College Football 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, in the past 6 years, Iowa players have won the following awards:

Davey O'Brien Award (Brad Banks)
Doak Walker (Shonn Greene)
Outland Trophy (Robert Gallery)
John Mackey (Dallas Clark)
Groza Award (Nate Kaeding)
Mosi Tatupu Special Teams (Kahlil Hill)

Throw in NFL Defensive Player of the Year Bob Sanders....and there should be enough ammunition for new recruits.

While I don't like the way KF coaches sometimes, have to admit his staff is excellent at developing players. Especially considering almost all those players were not very highly recruited coming into college.

Hopefully finishes this season off with a win against the Gamecocks.

well, in the past 6 years, Iowa players have won the following awards:

Davey O'Brien Award (Brad Banks)
Doak Walker (Shonn Greene)
Outland Trophy (Robert Gallery)
John Mackey (Dallas Clark)
Groza Award (Nate Kaeding)
Mosi Tatupu Special Teams (Kahlil Hill)

Throw in NFL Defensive Player of the Year Bob Sanders....and there should be enough ammunition for new recruits.

While I don't like the way KF coaches sometimes, have to admit his staff is excellent at developing players. Especially considering almost all those players were not very highly recruited coming into college.

Hopefully finishes this season off with a win against the Gamecocks.

Don't forget Chad Greenway who is becoming quite a good player in Minnesota. :up:

I'm pretty confident against the Gamecocks. :hyper:

In a related story, Billy Sims is still somewhere in New York embarrassing himself and his alma mater by drunkenly shouting "BOOMER."

In all seriousness, though, all three candidates were deserving, so there isn't much for me to whine about.

TCU: 2008 San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl Champions.

That's a mouthful.

Either way, they should have beat the Utes in their house and just beat everyone's darlings in Boise State. I think they're the best non-BCS team and I'd love to see Iowa State kicked out in favor of TCU hopping into the Big XII.

Scott Stapp sang the National Anthem at the FSU/Wis-CAN-sin game today.

The only thing he can do better than that is beating his wife.

Scott Stapp sang the National Anthem at the FSU/Wis-CAN-sin game today.

The only thing he can do better than that is beating his wife.

After the anthem, he walked over to the Wisconsin sideline and announced "Bucky the Badger, I am ready to fight."

"Wise sage" is likely redundant.

So is "Your slutty mom".

I'd like to thank everyone for not rubbing it in my face about BYU's annihilation. To be perfectly honest, the last half of their season was pretty crap in general. Hopefully Utah can redeem the Mountain West......... Ok, that won't happen. At least TCU won (even though I was cheering for Boise). I'm pretty much like a broken mirror or a black cat this bowl season. I should let people pay me to root for teams they want to loose, as it seems to be a sure fire key to success. Well, the opposite of success at least.

So is "Your slutty mom".

I'd like to thank everyone for not rubbing it in my face about BYU's annihilation. To be perfectly honest, the last half of their season was pretty crap in general. Hopefully Utah can redeem the Mountain West......... Ok, that won't happen. At least TCU won (even though I was cheering for Boise). I'm pretty much like a broken mirror or a black cat this bowl season. I should let people pay me to root for teams they want to loose, as it seems to be a sure fire key to success. Well, the opposite of success at least.

How about paying you for teams we want to lose, as opposed to paying you for teams to get loose? Speaking of loose, say hi to your Mom for me.

TCU: 2008 San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl Champions.

That's a mouthful.

Either way, they should have beat the Utes in their house and just beat everyone's darlings in Boise State. I think they're the best non-BCS team and I'd love to see Iowa State kicked out in favor of TCU hopping into the Big XII.

I'm soon to be the proud owner of two shirts with such a slick name on them. Oh Poinsettia Bowl, I <3 U.

But yeah, losing to Utah was, obviously, the worst part of the season, and threw quite the wrench in the works.

Dammit. This Rose Bowl could have been such a good game if Penn State hadn't had its head up its collective rectum for the middle 30 minutes of the game.

