College Football 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright Impy, great game, very crazy 4th quarter & finish. Don't despair you guys have a good team who played hard today. Mistakes and penalties are killer...but still...you've got a lot to look forward too.

You might change that avatar though :sexywink:

Good luck with Nebraska next week :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Today I almost witnessed IU defeat Michigan. Or at least take them to overtime. Then the universe righted itself again and I put away the bomb shelter gear.

If that slice of fried pepperoni pizza weren't making me feel like I'm at death's door, I'd post impressions. I did get into the game for free, for what it's worth.

Let me try to digest this abomination and we'll take it from there.

I watched some show on travel channel a while back and they had a segment on deep fried pizza.

Hope your heart pulls through

Oklahoma is currently 5-0, but in 4 of the 5 wins we had big leads early on (or by halftime) only to win by a slim margin.

This is true against Texas, 21-7 at the half, final score 28-20
at Cincinnati we were up but the final was close 31-29
Air Force we led 27-10 early in the fourth qtr, final score 27-24
utah state should have been a blowout but we never could put them away, final score 31-24 (though we did take a knee in the red zone instead of scoring a TD at the end)

So 4 of the 5 wins we have won by an average of 5 ppg. The lone exception would be Florida State 47-17 which was never even close.

I don't know what happens to this team, but its made for some very interesting 4th quarters. Hopefully we can learn to close out some games as we go down the stretch. But i do like how we handle the adversity of it all.

Oklahoma is currently 5-0, but in 4 of the 5 wins we had big leads early on (or by halftime) only to win by a slim margin.

This is true against Texas, 21-7 at the half, final score 28-20
at Cincinnati we were up but the final was close 31-29
Air Force we led 27-10 early in the fourth qtr, final score 27-24
utah state should have been a blowout but we never could put them away, final score 31-24 (though we did take a knee in the red zone instead of scoring a TD at the end)

So 4 of the 5 wins we have won by an average of 5 ppg. The lone exception would be Florida State 47-17 which was never even close.

I don't know what happens to this team, but its made for some very interesting 4th quarters. Hopefully we can learn to close out some games as we go down the stretch. But i do like how we handle the adversity of it all.

I think the key is your last sentence.....regardless of how/why these games wind up becoming so close, you keep prevailing....that can only help as the season unfolds.

I think the key is your last sentence.....regardless of how/why these games wind up becoming so close, you keep prevailing....that can only help as the season unfolds.

Perhaps. All of those years we lost BCS games we blew threw the season putting up huge numbers against almost everyone. Last year we were on the other side of this with losing several games by one point, three points, etc. Plus all of the injuries.

If that was a blessing in disguise, ill take it.

Soooooo, all of a sudden, if we go up and beat the Spartans on Saturday, we're sitting fucking pretty. Huge game.

This is the best Illini defense in years.

Let's talk about the wisdom of having a successor in place before a long-time coach retires. I was looking at the remainder of Michigan's schedule today and realized that there are no definite wins left. If, as happened last year, UofM goes into a tailspin, I'm convinced that RichRod will be gone. I assume, if that happens, the university will attempt to hire a coach that is more in the Michigan mold (if not family, e.g. Les Miles or Jim Harbaugh). If THAT happens, Michigan football will go through its second fundamental transition in 4 years. There is no way that they're going to be back on top in the next two years.

All of that has me wishing the university would have had a successor to Lloyd Carr in place, a la Florida State. First of all, this may have prevented the slip in talent that was evident the year after Lloyd left (did he recruit anyone his last couple of years?) and secondly, It would have been so much cleaner to have the the program transition from like to like. Now, this successor would have had to be open to a more progressive offense, but they could have hired an offensive coordinator to do that.

Ugh. Thoughts?

Jim-Harbaugh.jpg

Hail to the Victors?

