College Football 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will not be very happy if Penn State wins out and misses the national championship.

There's about eight teams that are good enough to have a shot at the championship ... hmmm, that sounds like a good number for a fucking 8-team playoff.

It'll be the first time the Big 10 doesn't benefit from the BCS system. What they need is a championship game like every other notable conference. Throw a bunch of money at Notre Dame or get a shitty school to fill the 12th spot or something.

I don't see Notre Dame joining a conference any time soon. They really don't need the money unless they want to up the Weis buffet budget.

USC is getting absolutely murdered in the computers, so I think that doomsday scenario is out. They should easily dispatch a decent Cal team and it should be smooth sailing from there on out. Oregon State has Oregon, Cal, and a feisty Arizona team left. I see them dropping one of those and the Trojans headed to another Rose Bowl against...you guessed it: Penn State.

Penn State's biggest test will be this week against an Iowa team that's a lot better than I thought they would be. They should easily dispatch IU and Michigan State just isn't winning in Happy Valley. That makes this Iowa game extremely important, but they shouldn't have a problem. Here's where not having a conference championship game hurts you. Their signature win for the year will be against a pretty mediocre tOSU team living off its name recognition. If the Buckeyes drop one of their last three (best chance is on the road at Northwestern, although crazy things can happen with Michigan even though they're awful), the win gets even less impressive and the Nittany Lions slip even further in the computers.

Tech has Okie Lite at home followed by a bye week then OU in Norman. They just played the biggest, most emotional game in program history against a team which just completed the toughest 4 game stretch in D-I history. OSU could dispatch them, but OU absolutely will. Tech won't be playing in a BCS bowl this year. Texas and OU are your Big XII BCS representatives: Texas with easily the most impressive resume and OU by merit of an early loss and complete demolition of everything in their sights right now.

This leads us to the SEC, which is as tricky as ever. Florida shouldn't have a problem with their next three games, but the rivalry game with FSU looms large. If Alabama can come out of Death Valley victorious this weekend, they ought to run the table as well. Suppose these teams play for an SEC championship. Alabama wins and their undefeated. Welcome to Miami. Florida wins and has an impressive resume of #4 (at the time) LSU, a complete shellacking of Georgia, and knocking off undefeated Alabama. That's good enough for me.

So unless we get SEC chaos, Florida or Alabama is going to be playing for a MNC.

ITech has Okie Lite at home followed by a bye week then OU in Norman. They just played the biggest, most emotional game in program history against a team which just completed the toughest 4 game stretch in D-I history. OSU could dispatch them, but OU absolutely will. Tech won't be playing in a BCS bowl this year. Texas and OU are your Big XII BCS representatives: Texas with easily the most impressive resume and OU by merit of an early loss and complete demolition of everything in their sights right now.

I think Texas Tech might be a nightmare for OU actually. OU's defense is pretty pitiful at times.

I think the real headache for the BCS could come if Texas Tech loses and Texas doesn't end up in the National Championship seeing as they were one second away from beating Tech.

I don't see the Land Thieves being shut down in their house, where they've only lost two games ever under Stoops.

I'm just not a Tech believer, but don't call that sour grapes. We lost, they won, whatever. I don't think Leach can get them mentally prepared to run their gauntlet like Mack did for Texas. I see them dropping at least one of the next two. They're on a plane no one in Lubbock has seen before. They will buckle. If not to Okie Lite, who is an absolutely stellar team, than certainly to OU.

I
USC is getting absolutely murdered in the computers, so I think that doomsday scenario is out. They should easily dispatch a decent Cal team and it should be smooth sailing from there on out. Oregon State has Oregon, Cal, and a feisty Arizona team left. I see them dropping one of those and the Trojans headed to another Rose Bowl against...you guessed it: Penn State.

That's what I'm seeing....OMG! if Oregon State wins out and the Nittany Lions getting overlooked for the BIG one, it could be the Beavers vs. Penn State in the Rose Bowl...:yuck:

I don't see the Land Thieves being shut down in their house, where they've only lost two games ever under Stoops.

I'm just not a Tech believer, but don't call that sour grapes. We lost, they won, whatever. I don't think Leach can get them mentally prepared to run their gauntlet like Mack did for Texas. I see them dropping at least one of the next two. They're on a plane no one in Lubbock has seen before. They will buckle. If not to Okie Lite, who is an absolutely stellar team, than certainly to OU.

It just looks like a huge matchup advantage for Tech.

I'm not a Tech believer either. I've seen so much of them in following the Big 12 over the years that I'm not ready to jump on the bandwagon.

Tech beat Virginia by a field goal in the Gator Bowl last year. They lost 41-10 to Mizzou in the regular season.

But of course, that's last year.

I don't see Notre Dame joining a conference any time soon. They really don't need the money unless they want to up the Weis buffet budget.

Penn State's biggest test will be this week against an Iowa team that's a lot better than I thought they would be. They should easily dispatch IU and Michigan State just isn't winning in Happy Valley. That makes this Iowa game extremely important, but they shouldn't have a problem. Here's where not having a conference championship game hurts you. Their signature win for the year will be against a pretty mediocre tOSU team living off its name recognition. If the Buckeyes drop one of their last three (best chance is on the road at Northwestern, although crazy things can happen with Michigan even though they're awful), the win gets even less impressive and the Nittany Lions slip even further in the computers.

Tech has Okie Lite at home followed by a bye week then OU in Norman. They just played the biggest, most emotional game in program history against a team which just completed the toughest 4 game stretch in D-I history. OSU could dispatch them, but OU absolutely will. Tech won't be playing in a BCS bowl this year. Texas and OU are your Big XII BCS representatives: Texas with easily the most impressive resume and OU by merit of an early loss and complete demolition of everything in their sights right now.

This leads us to the SEC, which is as tricky as ever. Florida shouldn't have a problem with their next three games, but the rivalry game with FSU looms large. If Alabama can come out of Death Valley victorious this weekend, they ought to run the table as well. Suppose these teams play for an SEC championship. Alabama wins and their undefeated. Welcome to Miami. Florida wins and has an impressive resume of #4 (at the time) LSU, a complete shellacking of Georgia, and knocking off undefeated Alabama. That's good enough for me.

So unless we get SEC chaos, Florida or Alabama is going to be playing for a MNC.

Even if FSU beats Florida, I still see the Gators pulling out of the SEC. 'Bama, like Florida last year, is benefiting from a really easy out of conference schedule and a few convincing wins to pull them up. They'll lose at least one or two games before the season's over.

I would really like to see FSU win one for Pappy Bowden... that'd be a great way for him to go out. When their offense is firing on all cylinders, like during spurts of the Georgia Tech game last week, they're a fucking dangerous team; the defense has always been solid, but Teboner wrecks the shit out of them every time. Their weakness is in their special teams unit, and Harvin or whichever fucking Gator returns that shit will eat them alive. It'll be a closer game than what's being predicted, I'll bet.

FSU and G-Tech will probably meet again in the ACC Championship. Either G-Tech or, what the hell, how about UNC?

How does Texas Tech, the most penalized (before last week) team in the Big XII, get away without a single holding call all game?

YouTube - no call2

pb020094qr3.jpg

You tell me.

It'll be the first time the Big 10 doesn't benefit from the BCS system. What they need is a championship game like every other notable conference. Throw a bunch of money at Notre Dame or get a shitty school to fill the 12th spot or something.
They do, but the BCS is more the problem than the Big Ten's lack of a championship game.
I see them dropping one of those and the Trojans headed to another Rose Bowl against...you guessed it: Penn State.

Indeed. Which is why a great team like Penn State suffers simply because their opponents weren't that good.
It had to happen. The Big Ten is fucking horrible this year.
Which doesn't make me feel any better about the possibility that this great team might not even get a chance to play for the championship.

As a Penn State fan, this is just a piling on effect of an awful system that's pissed me off a ton before this.

Rivals.com posted some updated BCS Bowl game possibilities...*these picks are changed weekend to weekend based upon win/loss of the named teams...still, I could hope for a USC/Oklahoma rematch...

From ~ Rivals.com Staff

Here are Rivals.com's latest bowl projections for the season. We will update these weekly, as situations obviously change.

A few notes:

· A bowl's tie-in with a league doesn't necessarily mean it will get the third-, fourth-, fifth-, etc., place team from the league; rather, it means it gets the third, fourth, fifth, etc., selection from that league.

• Notre Dame is part of the Big East's bowl lineup.

• An asterisk denotes a team that will be in the bowl because a league will not be able to fulfill its obligation. This week, we're saying the Pac-10 and Big 12 fall one short of filling their bowl slots and the SEC comes up two short. In some situations, other conferences have deals to provide teams if the "original" conference can't fill its spots. In those instances, the fill-in conference first fills it own bowl slots. The WAC has a deal with the Poinsettia; Conference USA has a deal with the Hawaii; and the Sun Belt has deals with the Independence, Papajohns.com and the St. Petersburg bowls.

