College Football 2013 - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #526
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Winston will play in the ACC title game; the state attorney's decision won't be until the following week. It's the title game he will probably miss out on. Even then, it's a month out and I have very little doubt that he'll magically be cleared to play.
Convenient timing.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #527
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Convenient timing.
Funny how that all works.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #528
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Screw the football gods for forcing me to root for Ohio State.
I don't mind pulling for FSU.

#AnybodybutSEC
Old 12-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #529
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Coaches poll is out. UCF moves up three spots because 3 teams ahead of them lost. That's how it works.
This is just a bit of Non-AQ paranoia from back in my TCU days, but I wonder if they moved them up to save them from more NIU embarrassment in their last year. UCF needs to jump NIU to stop NIU making a bowl:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #530
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Sarkisian to USC.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #531
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

This is just a bit of Non-AQ paranoia from back in my TCU days, but I wonder if they moved them up to save them from more NIU embarrassment in their last year. UCF needs to jump NIU to stop NIU making a bowl:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.
I don't see where it says the other team loses their AQ... it's just one less at large selection?

Or are you just saying the BCS itself is trying to eliminate too many "no-name" teams?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #532
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Sarkisian to USC.
One co-coordinator didn't work out, so let's try the other one. Odd move.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #533
The Male

If you're not in the top 16, you shouldn't go to a BCS bowl. Hell, top 12. The system sucks and I'm glad they're changing it.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #534
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Or are you just saying the BCS itself is trying to eliminate too many "no-name" teams?
This, I wasn't so much targeting UCF in that post as I was pointing out how much of a disaster not great NIU was last year.

No matter what they do, though, if we end another season with two undefeated teams, it will be a glorious slap in the face to this ludicrous system.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #535
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
If you're not in the top 16, you shouldn't go to a BCS bowl. Hell, top 12. The system sucks and I'm glad they're changing it.
I have a problem with how teams get ranked more than how they choose who goes...

There's a bias based upon names alone. And name bias aside even, the idea of power rankings inserts a totally different type of bias, where a team is "expected" to be at value x early on and that weights them down. Order of schedule means everything then.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #536
Blue Crack Supplier

This past weekend was one of the most awesome weekends of College Football I've ever seen. So many amazing/close games, with a lot on the line, be it National title implications or just bragging rights/trophies between rivals. I'm not gonna lose much sleep over the BCS rankings and who goes to what Bowl because it's the same shit, different schools every single year. I'll instead opt to just continue to enjoy remembering what unfolded on Saturday. Not saying that my approach is right, or wrong, just saying that I wish sports fans could every once in a while just bask a bit in what happened instead of immediately debating the aftermath.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #537
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post

I have a problem with how teams get ranked more than how they choose who goes...

There's a bias based upon names alone. And name bias aside even, the idea of power rankings inserts a totally different type of bias, where a team is "expected" to be at value x early on and that weights them down. Order of schedule means everything then.
Agreed, the system is fundamentally broken from the top down. But then college football changes it every 5-10 years and has yet to find one that pleases everybody, so perhaps that perfect compromise doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
This past weekend was one of the most awesome weekends of College Football I've ever seen. So many amazing/close games, with a lot on the line, be it National title implications or just bragging rights/trophies between rivals. I'm not gonna lose much sleep over the BCS rankings and who goes to what Bowl because it's the same shit, different schools every single year. I'll instead opt to just continue to enjoy remembering what unfolded on Saturday. Not saying that my approach is right, or wrong, just saying that I wish sports fans could every once in a while just bask a bit in what happened instead of immediately debating the aftermath.
So, then, I suppose you have the right attitude for now. Let's just enjoy the fruits of our crappy, broken league until the offseason, when we'll have all the time in the world to complain.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #538
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Oh, I enjoyed the shit out of this past weekend with that incredible finish, Penn State's mammoth upset and Villanova kicking ass down in the Bahamas.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #539
Blue Crack Addict

Also, Penn State has let two assistant coaches go, including their linebacker coach who is considered one of the best in the nation. Kind of odd. Maybe they're moving to a 3-4? Still, he's one of their top recruiters.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #540
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Debating how much the BCS sucks is almost part of what I love about College Football, though. I love the games so much and I also love to talk about the implications of those games, there's no other sport with such a ridiculous system, it seems almost impossible not to link the two.

It's all part of the fun for me.

That being said, last weekend was awesome and I think this weekend is going to be even better.

I can't tell you what it meant to me to see that end to TCU's season. Did we lose? Hell yeah. But did we keep it within 3 points? Hell yeah.

Tags
college, football