College Football 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Obviously if a team loses 1 or more games during the season, they are not very likely to finish #1, but that isn't what I was concerned with.

The "low/unranked team finishing 12-0 and being relegated to a much weaker bowl game than they deserve" scenario is also an injustice but is also not super common.

Much more common is when Team A begins the season highly ranked and ends up with a poor record, or vice versa. If Team B beats Team A early in the season, they will receive more credit for the victory than Team C will for beating Team A late in the season when they're 6-4, and the reverse is true as well.

It sounds almost as if you are making the case for some type of playoff system, and you will not find any argument with me in that.

Of course, the scenario with the "low/unranked team finishing 12-0 and being relegated to a much weaker bowl game than they deserve" does happen. And dare i suggest that it happens because they are a good team who sailed through a weak conference and everybody knows it, hence the low ranking?

Yes they can still shock the world, trust me i know this all to well, but there is still something to be said for playing in a tough conference versus a bunch of cupcakes.

And there's something to be said for a sport that can end a season with two undefeated teams, but a declared champion.

But again, we're on the same side of the playoff argument.

It sounds almost as if you are making the case for some type of playoff system, and you will not find any argument with me in that.

Meh. I'm really only arguing against polls and the people who fill them out (the coaches/student assistants especially). How many of them do you think carefully consider each team's entire season performance, and how many of them do you think just wing it week by week (and subject themselves to anchoring effects)?

I thought the old bowl system was okay -- just a bunch of games between roughly evenly matched teams, with no official pretensions towards determining a national champion.

Meh. I'm really only arguing against polls and the people who fill them out (the coaches/student assistants especially). How many of them do you think carefully consider each team's entire season performance, and how many of them do you think just wing it week by week (and subject themselves to anchoring effects)?

I thought the old bowl system was okay -- just a bunch of games between roughly evenly matched teams, with no official pretensions towards determining a national champion.

Agreed. I hate that the new system makes me feel disappointed when my team makes the freaking Rose Bowl. That should never happen.

The best thing for polls, would be to not start them until after say the 4th week of the season.

Texas A&M to the SEC rumors are heating up again.

Probably just rumors, but if it were to happen, it could spell the end of the Big 12(10).

Texas with its own network may look to go Independent, one or more teams could follow A&M to the SEC, and the PAC-12/Big East could swoop in to pick up the remaining members.

I still cannot get into college football because of how awful the playoff system is. Which is a shame, since I'm in college and should be enjoying it the most.

If it's any consolation, I live in an area where essentially all the teams I follow constantly get screwed over by the lack of a playoff system, and I still prefer college football by leaps and bounds to the NFL.

u2popmofo said:
If it's any consolation, I live in an area where essentially all the teams I follow constantly get screwed over by the lack of a playoff system, and I still prefer college football by leaps and bounds to the NFL.

It really is awful watching TCU with the knowledge that one off game results in a disappointing season. I could combat this by following one of the douchey Big 10 teams instead, but no amount of failure can possibly match the inner turmoil I would suffer every night with the knowledge that one day of my week would be wasted on Michigan or The Ohio fucking State University.

Pete Thamel of NYT said:
Consider that the Aggies’ last Big 12 title in football was in 1998 and their lone bowl victory since 1995 came in the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl. But as they walk the plank to be devoured in the SEC - hello, Louisiana State, Alabama and Auburn - at least Texas A&M’s leaders can revel in having the college sports world breathlessly follow them for a few days in August.

2en94z5.gif

Garrison, how do you feel about your team having the big bullseye on its back this year?

People gonna be hungry to knock you off.

Garrison, how do you feel about your team having the big bullseye on its back this year?

People gonna be hungry to knock you off.

oh absolutely they are! It's a blessing and a curse. I guess we just have to good enough and lucky enough to make it through the season w/o injuries (we've already had a couple in practice) and hopefully undefeated, and see what happens from there.

So I've paid a lot of money for tickets, flights, hotel, etc. to see LSU play Oregon in Dallas. At this point, looks like half of the LSU squad will be suspended/incarcerated.

Bummer.

I'm considering renting a black and white striped convict costume to wear to the game. Maybe I can get on SportsCenter.

Do it!

If you make a "Sportscenter is next!" sign, you'd be a lock

So I've paid a lot of money for tickets, flights, hotel, etc. to see LSU play Oregon in Dallas. At this point, looks like half of the LSU squad will be suspended/incarcerated.

Bummer.

I'm considering renting a black and white striped convict costume to wear to the game. Maybe I can get on SportsCenter.

:lol: Don't worry, half the Oregon squad will also be in jail. And it could always be worse. You could be Miami.

Oh and Boise's new unis are scary, like apocalypse scary.

286xv14.jpg

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Miami has suspended 8 players, soon to be 13 until the NCAA can rule on their eligibility. They are hoping for a ruling by the first game, but well it's the NCAA so good luck with that.

Miami begins suspending players.

And LSU has 2 players with warrants.

Arrest warrants issued for LSU players for fight - ESPN

I can't wait until we have real football to talk about. In good news, they are currently installing a huge video board at the LA Coliseum. :drool: It's the 2nd biggest in College Football. :drool:

2iht7ur.jpg

This means the people in Section 1 can now see the game.

The fun starts this Thursday, guys. Footballz. FOOTBALLZ. FOOTBALLZZZZZ!!!!!!!!11!!!1!1!!!!!

So, Mofo, are you excited about the Utes playing in the Pac-12?

Not really, as they're going to lose a bunch. I feel the same way about BYU. Oh well, still hope it works out for both teams in a positive manner. If not, they can sulk back to the Mountain West and have their kiesters handed to them by Boise State.

It is pretty crazy how quickly this season has snuck up on me. I'm super excited for some Fighting Illini football. Good luck to everybody.

Looks like the first televised game of the year is UNLV vs. Wisconsin on Thursday. Am I reading this correctly?

Back
Top Bottom