College Football 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PhilsFan said:
They're not going to fire him. They'll force him to retire at season's end.

Then that's disgraceful on the part of the administration.

JoePa's coaching legacy for me is over. He's simply another coward who helped cover up the molestation of numerous children. If he has any sort of a backbone he'll resign. Now.

The president of the university has said the athletic director and vice president (the ones with the actual charges) have his unconditional support. This is where we are. So, yeah, I doubt they're making quick moves on Paterno.

This situation is disgusting and disturbing. I don't see much in the way of this ending well for anyone at Penn state involved.

Before this past weekend, it was kind of exciting to be rooting for Penn State football for the first time since I've been here. We had a chance. Could we beat Nebraska in our last home game of the year? The idea was fun.

Now the atmosphere at Beaver Stadium is going to be awkward. Can we sing "may no act of ours bring shame" as we do every Saturday? Can we cheer for this coaching staff as they take the field? I don't know. I might not know for a while.

Yeah, the university will recover in a few years' time. But I have a year and a half left. And it's basically been shot right to shit.

I read it on Saturday. It's just miserable.

It should be noted that the DA who decided not to press charges into 1998? He went missing six years ago. Parked his car in a parking lot and dumped his laptop in the river. Never heard from again. The last thing he ever searched on Google? "How to destroy a hard drive."

PhilsFan said:
It should be noted that the DA who decided not to press charges into 1998? He went missing six years ago. Parked his car in a parking lot and dumped his laptop in the river. Never heard from again. The last thing he ever searched on Google? "How to destroy a hard drive."
Well now it just turned into a major motion picture, or at least an episode of SVU.

But in all seriousness, I couldn't even read that whole thing. Awful.

do you honestly want me to believe that in 1998 University Police investigated the long time defensive coordinator and, at that time, assumed successor to the throne for child molestation, and Joe Paterno, the human personification of Penn State, didn't know anything about it?

Give me a break. I'm sure that JoePa telling Sandusky a few months later that he would not be the next coach at PSU, and Sandusky soon retiring after that, wasn't related whatsoever...

Joe Paterno chose the image of Penn State over the protection of innocent children. He should be fired. Now.

Don't give me this "well he passed it up to the chain" bullshit. He WAS the chain. If he went to the AD or President of the school and demanded that Sandusky was banned from campus, it would have happened. But then it would have been public. Then people would have asked why, and eventually it would come out. He turned a blind eye to protect the Penn State brand, and in doing so, he is directly responsible for allowing this monster to continue molesting children.

Completely agree. Just a horrible story. So sad because everyone was led to believe if there ever was a clean program, on all levels, it was Penn St.

This is ruining everyone here. Lives, educations, jobs ... everything is being destroyed in front of our eyes.

This is the most miserable thing I've ever been a part of. Hundreds of thousands of lives are being irrevocably altered by this.

I'm trying to follow some of the rumors on THE TWITTER! and people are saying that Paterno wanted to talk about the scandal during today's press conference, but the school president didn't want him to, and so it was canceled.

I know it seems horrible right now, Peef, and it is horrible, but I think that a Penn State degree will still ultimately be highly valued. People in the real world aren't going to judge academic merit based on an incident within the football program.

He would end up saying the wrong thing and making it worse.

Gotta love the "football only" questions announcement prior to the cancellation.

Its only Tuesday, no way he coaches on Saturday.

Danny Boy said:
I know it seems horrible right now, Peef, and it is horrible, but I think that a Penn State degree will still ultimately be highly valued. People in the real world aren't going to judge academic merit based on an incident within the football program.

Co-signed

I'm a journalism major. I cover sports. My job is based on what I do with Penn State athletics. This changes the whole game.

I'm a journalism major. I cover sports. My job is based on what I do with Penn State athletics. This changes the whole game.

Make a name for yourself and go get an exclusive interview with JoePa.

I don't think this incident is going to affect your education and future career as others have said, right now everyone is reacting to the news...in the end the culpable parties are the only ones whose reputations/livelihoods will suffer. You'll be fine.

Just graduate and get out before the lawsuits start and bankrupt the school

This is ruining everyone here. Lives, educations, jobs ... everything is being destroyed in front of our eyes.

This is the most miserable thing I've ever been a part of. Hundreds of thousands of lives are being irrevocably altered by this.

This is really the major problem with sports being such an integral part of higher education. If indeed the school administration knew about these issues and refused to act, it is just another instance of universities placing the monetary and commercial concerns of their sporting programs above the overall well-being of their student body. I really think that college sports should just be completely separated from academic life - make it a paid, semi-pro league, and sever this damnable connection between education and sports. The "student-athlete" in major programs is little more than a bloody myth anyway.

Watching a replay of Matt Millen breaking down on Sportscenter. Damn. This dude looks completely bewildered.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom