College Football 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They could rule over a major conference, why is this a bad decision? It ain't fair for them to want another non-AQ to lose to get a BCS bid if they stay this competitive.

So uh, I guess geographic location isn't of even the most remote importance to these decisions?

Anyway, they can beat the shit out of one set of mediocre teams instead of another. No major loss. I was thinking they had headed to the Pac-10 or some other talented conference instead. Plus, they're an AQ now. Smart decision, way smarter than Brigham Young thinking they can go solo because they beat Wyoming every year.

It's a lot of things that really piss me off about the decision:

1) The Big East is an even more wtf regional fit than the Mountain West already was
2) TCU sucks at Basketball, so what's the point?
3) With Boise, Nevada and Fresno, the MWC was already likely to get the final AQ spot from the Big East anyways.

Why go to the Big East of all conferences, is my biggest question. If you're going to abandon (and by all means destroy) a conference that has treated you pretty well, why go to the fucking Big East?

Why go to the Big East of all conferences, is my biggest question. If you're going to abandon (and by all means destroy) a conference that has treated you pretty well, why go to the fucking Big East?

The Big East sucking + their inexplicable AQ status = BCS bowls every season. No more having to hold your breath that Boise will lose to Hawaii!

But yeah, geographically, I have no idea what the hell is happening here.

The Mountain West becoming an AQ + Boise State = Something to look forward to every season, and the chance of a BCS bowl.

That's the real lose here. That Boise/TCU Rivalry was going to be prime football every fucking year.

Yeah, but now you've got the mixed emotion Trashley WVU/TCU battle every year. Good fucking times.

I couldn't honestly give a shit. :shrug:. Sorry, but there's nothing inherantly exciting to me about watching TCU face off with Big East schools.

Not saying there's anything exciting about most of the MWC either, but I know I looked forward to the Utah and BYU games every year, and while those may be gone (who knows, they could still easily be OOC games) there was the BIG TIME appeal of the Boise - TCU game.

Just fuck 'em, I guess money can buy anything.

3) With Boise, Nevada and Fresno, the MWC was already likely to get the final AQ spot from the Big East anyways.

This is what puzzles me the most. Even without that AQ spot, winning out would automatically get them a BCS berth. They wouldn't have to worry about another undefeated non-AQ keeping them out. So what do they actually get from the Big East that they would not from the MWC?

A better chance at a National Championship? Nope. Take this year for example, TCU would be in a worse position in the computers because not one Big East team is ranked. Also, only three times has a Big East team actually been in the National Championship (Miami twice and Virginia Tech) and those teams are not even in the conference anymore. The conference you are in does not factor in the BCS computers and the Big East is viewed as a joke by the voters. TCU was better off before this move. The whole thing feels reactionary.

Also, this completely screws over Boise State. The three best programs in the Mountain West just split and they are left with a essentially a slightly better WAC.

The Big East is guaranteed a spot in a BCS bowl regardless of how they compare to a non-AQ or even an at-large BCS contender. If a 2-loss West Virginia wins out, they have a shot to play at either the Orange or Fiesta Bowl over a one-loss Michigan State, for instance.

That pressure to win out every year can be tremendous, look at what happened to Boise even in the midst of a 22-game winning streak. Sure, the leap from a non-AQ to the Big East isn't that great, but it at least provides some stability.

To me, this has more to do with the major conferences trying to quell the push for a playoff system than TCU being overly reactionary. With this current system in place, it works in TCU's favor to join a conference, as it would to Boise State.

The Big East does provide stability but the MWC looked like they were going to be the 7th AQ conference which would have provided the same stability. Unless TCU felt that wasn't going to happen it seems like an impatient and reactionary move upon getting the offer. I do agree though with your take on the Big East's intentions.

