College Football 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I don't think that final timeout/kick situation is really a discussion priority. Like speed said, the game was over at that point. There's lots of other crazy shit to talk about.

Dyer thinking a play was blown dead, standing still, and then being told "RUN YOUR ASS! RUUUUUUUUUN!" and scampering for 30 extra yards. That shit was insane. Then letting him gash you again on that 3rd down play a few moments later. If I was an Oregon fan I'd be so frustrated. Earlier, they had the awesome fake punt, and then that receiver makes a miraculous catch to get them to a 1st and Goal. And...oops. Can't punch it in. That had to sting.

Wild game, yo.

Cam Newton's passing skills do not impress me much at all. I probably haven't seen him enough to make a final judgment but, yeah. If I was an NFL GM, I probably wouldn't draft him.

Kicking with time left on the clock isn't a bad idea, in case there's a bad snap or something like that.

True... but from the Oregon perspective... why open that window to officially end the game?

On the 30 yard extra dash... isn't there a rule (at least in the NFL) that says if you lose the ability to stand on your own power you are considered down by contact?

Auburn bringing the house on 4th-and-5 on Oregon's last drive seemed pretty dumb to me as well. Yeah, the defender got picked, but the Oregon receiver probably would have made the catch and gained big yards anyway. There was no need for Auburn to completely sell out on the play when Oregon still needed 40 more yards to tie the score.

True... but from the Oregon perspective... why open that window to officially end the game?

On the 30 yard extra dash... isn't there a rule (at least in the NFL) that says if you lose the ability to stand on your own power you are considered down by contact?

I have no idea what the NFL's precise rule is because the NFL doesn't publish a complete rulebook, but I'm pretty sure I've seen plays like that before in the NFL, and the runner's always been ruled live.

Yeah, I don't think that final timeout/kick situation is really a discussion priority. Like speed said, the game was over at that point. There's lots of other crazy shit to talk about.

Dyer thinking a play was blown dead, standing still, and then being told "RUN YOUR ASS! RUUUUUUUUUN!" and scampering for 30 extra yards. That shit was insane. Then letting him gash you again on that 3rd down play a few moments later. If I was an Oregon fan I'd be so frustrated. Earlier, they had the awesome fake punt, and then that receiver makes a miraculous catch to get them to a 1st and Goal. And...oops. Can't punch it in. That had to sting.

Wild game, yo.

Cam Newton's passing skills do not impress me much at all. I probably haven't seen him enough to make a final judgment but, yeah. If I was an NFL GM, I probably wouldn't draft him.

The two or three games I watched him in didn't exactly blow me away either tbh

No, there have been instances where a player is on top of a defender (or one of his teammates) and advances further. He's not down till a body part other than his foot or hand touches the ground.

No, there have been instances where a player is on top of a defender (or one of his teammates) and advances further. He's not down till a body part other than his foot or hand touches the ground.

Hmm well... they should get that rule into the works then. Kinda silly that he was forced down.

But then again that would interrupt players jumping over other players (And ending up on their backs).

I was thinking the same thing. I'll be intrigued where he and Pryor go in the draft, as they both seem like less athletic versions of Vince Young. Though Young has not been what I would call a "bust," he certainly has not been an unmitigated success, either.

My dad was VERY unhappy about this:

AP
2 TCU (3) 13-0 1392
3 Oregon 12-1 1379

USA Today:
2 TCU (1) 13-0 1336
3 Oregon 12-1 1333

I can't say that I care too much, at least they're in second, but it did come as quite a shock to me to hear about it. I honestly don't know if that's the norm or not, to have the losing team of the Championship game that close to second.

Five Buckeyes were allowed to play in the past year's Orange Bowl (OSU win over Arkansas) under the stipulation they would be suspended for the first 5 games of this year; since it appears that won't happen, thanks to Terrell Pryor going pro, should the NCAA revoke that win? revoke the game's MVP Trophy or is this something that may happen later than sooner???

Its that time of year that I start looking forward to football starting up again. :drool:

College football is only five weeks away.

Looks like we've got a couple big early matchups on Sept 3:

Boise State--Georgia
Oregon--LSU

Also my school (BYU) will be starting in SEC country at Ole Miss on Sep 3, followed by a trip to Austin and the Texas Longhorns on Sept 10.