It shoulda/coulda been worse; Pete took his foot off the gas...as he usually does...he becomes a gentleman's coach...which really irks me...I wanna see some 60 pt. wins just to make a point...

I'm a Michigan man through and through, but last night's Rose Bowl illustrated a point I've been trying to make since Lloyd walked away: I wish Michigan were running a pro-style offense.

Now don't get me wrong. I think Rich Rodriguez is a good coach and I think he will eventually win at UofM, but I'm afraid that when he does I still won't enjoy it. There is something glorious about a pro-style offense in the college game when it is played by superior athletes and run by coaches who aren't afraid to open things up. USC in the 2nd quarter last night was one of the prettiest machines you will ever see. That's what the pro-style gets you.

And Michigan could run it. Let's be honest, we've had the athletes to run it (at least our first stringers - more on that later) for a long time, but we had a coach that simply refused to open up the offense unless they were way behind. Imagine UofM with a Carroll acolyte at the helm - mmm mmm good.

My only concern would be depth. It seems to me that part of USC's recent success is not that they've recruited great starters, but they've got great players that are sitting on the bench. My question is: are those great back-ups going to USC simply because Carroll is a great coach and its a great program so they're willing to sit on the bench? If that is the case, Michigan could build that sort of program. Or are those players going to USC because Carroll is a great coach and runs a great program AND because even if you're sitting on the bench you're sitting on the bench in Southern California? If location is a big factor, Michigan is fucked.

Again, this is not a knock on Rich Rod. I'm behind him. I just don't love the spread. Even when its run well, it looks like a back-yard gimmick play.

I'm a Michigan man through and through, but last night's Rose Bowl illustrated a point I've been trying to make since Lloyd walked away: I wish Michigan were running a pro-style offense.

Now don't get me wrong. I think Rich Rodriguez is a good coach and I think he will eventually win at UofM, but I'm afraid that when he does I still won't enjoy it. There is something glorious about a pro-style offense in the college game when it is played by superior athletes and run by coaches who aren't afraid to open things up. USC in the 2nd quarter last night was one of the prettiest machines you will ever see. That's what the pro-style gets you.

And Michigan could run it. Let's be honest, we've had the athletes to run it (at least our first stringers - more on that later) for a long time, but we had a coach that simply refused to open up the offense unless they were way behind. Imagine UofM with a Carroll acolyte at the helm - mmm mmm good.

My only concern would be depth. It seems to me that part of USC's recent success is not that they've recruited great starters, but they've got great players that are sitting on the bench. My question is: are those great back-ups going to USC simply because Carroll is a great coach and its a great program so they're willing to sit on the bench? If that is the case, Michigan could build that sort of program. Or are those players going to USC because Carroll is a great coach and runs a great program AND because even if you're sitting on the bench you're sitting on the bench in Southern California? If location is a big factor, Michigan is fucked.

Again, this is not a knock on Rich Rod. I'm behind him. I just don't love the spread. Even when its run well, it looks like a back-yard gimmick play.

Honestly, I think SC's outstanding offensive line makes their skill-position players look way better than they really are (look at the track record of guys like Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Mike Williams and others in the NFL -- same as a bunch of other players who were supposedly way inferior to them in college).

If Michigan can continue to get good linemen and defensive players and a QB who isn't complete trash, they'll be fine no matter what offense they run.

Even when its run well, it looks like a back-yard gimmick play.

gimmick or not, it works.

i read an interesting article the other day. said that of the nations top 25 teams in wins the last 5 years, 22 of them were running some version of the spread.

the pro style works at usc, b/c they have 4 and 5 star recruits at every position. the spread evens the playing field, when you don't have the premier talent. when you do have the talent, its every bit as pretty as what usc is doing (see ou and florida this year).

what offense are the two teams playing for the national championship running this year?

Poor widdle cwasswess cwowns and their poor, poor widdle face painting wineman.

0913techsy5.jpg

:sad:

Back
Top Bottom