All times Eastern
BCS BOWLS
BCS CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, Miami - Jan. 8, 8 p.m., Fox
Matchup: BCS No. 1 vs. BCS No. 2
This week's projection: Penn State vs. Florida
ROSE BOWL, Pasadena, Calif. - Jan. 1, 4:30 p.m., ABC
Matchup: BCS vs. BCS
This week's projection: USC vs. Oklahoma
ORANGE BOWL, Miami - Jan. 1, 8 p.m., Fox
This week's projection: Florida State vs. West Virginia
SUGAR BOWL, New Orleans - Jan. 2, 8:30 p.m., Fox
This week's projection: Alabama vs. Utah
FIESTA BOWL, Glendale, Ariz. - Jan. 5, 8 p.m., Fox
This week's projection: Texas vs. Ohio State

NON-BCS BOWLS
EAGLEBANK BOWL, Washington - Dec. 20, 11 a.m., ESPN
Matchup: Navy/at-large vs. ACC 9
This week's projection: Navy vs. Virginia
NEW MEXICO BOWL, Albuquerque - Dec. 20, 2:30 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Western Athletic vs. Mountain West 4
This week's projection: San Jose State vs. Colorado State
ST. PETERSBURG BOWL, St. Petersburg, Fla. - Dec. 20, 4:30 p.m., ESPN2
Matchup: Big East 6 vs. Conference USA 5
This week's projection: Connecticut vs. Marshall
LAS VEGAS BOWL, Las Vegas - Dec. 20, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Mountain West 1 vs. Pac-10 4/5
This week's projection: BYU vs. Arizona
NEW ORLEANS BOWL, New Orleans - Dec. 21, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Conference USA 4 vs. Sun Belt 1
This week's projection: Memphis vs. Troy
POINSETTIA BOWL, San Diego - Dec. 23, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Mountain West 2 vs. Pac-10 7
This week's projection: TCU vs. Fresno State*
HAWAII BOWL, Honolulu - Dec. 24, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Pac-10 6 vs. Western Athletic
This week's projection: Louisville* vs. Hawaii
MOTOR CITY BOWL, Detroit - Dec. 26, 7:30 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Big Ten 7 vs. Mid-American 1
This week's projection: Wisconsin vs. Ball State
MEINEKE CAR CARE, Charlotte, N.C. - Dec. 27, 1 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: ACC 6 vs. Big East 3
This week's projection: Miami vs. Pittsburgh
CHAMPS SPORTS BOWL, Orlando, Fla. - Dec. 27, 4:30 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: ACC 4 vs. Big Ten 5
This week's projection: Virginia Tech vs. Northwestern
EMERALD BOWL, San Francisco - Dec. 27, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: ACC 7 vs. Pac-10 4/5
This week's projection: Boston College vs. Oregon
INDEPENDENCE BOWL, Shreveport, La. - Dec. 28, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Big 12 8 vs. SEC 8
This week's projection: Western Michigan* vs. Louisiana-Lafayette*
PAPAJOHNS.COM BOWL, Birmingham, Ala. - Dec. 29, 3 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Big East 4 vs. SEC 9
This week's projection: USF vs. Arkansas State*
ALAMO BOWL, San Antonio - Dec. 29, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Big Ten 4 vs. Big 12 4
This week's projection: Illinois vs. Oklahoma State
HUMANITARIAN BOWL, Boise, Idaho - Dec. 30, 4:30 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: ACC 8 vs. Western Athletic
This week's projection: Wake Forest at Boise State
HOLIDAY BOWL, San Diego - Dec. 30, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Big 12 3 vs. Pac-10 2
This week's projection: Missouri vs. California
TEXAS BOWL, Houston - Dec. 30, 8 p.m., NFL Network
Matchup: Conference USA 6 vs. Big 12 9
This week's projection: Houston vs. Akron*
ARMED FORCES BOWL, Fort Worth, Texas - Dec. 31, noon, ESPN
Matchup: Conference USA 3 vs. Mountain West 3
This week's projection: Rice vs. Air Force
SUN BOWL, El Paso, Texas - Dec. 31, 2 p.m., CBS
Matchup: Big 12 6/Big East 2 vs. Pac-10 3
This week's projection: Kansas vs. Oregon State
MUSIC CITY BOWL, Nashville, Tenn. - Dec. 31, 3:30 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: ACC 5 vs. SEC 6/7
This week's projection: Maryland vs. Vanderbilt
INSIGHT BOWL, Tempe, Ariz. - Dec. 31, 5:30 p.m., NFL Network
Matchup: Big Ten 6 vs. Big 12 7
This week's projection: Iowa vs. Nebraska
CHICK-FIL-A BOWL, Atlanta - Dec. 31, 7:30 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: ACC 2 vs. SEC 5
This week's projection: North Carolina vs. Kentucky
OUTBACK BOWL, Tampa, Fla. - Jan. 1, 11 a.m., ESPN
Matchup: Big Ten 3 vs. SEC 3
This week's projection: Minnesota vs. South Carolina
CAPITAL ONE BOWL, Orlando, Fla. - Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ABC
Matchup: Big Ten 2 vs. SEC 2
This week's projection: Michigan State vs. Georgia
GATOR BOWL, Jacksonville, Fla. - Jan. 1, 1 p.m., CBS
Matchup: ACC 3 vs. Big East 2/Big 12 5
This week's projection: Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame
COTTON BOWL, Dallas - Jan. 2, 2 p.m., Fox
Matchup: Big 12 2 vs. SEC 4
This week's projection: Texas Tech vs. LSU
LIBERTY BOWL, Memphis, Tenn. - Jan. 2, 5 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Conference USA 1 vs. SEC 6/7
This week's projection: Tulsa vs. Ole Miss
INTERNATIONAL BOWL, Toronto - Jan. 3, noon, ESPN2
Matchup: Big East 5 vs. Mid-American 2
This week's projection: Cincinnati vs. Buffalo
GMAC BOWL, Mobile, Ala. - Jan. 6, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Conference USA 2 vs. Mid-American 3
This week's projection: East Carolina vs. Central Michigan

