College Football 2010 - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #631
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
Obviously if a team loses 1 or more games during the season, they are not very likely to finish #1, but that isn't what I was concerned with.

The "low/unranked team finishing 12-0 and being relegated to a much weaker bowl game than they deserve" scenario is also an injustice but is also not super common.

Much more common is when Team A begins the season highly ranked and ends up with a poor record, or vice versa. If Team B beats Team A early in the season, they will receive more credit for the victory than Team C will for beating Team A late in the season when they're 6-4, and the reverse is true as well.
It sounds almost as if you are making the case for some type of playoff system, and you will not find any argument with me in that.

Of course, the scenario with the "low/unranked team finishing 12-0 and being relegated to a much weaker bowl game than they deserve" does happen. And dare i suggest that it happens because they are a good team who sailed through a weak conference and everybody knows it, hence the low ranking?

Yes they can still shock the world, trust me i know this all to well, but there is still something to be said for playing in a tough conference versus a bunch of cupcakes.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #632
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:02 AM
And there's something to be said for a sport that can end a season with two undefeated teams, but a declared champion.

But again, we're on the same side of the playoff argument.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #633
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
It sounds almost as if you are making the case for some type of playoff system, and you will not find any argument with me in that.
Meh. I'm really only arguing against polls and the people who fill them out (the coaches/student assistants especially). How many of them do you think carefully consider each team's entire season performance, and how many of them do you think just wing it week by week (and subject themselves to anchoring effects)?

I thought the old bowl system was okay -- just a bunch of games between roughly evenly matched teams, with no official pretensions towards determining a national champion.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #634
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
Meh. I'm really only arguing against polls and the people who fill them out (the coaches/student assistants especially). How many of them do you think carefully consider each team's entire season performance, and how many of them do you think just wing it week by week (and subject themselves to anchoring effects)?

I thought the old bowl system was okay -- just a bunch of games between roughly evenly matched teams, with no official pretensions towards determining a national champion.
Agreed. I hate that the new system makes me feel disappointed when my team makes the freaking Rose Bowl. That should never happen.

The best thing for polls, would be to not start them until after say the 4th week of the season.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #635
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:02 PM
Texas A&M to the SEC rumors are heating up again.

Probably just rumors, but if it were to happen, it could spell the end of the Big 12(10).

Texas with its own network may look to go Independent, one or more teams could follow A&M to the SEC, and the PAC-12/Big East could swoop in to pick up the remaining members.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #636
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:02 PM
I still cannot get into college football because of how awful the playoff system is. Which is a shame, since I'm in college and should be enjoying it the most.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #637
Blue Meth Addict

If it's any consolation, I live in an area where essentially all the teams I follow constantly get screwed over by the lack of a playoff system, and I still prefer college football by leaps and bounds to the NFL.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #638
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well lookie here.

SEC satisfied with current alignment, doesn't extend invite to Texas A&M - ESPN

Poor aggy.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #639
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo
If it's any consolation, I live in an area where essentially all the teams I follow constantly get screwed over by the lack of a playoff system, and I still prefer college football by leaps and bounds to the NFL.
It really is awful watching TCU with the knowledge that one off game results in a disappointing season. I could combat this by following one of the douchey Big 10 teams instead, but no amount of failure can possibly match the inner turmoil I would suffer every night with the knowledge that one day of my week would be wasted on Michigan or The Ohio fucking State University.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #640
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thamel of NYT
Consider that the Aggies’ last Big 12 title in football was in 1998 and their lone bowl victory since 1995 came in the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl. But as they walk the plank to be devoured in the SEC - hello, Louisiana State, Alabama and Auburn - at least Texas A&M’s leaders can revel in having the college sports world breathlessly follow them for a few days in August.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #641
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Good. Now the "FSU to the SEC" rumors can finally stop.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #642
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Um wow.

Miami Booster admits giving players extra benefits.

Oh and I expect Paul Dee to self sanction at least as severely as USC since "high profile players need high profile monitoring".
Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #643
I hate this place

Local Time: 12:02 PM
it's all about the U...

The U Song (Miami Hurricanes) - YouTube
Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #644
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

miami, my mammy
Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #645
Blue Crack Addict

Garrison, how do you feel about your team having the big bullseye on its back this year?

People gonna be hungry to knock you off.