College Football 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sarkisian to USC.

So yeah. That happened.

One co-coordinator didn't work out, so let's try the other one. Odd move.

It's going to be an interesting few days. The fanbase is pretty upset, but apparently the players are devastated. They are meeting right now and word is that some players are talking about not playing in the bowl game. Hopefully that's just emotions talking, but it's tough to see. The past 4 years have been very tough on this program and the players really loved Coach O.

That said, I'm not exactly happy about this hire either. I don't think he's a bad coach, but I also don't think he's worth not trying out Coach O. I do think he's better than Coach Kiffin, given the absolute disaster he started with up in Washington.

This past weekend was one of the most awesome weekends of College Football I've ever seen. So many amazing/close games, with a lot on the line, be it National title implications or just bragging rights/trophies between rivals. I'm not gonna lose much sleep over the BCS rankings and who goes to what Bowl because it's the same shit, different schools every single year. I'll instead opt to just continue to enjoy remembering what unfolded on Saturday. Not saying that my approach is right, or wrong, just saying that I wish sports fans could every once in a while just bask a bit in what happened instead of immediately debating the aftermath.

No, your approach is right.

I mean, debating is part and parcel with being a sports fan, I would never deny or discourage it...it's just, I don't know, sometimes maybe giving the whining a rest and just enjoying the games and performances might be a good tonic. I am speaking of the sports fan community at large, not any individuals on here.

Also, my perspective might be slightly different because I lived for so many years with no playoff of any kind. The season just.....ended and the polls were the polls. Much as the BCS has its myriad flaws, I still appreciate the existence of a title game, something that was missing from College Football for a very long time.

BUT THAT IS JUST ME

If my posts come across as whining, that's a shame (I realize you're speaking in genralities), I just have a lot of fun debating college football. I don't just do it on here. Watching the games is my favorite part, but trying to figure out how the polls will shake out is almost as great.
Again, this is only because of the nature of this one particular sport. In any other league, things like power rankings are absolutely meaningless to me.

To each their own, I think a lot of it, for me, has to do with the way I was introduced to college football and the BCS (meaning: the TCU /Boise /Utah fiasco days)

Speaking in general, not you. There's a fuckton of internet whining about the BCS every single week and it just gets old. Not telling anyone how to enjoy themselves, just more pointing out what pleases me and how awesome this past weekend was. That's it.

This weekend was one of my favorite weekends of college football since I graduated, so I'm right there with you.

The love and adrenaline that came with being a student will never be matched, but sometimes I find myself close and it's awesome.

I was watching the Auburn game on play by play mobile updates. None of us could believe it.

As for UCFs game I was at a bar in Boston and probably the only person there watching the game. Gotta hand it to them, they sure know how to make games exciting.

I have a friend who is the biggest college football fan I've ever met (like, turn down dates because of weeknight MACtion obsessed), and he LOVES the BCS. Thinks it's just the greatest. I'm exhausted from arguing with him about it, I guess.

So yeah. That happened.

It's going to be an interesting few days. The fanbase is pretty upset, but apparently the players are devastated. They are meeting right now and word is that some players are talking about not playing in the bowl game. Hopefully that's just emotions talking, but it's tough to see. The past 4 years have been very tough on this program and the players really loved Coach O.

That said, I'm not exactly happy about this hire either. I don't think he's a bad coach, but I also don't think he's worth not trying out Coach O. I do think he's better than Coach Kiffin, given the absolute disaster he started with up in Washington.

I hope those players boycott the bowl game. Hayden will probably breakdown and beg Coach O to come back.

So yeah. That happened.

Well the picture in Washington in 2008 was a bit trickier- it wasn't that Willingham couldn't bring in talent, because he recruited Jake Locker and a whole host of players Sarkisian ended up leaning quite heavily on in 2009-2011. It was more that he and his assistant coaches were so unpleasant that when Locker went down to injury the team quit and a mediocre 3 to 5 win team completely cratered. If you look at computer rankings of UW from 2006 to 2012, with the obvious exception of 2008 the team was actually bouncing about the same quality level the whole time.

This year legitimately was Sarkisian's baby front-to-back and the team took a step forward. But while they were 8-4, it's just...if you're an optimist, Jeff Sagarin had the Huskies ranked 10th in the nation. They were good, but I'm not sure I saw quite that quality on the field. But I suppose that's the point of computer rankings.

This isn't a bad decision. I think Sarkisian is a great communicator and has a chance to organize the USC talent pipeline effectively in a way that maybe Kiffin couldn't. But I also don't think in his time at Washington he displayed The Next Step that everyone was waiting for to distinguish UW, so that's a gamble USC is going to have to deal with going forward.

