College Football 2010 - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #421
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:24 PM
They could rule over a major conference, why is this a bad decision? It ain't fair for them to want another non-AQ to lose to get a BCS bid if they stay this competitive.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #422
The Male

Local Time: 12:24 PM
So uh, I guess geographic location isn't of even the most remote importance to these decisions?

Anyway, they can beat the shit out of one set of mediocre teams instead of another. No major loss. I was thinking they had headed to the Pac-10 or some other talented conference instead. Plus, they're an AQ now. Smart decision, way smarter than Brigham Young thinking they can go solo because they beat Wyoming every year.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #423
Blue Crack Distributor

It's a lot of things that really piss me off about the decision:

1) The Big East is an even more wtf regional fit than the Mountain West already was
2) TCU sucks at Basketball, so what's the point?
3) With Boise, Nevada and Fresno, the MWC was already likely to get the final AQ spot from the Big East anyways.

Why go to the Big East of all conferences, is my biggest question. If you're going to abandon (and by all means destroy) a conference that has treated you pretty well, why go to the fucking Big East?
Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #424
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Why go to the Big East of all conferences, is my biggest question. If you're going to abandon (and by all means destroy) a conference that has treated you pretty well, why go to the fucking Big East?
The Big East sucking + their inexplicable AQ status = BCS bowls every season. No more having to hold your breath that Boise will lose to Hawaii!

But yeah, geographically, I have no idea what the hell is happening here.

Now.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #425
Blue Crack Distributor

The Mountain West becoming an AQ + Boise State = Something to look forward to every season, and the chance of a BCS bowl.

That's the real lose here. That Boise/TCU Rivalry was going to be prime football every fucking year.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #426
The Male

Yeah, but now you've got the mixed emotion Trashley WVU/TCU battle every year. Good fucking times.

Now.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #427
Blue Crack Distributor

I couldn't honestly give a shit. . Sorry, but there's nothing inherantly exciting to me about watching TCU face off with Big East schools.

Not saying there's anything exciting about most of the MWC either, but I know I looked forward to the Utah and BYU games every year, and while those may be gone (who knows, they could still easily be OOC games) there was the BIG TIME appeal of the Boise - TCU game.

Just fuck 'em, I guess money can buy anything.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #428
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:24 PM
As a fan of Big East basketball (via Villanova), I hate this move.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #429
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
3) With Boise, Nevada and Fresno, the MWC was already likely to get the final AQ spot from the Big East anyways.
This is what puzzles me the most. Even without that AQ spot, winning out would automatically get them a BCS berth. They wouldn't have to worry about another undefeated non-AQ keeping them out. So what do they actually get from the Big East that they would not from the MWC?

A better chance at a National Championship? Nope. Take this year for example, TCU would be in a worse position in the computers because not one Big East team is ranked. Also, only three times has a Big East team actually been in the National Championship (Miami twice and Virginia Tech) and those teams are not even in the conference anymore. The conference you are in does not factor in the BCS computers and the Big East is viewed as a joke by the voters. TCU was better off before this move. The whole thing feels reactionary.

Also, this completely screws over Boise State. The three best programs in the Mountain West just split and they are left with a essentially a slightly better WAC.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #430
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

The Big East is guaranteed a spot in a BCS bowl regardless of how they compare to a non-AQ or even an at-large BCS contender. If a 2-loss West Virginia wins out, they have a shot to play at either the Orange or Fiesta Bowl over a one-loss Michigan State, for instance.

That pressure to win out every year can be tremendous, look at what happened to Boise even in the midst of a 22-game winning streak. Sure, the leap from a non-AQ to the Big East isn't that great, but it at least provides some stability.

To me, this has more to do with the major conferences trying to quell the push for a playoff system than TCU being overly reactionary. With this current system in place, it works in TCU's favor to join a conference, as it would to Boise State.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #431
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
The Big East does provide stability but the MWC looked like they were going to be the 7th AQ conference which would have provided the same stability. Unless TCU felt that wasn't going to happen it seems like an impatient and reactionary move upon getting the offer. I do agree though with your take on the Big East's intentions.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #432
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Unless TCU felt that wasn't going to happen
Which is entirely possible. Perhaps those involved in making this decision knew something we didn't (VERY possible) and felt playing in a shitty conference getting an easy pass would ensure them more money and more bowl appearances than playing in a conference with superior competition that isn't guaranteed an AQ. The MWC is about par with the Big East as it stands, and will easily surpass them in the next two years, but without money or television contracts, what good does that do TCU? They've outgrown the MWC's means, if not quality.

I do believe it's a reactionary decision, based on what we know. The thing is, I can guarantee that the MWC will struggle to get their AQ status, and the blame will be lain on TCU (the inverse is true of the Big East keeping their AQ status), so it will be hard to tell just how wise of a choice it was.

Now.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #433
Blue Meth Addict

I've absolutely hated what The Mountain brought to the Mountain West, so to some extent I don't blame any team who was worth a damn for wanting to leave. I feel terrible for Boise State, as the conference change essentially became a lateral move for them.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #434
The Male

It's been a pretty shitty week for them, yeah.

But WAY better than being #11 makes it seem. They've had such a good season.

Now.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #435
Blue Crack Distributor

That ranking is part of the bullshit I'm sure TCU wants to leave in being in a non-AQ.

The fact is that this all just seems suspicious to me the more I think about it and in the end, TCU's just following the money, and while I shouldn't spite them for that, I am.