of a game.

Going back to your point on comparing non conference records, Okie State played 3 (FSU, 1 FCS, 1 Group of Five) to NC State's 4 (2 FCS and 2 Group of Five teams). If OK State had a chance to schedule a creampuff without this round robin system, they absolutely would. Checking out their wins and losses they played to their relative potential, middle-of-the-pack squads in their conferences.

We can all agree that the SEC West and Pac-12 South are the current meat grinders in college football. After that, comparing conferences or even divisions within conferences, gets dicey. All I am saying is that the divide between the ACC and Big 12 isn't all that great, and that this year the ACC has more competitive squads across the board than the Big 12.

I could be wrong, but who gives a shit!

Thanks for the reminder about Louisville's injuries this year, I don't pay close enough attention to the ACC to keep track of that. I'll admit to ignorance on certain ACC matters.

I was really disappointed by NC State's resume because I remember them being more competitive than that due to their inflated early record and close game with FSU. They lost to every solid team they played and their most impressive win is...North Carolina? Surely OK State knocking off OU puts them on a higher tier. If we can agree that's where the line of competitive Big-12 teams ends, I don't think the conference has much to be ashamed of. 70% of the conference is spoiler-level at worst.

Last edited:
Okie State stunning a rival to become bowl-eligible means something, sure. NC State played out of their minds against defending champs at home after they blew their asses out the year prior... in a 3-win season with a new coach. I think those are the intangible points that rarely get discussed when the emphasis is on pure wins and losses. Were they to play each other directly, I'd say it's about even... which goes against the consensus that the ACC is a weak conference.

You argue that FSU hasn't played to a level befitting a playoff team. I'd counter with the fact that 5 teams came into games against them off of a bye week or an FCS opponent (Clemson, Louisville, Miami, Boston College, Florida), dealt with major injuries with their front seven all season, and still found ways to go undefeated in consecutive seasons. The same argument could be made for a host of other squads for various reasons, since the prevailing discussion points for college football are reductive and nearly impossible due to the entrenched regionalism & stratification of the sport.

The most fun thing about the NCAA football games as of late, before they discontinued the series, was mixing around the conferences.

Evening up the SEC West & East, geographically making sense of a post-Big East lineup, and bolstering the Big 12 & ACC is a lot of fun.

Oh wait, I'm a hopeless nerd? Probably.

Big Eaaaast.

"Hey everyone, have you heard? We're joining the Big East!"

Nobody told me in three years near every notable program would leave and we'd be the best program and the name would change and and and ?

Harbaugh will be announced as new UM head coach on 12/28. Press conference following Tuesday. I can absolutely guarantee it. I would bet money on it, but there has been such a huge sudden swing in Harbaugh to UM recently that they shut it down.

PS: I have real connections here. I have relatives up there and they know people who are way up there. The media is just feeding a massive head fake. My grandfather knows AD Jim Hackett personally.
Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bob you futuristic predicting son of a b!tch...........

I'm not arguing against you. I pounded the table that LeBron was returning to Cleveland for a year before it actually happened for much the same reason. I'm just saying you weren't exactly shocking the world by correctly predicting an offer. As Ashley pointed out too.

Also, "media" is a plural word, the media are a bunch of clowns.

I'm not arguing against you. I pounded the table that LeBron was returning to Cleveland for a year before it actually happened for much the same reason. I'm just saying you weren't exactly shocking the world by correctly predicting an offer. As Ashley pointed out too.

Also, "media" is a plural word, the media are a bunch of clowns.

Well. There is about a 99% chance he'll accept and the media has been treating people like they're delusional morons if they said that Harbaugh to UM is very possible.
Now they're backtracking and only humiliating themselves more and I'm enjoying it.
Hopefully San Fran just moves on very quickly so we can get this done before Christmas because Harbaugh will never quit on his team, even though they're eliminated. 49ers are being a-holes by not firing him.

Harbaugh will be announced as new UM head coach on 12/28. Press conference following Tuesday. I can absolutely guarantee it. I would bet money on it, but there has been such a huge sudden swing in Harbaugh to UM recently that they shut it down.

PS: I have real connections here. I have relatives up there and they know people who are way up there. The media is just feeding a massive head fake. My grandfather knows AD Jim Hackett personally.

I said this on December 7.
:up: Yeah that's right, I just :up: my own post.

wsYTWMC.gif

Back
Top Bottom