I have lost the most depressing bet of my life. For me this is just the Packers last year all over again. God dam it TCU can't you win the big one just once?

Mia, your Hokies winning tonight was excellent for the 'Noles... now they're tied again for the ACC Atlantic lead.

I have lost the most depressing bet of my life. For me this is just the Packers last year all over again. God dam it TCU can't you win the big one just once?

I'm sorry, Ashley. That was pretty heartbreaking :(

Mia, your Hokies winning tonight was excellent for the 'Noles... now they're tied again for the ACC Atlantic lead.

Woo! How exciting is that?? The ACC seems to be just one big free for all each week! Miami is up next, and since it is at Home, I think we should be alright. Then it's Duke (snooze) followed by UVA. How crazy is it that after 2 losses we still have a shot at it?

What a night for freshman Evans, 253 yards!

Evans!!! :love: Wow what a night for him. I think Imoh's record was 240 yards or something. That was wild!

I actually shed a tear when one of our own kicks was blocked. It kinda hurts to have a taste of your own medicine. I think the defense also had a pretty good game last night. Bud Foster is the man!

It's a damn shame that the ACC Championship game is during my exam week. If the Hokies make it again I would've loved to go! But I guess I'll just save up for a bowl game instead.

I hate to say it since I grew up a fan, but I'm glad TCU lost. I hope they lose out. I want OU's non-conference win over the Horned Frogs to be as unimpressive a victory as possible for the sake of the computers.

The game against Baylor is at 11 tomorrow. Which means up and tailgating at 8 am. Yikes.

Also: Hook em, Okie State.

Normally I'd agree, but not when you've got a music festival to attend after the game.

I hate to say it since I grew up a fan, but I'm glad TCU lost. I hope they lose out. I want OU's non-conference win over the Horned Frogs to be as unimpressive a victory as possible for the sake of the computers.

The game against Baylor is at 11 tomorrow. Which means up and tailgating at 8 am. Yikes.

Also: Hook em, Okie State.

Traitor :tsk:

DAMMIT! :sad:

Well, if you're not good enough to beat the Hawkeyes, you don't deserve to go to the national championship game anyway. :shrug: The defense was piss poor at best on that last drive.

DAMMIT! :sad:

Well, if you're not good enough to beat the Hawkeyes, you don't deserve to go to the national championship game anyway. :shrug: The defense was piss poor at best on that last drive.

Hawks have been in every game this year. Stupid penalties, turnovers, and bad coaching decisions have really cost them. 4 loses by 12 points combined.

Hopefully this is the game that gets the Hawks back on track. Great win for the program.

Hawks have been in every game this year. Stupid penalties, turnovers, and bad coaching decisions have really cost them. 4 loses by 12 points combined.

Hopefully this is the game that gets the Hawks back on track. Great win for the program.

Regardless, they're not even ranked, and it's not a game that a supposedly championship-caliber Penn State team should have lost. I didn't want it to seem as if I was slighting Iowa entirely, but apparently I did. :banghead: Don't mind me, I'm just upset.

:sigh:

Penn State played poorly, but a bullshit pass interference call on the last drive kept Iowa alive.

Back
Top Bottom