Speaking in general, not you. There's a fuckton of internet whining about the BCS every single week and it just gets old. Not telling anyone how to enjoy themselves, just more pointing out what pleases me and how awesome this past weekend was. That's it.

We've only got the BCS for essentially 5 or 6 more days.
It's the Big Bad Bogeyman, I suppose.

Hell, the very year before the BCS started Nebraska had to go play #3 Tennessee and Peyton Manning and waxed them by 25. Yet Michigan got to go play in the Rose Bowl against the one-man Jake The Snakes. And of course they won and so Nebraska had to share that national title with Michigan. The year before that there was a fucking rematch between UF and FSU even though FSU had already beat them. Five years before that, another shared national title because Washington had to go play in the precious Rose Bowl instead of playing Miami. The year before that, another shared title. Colorado and GA Tech. In between several teams like undefeated Penn State (in 1994?) didn't even get an opportunity to play for it. And that's only lightly touching on the NINETIES. The BCS definitely solved a problem.

And that is ALL it was designed to do. Match 1 vs 2.
The crap about the mid-majors was shoehorned in.

I thought the old system was pretty cool to a certain extent. It definitely made several more bowl games mean that much more. But the BCS mostly solved the idiotic idea of split-national titles. Mostly. It worked in 14/15 years. And that beats 3 split titles in the 8 years prior to the BCS coming into play.

That said, may we bitch about ESPN incessantly sucking Southern FriEd Cock?

We have a dedicated thread for ESPN suckitude in general.

Yeah but ESPN's suckitude in the case of college football is surpassing all those other areas and deserves its own recognition. I mean, I get why they cover the Yankees and Red Sox (for only one example) so much and as a fan of the Cardinals it doesn't bother me one bit.

Their bias towards whatever they are biased towards (pick a team/player) in all other sports doesn't negatively affect the Blue Jays or the Vikings or the Utah Jazz's 'recruiting'. Whereas every HS kid in America watches ESPN, maybe even in most cases - exclusively. It has a huge effect. And they have pushed all their chips in the middle with the SEC.

Although FOX's quest is admirable, ESPN still has an effective monopoly on CFB. Owning all ACC content, a huge chunk of SEC content, including the SEC Network starting next year, a sizeable chunk of the Big XII, the B1G and the PAC-12 and all the other 'Group of Five' leagues. And although I hate them, and I certainly loathe Urban Meyer, their disrespect towards Ohio State and the B1G in general is disgusting.

And just yesterday (among countless examples) instead of 'College Football Daily' airing on ESPNU like it always does, they had Paul "biggest SEC homer alive" Finebaum's radio show on the air in its place, which was nothing but a moanfest for why Ohio State has no business playing in the title game if they win Saturday. Because..."SEC!" It's not the specifics of the argument (hell, I might even agree, but it's irrelevant), it's the transparent agenda.

But yeah, next time I rant about this, I'll just bump the other thread. I don't want to derail the TCU/UCF update thread.

Winston will play in the ACC title game; the state attorney's decision won't be until the following week.

It's the title game he will probably miss out on. Even then, it's a month out and I have very little doubt that he'll magically be cleared to play.
Looks like the state's attorney decision IS coming before the title game. Apparently happening at 2 p.m. tomorrow.

He is good to go. If there were charges they wouldn't wait.

Going back to the BCS discussion, I was being glib in responding to NSW's two cents, but in all actuality find the ranking argument frustrating. The same talking points are rehashed each week, burrowed into the ground by the same pundits usually to push a particular agenda. Surprisingly, it's all rooted in financial interest, either from broadcasters, advertisers, bowl sponsors, or the university's own athletic departments. That's just the way it is. U2DM's points about pre-BCS titles is very well-founded; I was too young to know those salad days and I know a good bunch of the folks here were too to some extent.

All that I mean to say is that outside chatter really takes away from enjoying the shit on the field. Like usual, NSW expressed it more eloquently and honestly than I could so I'll piggy back offa that.

Looks like the state's attorney decision IS coming before the title game. Apparently happening at 2 p.m. tomorrow.

Very surprising. All accounts point toward a press conference meaning that he's not being charged. I imagine there was pressure to quell it before the Heisman deadline.

Either way, this situation sucks and has soured what should have been a fantastic season.

No charge for Jameis. The amount of people celebrating on my news feed is sickening.

Did you see those idiots behind his lawyer during the press conference? I know from experience ... it's not a great look.

I've been working all day and haven't had a chance to watch it. What you're saying doesn't surprise me though.

Does NIUs loss really mean UCF is Fiesta Bowl bound? That's a terrible fit.

It's all about TV ratings isn't it? No reason why this team shouldn't be in Miami or NO other than that.

Back
Top Bottom