College Football 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
True. I hope someone over there lets him go today.

If he holds on into tomorrow, he will end up staying at least through the Neb game.

The sad part is that Paterno has admitted he should have done more and has decided to resign, while the others are all fighting for their jobs. Curley and Schultz took temporary leaves, they never resigned. Spanier is still president, won't talk to the media, and in fact is sneaking out of back doors to avoid everyone.

Paterno is wrong and is still more right than the others. Just sad.

Will Penn State continue to make decisions based on Paterno's legacy instead of, you know, doing the right thing?

With all the noise being made from both "support JoePa" and "fuck JoePa" sides, the safer thing to do is keep him around for a few more games. It's not the right thing to do long-term, as it's going to further underline the corruption of Penn State's administration, but it will put a smile on a few faces if they manage to win any of these games, which I personally doubt they will.

Back to college football, has any program so desperately needed to be good immediately after a staff overhaul as the 2012 Nittany Lions? Recruiting is already fucked, but the school will be buried, quickly, if the team doesn't show a certain level of quality from the get-go. Otherwise, if you attend Penn State, not only are you playing at Rapey McChild Molester State, you are also being coached by some dipshit who is decidedly not legendary like Paterno.

444214128.png

ohhhhhhhh where to begin with this one...

oh... and btw, yea..

9917290-large.jpg

gingers have no soul.

Spanier's out, apparently.

And I can't believe Paterno will actually be coaching these last three games. Damn.

Paterno's statement

STATE COLLEGE, Pa., Nov. 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.

Are you kidding me? Of course they do, Joe, you piece of shit. Of course they do.

It's probably best to begin searching for a coaching replacement early. And considering the severity of this scandal, the Penn State brass will almost certainly be looking for someone who refuses to be lumped in with a diddler.

So really, there's only one option.

lcqe1.jpg

I don't know, man. He released this statement to try and ensure that he would finish the season, to get in ahead of everything, but isn't there still the possibility that the Penn St. board gives him the boot before Saturday? I mean, it's only Wednesday. And a lot of people seem to be on the "He needs to go today" bandwagon.

if he coaches Saturday, the players carry him off after the game like a hero. He doesn't deserve that.

I realize that JoPa isn't the only one who needs to go here. But, like it or not, he is the public face of the program that let this happen and therefore needs to be let go immediately. The AD, VP and probably the president should also be fired as well as soon as possible.

With all the noise being made from both "support JoePa" and "fuck JoePa" sides, the safer thing to do is keep him around for a few more games. It's not the right thing to do long-term, as it's going to further underline the corruption of Penn State's administration, but it will put a smile on a few faces if they manage to win any of these games, which I personally doubt they will.

Back to college football, has any program so desperately needed to be good immediately after a staff overhaul as the 2012 Nittany Lions? Recruiting is already fucked, but the school will be buried, quickly, if the team doesn't show a certain level of quality from the get-go. Otherwise, if you attend Penn State, not only are you playing at Rapey McChild Molester State, you are also being coached by some dipshit who is decidedly not legendary like Paterno.
Everything sucks and is going to continue to suck here.

isn't there still the possibility that the Penn St. board gives him the boot before Saturday?

Sure there is.

He may last another week but not much more than that.
Especially if/when recruits start decommitting.

But more so because of public outcry. I don't know or have read of, or have seen anyone, that is remotely aware of this situation, that thinks he shouldn't be fired now - outside of deluded Nittany Lion diehards.

What is the motivation to finish the season for JoePa?
Totally selfish. And I have always liked and admired him...not anymore.

If the university has any spine remaining at all, they will fire Paterno right now. But it won't, because the university is ruled by money rather than concern for its student body and its academics. Just as Wisconsin administration was content to bow to anti-union muckraking earlier this year, so Penn State will bow to the "legacy" of Paterno. And that is damn sad.

Former player Michael Haynes was just on ESPN. Says his mom was a grad student around the time this was all happening and had heard the rumors about Sandusky.

Here's one thing that does not seem to have been considered yet, at least in this thread: if Paterno does indeed plan to coach for the rest of the season, does he have any idea how much abject hatred and derision he is going to face when he ventures outside of his little cocoon at Penn State? He'll be lucky if he doesn't get stoned - not in the drug sense - when he goes to Columbus and Madison.

Back
Top Bottom