Unless TCU felt that wasn't going to happen

Which is entirely possible. Perhaps those involved in making this decision knew something we didn't (VERY possible) and felt playing in a shitty conference getting an easy pass would ensure them more money and more bowl appearances than playing in a conference with superior competition that isn't guaranteed an AQ. The MWC is about par with the Big East as it stands, and will easily surpass them in the next two years, but without money or television contracts, what good does that do TCU? They've outgrown the MWC's means, if not quality.

I do believe it's a reactionary decision, based on what we know. The thing is, I can guarantee that the MWC will struggle to get their AQ status, and the blame will be lain on TCU (the inverse is true of the Big East keeping their AQ status), so it will be hard to tell just how wise of a choice it was.

I've absolutely hated what The Mountain brought to the Mountain West, so to some extent I don't blame any team who was worth a damn for wanting to leave. I feel terrible for Boise State, as the conference change essentially became a lateral move for them.

It's been a pretty shitty week for them, yeah.

But WAY better than being #11 makes it seem. They've had such a good season.

That ranking is part of the bullshit I'm sure TCU wants to leave in being in a non-AQ.

The fact is that this all just seems suspicious to me the more I think about it and in the end, TCU's just following the money, and while I shouldn't spite them for that, I am.

golum.jpg
ncf_a_harbaugh1_195.jpg

Come to Dalton, Precious.

American college students playing football on a Saturday afternoon.

Go Oregon St., Go South Carolina.

Fuck up the mainstream.

:yikes: That was ridiculous. Oh well, the Rose Bowl is not exactly Shabby.

So happy for Oregon. Really hoping for an ass-kicking for them, but not as expectant of it now as I once was.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to ruin your day or anything, but how can you applaud that? I just don't understand how anyone could be happy about such a thing happening.

You know, I hear that a lot lately, and I'm sure I'll hear more about it leading up to the game. But I'm a proud alum and I'm incredibly happy for my school. They won their conference fair and square, it's really no different than any other sport that gives a division/conference winner a bye in a playoff system or anything else. Sure the Big East is down right now...the ACC poached 3 of our schools, the Big 10 poached one of our more successful coaches (I'm sure Michigan's loving that decision right now)...but is the ACC really that much better? Is Virginia Tech a powerhouse? The better conferences are getting 2 schools in most likely (OSU, Stanford, Arkansas?).

This will either be their only shot at a BCS bowl game or a stepping stone to help build the program...either way it's great. I just hope they can find a way to at least hang with Oklahoma (I assume that will be our game, OU in the Fiesta).

They won their conference fair and square, it's really no different than any other sport that gives a division/conference winner a bye in a playoff system or anything else.

This is a fair point. It's the same way in the NFL. I'm sickened that either the Rams or Seahawks will end up stealing a playoff spot from the Packers, Bears, Bucs, Saints, Giants...it's just a laughably poor system that encourages mediocrity. The humorous part is that the BCS system encourages perfectionism until the very end when the bowls are doled out. At that point, teams with near flawless records wind up playing Utah or Boston College. It's ridiculous.

But hey, if UConn uses this opportunity to make the Big East less of a joke next year, it's in everyone's best interest. Except maybe TCU.

The idea of any of the top ten schools sitting out in favor of VT and UConn has me pretty disgusted.

The idea of any of the top ten schools sitting out in favor of VT and UConn has me pretty disgusted.

If anyone has a complaint with the system it's TCU...they did everything anyone could ask of them and still got shut out of the title game. So they went out and joined a BCS conference. Actually I think Michigan State has a legit beef with it...but the system is set up to assure 1 plays 2, not to make sure the top 10 BCS ranking schools get into BCS bowls. If they want to tweak it in the future and have a conference lose its automatic bid if the winner is outside the BCS top 25 I suppose I could live with that...but then you leave it up to the bowl committees; when UConn shared the Big East title a couple years ago they lost the tiebreaker and I think they ended up playing Buffalo in the International Bowl in Toronto.

I don't think anyone is more aware than I about how screwed TCU was this year.

As a small MSU fan, I am also quite disappointed for them, and in fact, they were who I was referring to from the beginning of my ranting.

Back
Top Bottom