I can't wait :up:

I'm sorry, U2inUtah, but I really hope BYU embarrass themselves this year. No offense :wink:

Haha. You went to TCU right? TCU has absolutely kicked our ass the last 3 years :reject: I know we're the school everyone loves to hate :wink:

We're playing TCU this year at Cowboys Stadium in October. I'm hoping we finally get some revenge as this may be the last time we'll be playing each other for quite awhile with TCU going to the Big East in 2012 :up:, and BYU going Independent in Football.

It's that BYU going independent thing that pissed me off. It's so fucking prententious. But yeah, I went to TCU, so I already had BYU baggage lol.

But I won't pretend I'm happy with TCU's conference decisions either.

It's that BYU going independent thing that pissed me off. It's so fucking prententious. But yeah, I went to TCU, so I already had BYU baggage lol.

But I won't pretend I'm happy with TCU's conference decisions either.

Yeah I can see how TCU fans would have felt that way. There are a lot of BYU fans, (including myself) that aren't sure Independence is the best move.

I would have loved to have seen a conference with Utah, BYU, TCU and Boise St, but when our rival Utah jumped ship to join the Pac-12, I think BYU felt that the Mountain West Conference was never going to get an Automatic BCS bid, and so they looked at other options.

One big reason was the crappy tv contract with the mtn. channel which only paid 1 million per season and allowed almost no national exposure and was impossible for most people to find.

Going independent allowed BYU to sign a TV deal with ESPN, worth upwards of 10 million a season and which ups their TV exposure dramatically, 8 of their games are on ESPN or ESPN2 this next year, with 3 more on ESPNU. It also gave BYU the freedom to broadcast any remaining games and replays on its BYUtv channel which is available worldwide and on most satellite tv packages. The mtn contract did not allow this.

Going Independent also allows them to schedule a lot of interesting new teams and matchups for the future which I like (6 year deal with ND, Texas, Georgia Tech, Penn State, Wisconsin West Virginia, Nebraska, etc). But I will also miss being in a conference and competing for a conference championship, especially if the team loses a couple games early in the year, what else is there to play for?

It all comes down to the BCS and automatic access to the BCS bowls. Utah got in a BCS conference, TCU will be in a BCS conference, and BYU was left out, so they felt Independence was the only move. Ideally, BYU fans are holding out hope of a Big 12 invite sometime in the future (if they decide to go back to 12 teams) but as of right now, that is unlikely anytime soon.

Oh I understand why they did it, I just find it a tad hilarious that BYU seems to think they're on the level (fanbase wise) with Notre Dame.

But, no, Utah was the only team that had jumped ship at the time, and IIRC, we knew that we were at least getting Boise the next year. Add to that Nevada and Fresno (and Hawaii?) with BYU and if TCU had stayed? In that scenario, I don't see why the MWC wouldn't have got an automatic berth if all teams stayed in the same quality or close to it that they were at last season (I.E. TCU, BYU, Boise, Fresno, Nevada, and Air Force are all contending teams, I might even be forgetting a team or two).

Oh I understand why they did it, I just find it a tad hilarious that BYU seems to think they're on the level (fanbase wise) with Notre Dame.

But, no, Utah was the only team that had jumped ship at the time, and IIRC, we knew that we were at least getting Boise the next year. Add to that Nevada and Fresno (and Hawaii?) with BYU and if TCU had stayed? In that scenario, I don't see why the MWC wouldn't have got an automatic berth if all teams stayed in the same quality or close to it that they were at last season (I.E. TCU, BYU, Boise, Fresno, Nevada, and Air Force are all contending teams, I might even be forgetting a team or two).

Agreed:up: That would have been a fun conference with four teams at the top (BYU,TCU,Utah,Boise) that would rival the top four in the Big East, ACC or Pac-10. I think an Auto-bid would have been almost inevitable.

...and I don't think you'll find many BYU fans that think we're on the same level as Notre Dame (there are idiots in every fanbase though :wink:). Of course we're not. We did have enough pull to get the deal with ESPN, but Steve Young working there had something to do with that, and ESPN and BYU have had a long history together. BYU was often on ESPN in the early days of the network. In fact the first College Football game shown on ESPN was BYU at Pitt in 1984.

I hated when people were saying "BYU is trying to be the Notre Dame of the West". The only thing BYU and ND have in common are they are religious based schools, and now they are both independent's in football.

Well let me know what you think. Unfortunately for me, living a half mile from campus apparently puts you out of the coverage zone.

Back
Top Bottom