Let's talk about the wisdom of having a successor in place before a long-time coach retires. I was looking at the remainder of Michigan's schedule today and realized that there are no definite wins left. If, as happened last year, UofM goes into a tailspin, I'm convinced that RichRod will be gone. I assume, if that happens, the university will attempt to hire a coach that is more in the Michigan mold (if not family, e.g. Les Miles or Jim Harbaugh). If THAT happens, Michigan football will go through its second fundamental transition in 4 years. There is no way that they're going to be back on top in the next two years.

All of that has me wishing the university would have had a successor to Lloyd Carr in place, a la Florida State. First of all, this may have prevented the slip in talent that was evident the year after Lloyd left (did he recruit anyone his last couple of years?) and secondly, It would have been so much cleaner to have the the program transition from like to like. Now, this successor would have had to be open to a more progressive offense, but they could have hired an offensive coordinator to do that.

Ugh. Thoughts?
I can relate to the scenario. Penn State does not want any of their current assistant coaches to be the next head football coach, which they've made abundantly clear. JoePa wants his son Jay to be the next coach, but Jay doesn't know shit. The main people they're planning to target seem to be Kirk Ferentz and Al Golden.

JoePa's loyal to his assistants, so they really can't hire an offensive coordinator that they want to be the successor.

Ugh. Thoughts?

The situation at Florida State worked in principle as seen by their relatively quick resurgence to the top of the ACC, though the tensions between the Bowden and Fisher camps only increased until Bowden was eventually forced out. I feel like Bobby should've left in '05 when he was still relatively in control of a steady ship, but the win record was too close to reach for him to leave until he was jettisoned. The original plan was for him to coach this season as well and the harshness of the alumni and powers-that-be here at the university will always bother me, but it was a tough decision that needed to be made. As far as Michigan's concerned, I doubt that it would've been as tense as the FSU dilemma, but judging by this season's success at this point, it seems like a sound decision.

Mike Patrick is the worst. These 2 sentences were uttered back to back, no pause......"Harris up the middle and he's gone!!! Can they catch him from behind!?!?!?" You just said he was gone you stupid fuck. Of course, they did catch him from behind. Hysterical prick.

ESPN has been using Mike Patrick for over 15 years, which says everything.

In a meeting last night, we were teaching freshman broadcasters about common rookie mistakes. Verbatim: "And don't say something like 'He's got a touchdown!' or 'He's gone!' unless it's a certainty. You don't want to say 'He's gone!' and then immediately say, 'Someone runs him down at the 10.'"

Very happy to see the halftime score of the Texas/Nebraska game

this Ark / Auburn (Newton) game is better than I thought it would be
when Mallett left with a concussion

now a two point conversion puts Ark six points up

In the time it took for me to go from my apartment to the red cross. 10 minutes. Auburn scored 3 touchdowns.

:ohmy:

Can't believe Tressel chose to kick a FG from 4 yards out down 21-0 and then punted down 28-18 with 6 minutes left.

Well, actually I can, but both decisions are absolutely piss-weak and atrocious.

Win out Iowa and good things are coming.....got a favorable home schedule.

In a meeting last night, we were teaching freshman broadcasters about common rookie mistakes. Verbatim: "And don't say something like 'He's got a touchdown!' or 'He's gone!' unless it's a certainty. You don't want to say 'He's gone!' and then immediately say, 'Someone runs him down at the 10.'"

I hate ..."this game has play-off implications!"

Texas beating Nebraska was incredible. Then again, certain statistics played out in my mind prior to the game; Mack Brown has never lost 3 games in a row, or lost in Lincoln, & they always win the game after OU/TX. So despite the fact that Nebraska seemed like some giant moster in the Big 12 North who wanted revenge for the Texas win* last year in the Big 12 Championship, and this might be their last shot for a long time, something told me it wasn't going to happen. And im glad...because i sort of need Texas to win out.

OU's Defense shut out Iowa State which is nice, since most of our other games this year have been close. 52-0 at home under the stars is always a good time.

Missouri next week could be really tough....

I don't think this is a good year to be ranked #1 in any poll.

Back
Top Bottom