College Football 2010 - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #586
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:15 PM
Good.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #587
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Five Buckeyes were allowed to play in the past year's Orange Bowl (OSU win over Arkansas) under the stipulation they would be suspended for the first 5 games of this year; since it appears that won't happen, thanks to Terrell Pryor going pro, should the NCAA revoke that win? revoke the game's MVP Trophy or is this something that may happen later than sooner???

Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #588
ONE
love, blood, life

I guess we pea-brains think alike!

Ohio State vacates 2010 football wins, Sugar Bowl - College Football - Rivals.com
Old 07-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #589
New Yorker

Its that time of year that I start looking forward to football starting up again.

College football is only five weeks away.

Looks like we've got a couple big early matchups on Sept 3:

Boise State--Georgia
Oregon--LSU

Also my school (BYU) will be starting in SEC country at Ole Miss on Sep 3, followed by a trip to Austin and the Texas Longhorns on Sept 10.

I can't wait
Old 07-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #590
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:15 AM
There are so many crappy non-con games the first 3-4 weeks that it makes games like the ones you list above even more fun.

Cannot wait.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #591
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm sorry, U2inUtah, but I really hope BYU embarrass themselves this year. No offense
Old 07-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #592
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm sorry, U2inUtah, but I really hope BYU embarrass themselves this year. No offense
Haha. You went to TCU right? TCU has absolutely kicked our ass the last 3 years I know we're the school everyone loves to hate

We're playing TCU this year at Cowboys Stadium in October. I'm hoping we finally get some revenge as this may be the last time we'll be playing each other for quite awhile with TCU going to the Big East in 2012 , and BYU going Independent in Football.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #593
Blue Crack Distributor

It's that BYU going independent thing that pissed me off. It's so fucking prententious. But yeah, I went to TCU, so I already had BYU baggage lol.

But I won't pretend I'm happy with TCU's conference decisions either.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #594
New Yorker

Quote:
It's that BYU going independent thing that pissed me off. It's so fucking prententious. But yeah, I went to TCU, so I already had BYU baggage lol.

But I won't pretend I'm happy with TCU's conference decisions either.
Yeah I can see how TCU fans would have felt that way. There are a lot of BYU fans, (including myself) that aren't sure Independence is the best move.

I would have loved to have seen a conference with Utah, BYU, TCU and Boise St, but when our rival Utah jumped ship to join the Pac-12, I think BYU felt that the Mountain West Conference was never going to get an Automatic BCS bid, and so they looked at other options.

One big reason was the crappy tv contract with the mtn. channel which only paid 1 million per season and allowed almost no national exposure and was impossible for most people to find.

Going independent allowed BYU to sign a TV deal with ESPN, worth upwards of 10 million a season and which ups their TV exposure dramatically, 8 of their games are on ESPN or ESPN2 this next year, with 3 more on ESPNU. It also gave BYU the freedom to broadcast any remaining games and replays on its BYUtv channel which is available worldwide and on most satellite tv packages. The mtn contract did not allow this.

Going Independent also allows them to schedule a lot of interesting new teams and matchups for the future which I like (6 year deal with ND, Texas, Georgia Tech, Penn State, Wisconsin West Virginia, Nebraska, etc). But I will also miss being in a conference and competing for a conference championship, especially if the team loses a couple games early in the year, what else is there to play for?

It all comes down to the BCS and automatic access to the BCS bowls. Utah got in a BCS conference, TCU will be in a BCS conference, and BYU was left out, so they felt Independence was the only move. Ideally, BYU fans are holding out hope of a Big 12 invite sometime in the future (if they decide to go back to 12 teams) but as of right now, that is unlikely anytime soon.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #595
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh I understand why they did it, I just find it a tad hilarious that BYU seems to think they're on the level (fanbase wise) with Notre Dame.

But, no, Utah was the only team that had jumped ship at the time, and IIRC, we knew that we were at least getting Boise the next year. Add to that Nevada and Fresno (and Hawaii?) with BYU and if TCU had stayed? In that scenario, I don't see why the MWC wouldn't have got an automatic berth if all teams stayed in the same quality or close to it that they were at last season (I.E. TCU, BYU, Boise, Fresno, Nevada, and Air Force are all contending teams, I might even be forgetting a team or two).
Old 07-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #596
New Yorker

Quote:
Oh I understand why they did it, I just find it a tad hilarious that BYU seems to think they're on the level (fanbase wise) with Notre Dame.

But, no, Utah was the only team that had jumped ship at the time, and IIRC, we knew that we were at least getting Boise the next year. Add to that Nevada and Fresno (and Hawaii?) with BYU and if TCU had stayed? In that scenario, I don't see why the MWC wouldn't have got an automatic berth if all teams stayed in the same quality or close to it that they were at last season (I.E. TCU, BYU, Boise, Fresno, Nevada, and Air Force are all contending teams, I might even be forgetting a team or two).
Agreed That would have been a fun conference with four teams at the top (BYU,TCU,Utah,Boise) that would rival the top four in the Big East, ACC or Pac-10. I think an Auto-bid would have been almost inevitable.

...and I don't think you'll find many BYU fans that think we're on the same level as Notre Dame (there are idiots in every fanbase though ). Of course we're not. We did have enough pull to get the deal with ESPN, but Steve Young working there had something to do with that, and ESPN and BYU have had a long history together. BYU was often on ESPN in the early days of the network. In fact the first College Football game shown on ESPN was BYU at Pitt in 1984.

I hated when people were saying "BYU is trying to be the Notre Dame of the West". The only thing BYU and ND have in common are they are religious based schools, and now they are both independent's in football.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #597
Blue Crack Distributor

/sigh, I suppose I can just continue to dream of that conference for the rest of my days .
Old 07-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #598
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

You watch that Longhorn Network yet, bitch(es)?
Old 07-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #599
Blue Crack Supplier

I suspect that I'll watch it for a half hour or so, come September, just out of professional curiosity.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #600
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well let me know what you think. Unfortunately for me, living a half mile from campus apparently puts you out of the coverage zone.