College Football 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If anyone is wondering whether or not my head exploded during the Tech/Baylor game, it's still somehow largely intact.

Never, ever try to hang your hat on the Bears.

AP Top 25

* 1.Alabama (62)
* 2.Florida (3)
* 3.Texas
* 4.Oklahoma
* 5.USC
* 6.Penn St.
* 7.Utah
* 8.Texas Tech
* 9.Boise St.
* 10.Ohio St.
* 11.TCU
* 12.Ball St.
* 13.Cincinnati
* 14.Oklahoma St.
* 15.Georgia Tech
* 16.Oregon
* 17.Georgia
* 18.Boston Coll.
* 19.Missouri
* 20.BYU
* 21.Michigan St.
* 22.Mississippi
* 23.Pittsburgh
* 24.Northwestern
* 25.Oregon St.

View Complete Poll Sun Nov 30, 2008
USA Today

* Alabama (58)
* Oklahoma (2)
* Texas
* Florida (1)
* USC
* Penn St.
* Utah
* Texas Tech
* Boise St.
* Ohio St.
* TCU
* Cincinnati
* Ball St.
* Oregon
* Oklahoma St.
* Georgia Tech
* Missouri
* BYU
* Georgia
* Boston Coll.
* Michigan St.
* Northwestern
* Pittsburgh
* Oregon St.
* Mississippi

A. Even I thought the flyover was overkill.
B. I'm not diminishing anything Tech accomplished this season. They did beat us, which I'm sort of still not over, but are now the product of a fucked up system. It's not my fault they're eliminated, but since they are, I'm forced to weigh the head-to-head vs. OU.
C. I'm also not diminishing anything OU has accomplished. Their offense is awe-inspiring. Their defense, well not so much. They are a worthy team with an impressive resume. We just beat them, is all. But if they make it to the MNC, let's hope they don't embarrass the Big XII on the national stage again.
D. The computers and coaches are out, and we're down .00535. Without a major swing in the Harris, this thing is on ice. Hellllllloooooo Tempe.

B. It's not my fault they're eliminated, but since they are, I'm forced to weigh the head-to-head vs. OU.

you realize why they are eliminated right? because ou stomped them sooo bad.

this could still work out for tu. you will not have to play florida, and will most likely have a better matchup.

if ou wins the title game, and tu wins their bcs bowl tu will get a split national title. the ap will give it to the whorns.

AP Top 25

* 1.Alabama (62)
* 2.Florida (3)
* 3.Texas
* 4.Oklahoma
* 5.USC
* 6.Penn St.
* 7.Utah
* 8.Texas Tech
* 9.Boise St.
* 10.Ohio St.
* 11.TCU
* 12.Ball St.
* 13.Cincinnati
* 14.Oklahoma St.
* 15.Georgia Tech
* 16.Oregon
* 17.Georgia
* 18.Boston Coll.
* 19.Missouri
* 20.BYU
* 21.Michigan St.
* 22.Mississippi
* 23.Pittsburgh
* 24.Northwestern
* 25.Oregon St.

USA Today

* Alabama (58)
* Oklahoma (2)
* Texas
* Florida (1)
* USC
* Penn St.
* Utah
* Texas Tech
* Boise St.
* Ohio St.
* TCU
* Cincinnati
* Ball St.
* Oregon
* Oklahoma St.
* Georgia Tech
* Missouri
* BYU
* Georgia
* Boston Coll.
* Michigan St.
* Northwestern
* Pittsburgh
* Oregon St.
* Mississippi

Bowl Champ. Series

* Alabama
* Oklahoma
* Texas
* Florida
* USC
* Utah
* Texas Tech
* Penn St.
* Boise St.
* Ohio St.
* TCU
* Ball St.
* Cincinnati
* Oklahoma St.
* Georgia Tech
* Georgia
* Boston Coll.
* BYU
* Oregon
* Missouri
* Michigan St.
* Northwestern
* Pittsburgh
* Florida St.
* Virginia Tech

you realize why they are eliminated right? because ou stomped them sooo bad.

this could still work out for tu. you will not have to play florida, and will most likely have a better matchup.

if ou wins the title game, and tu wins their bcs bowl tu will get a split national title. the ap will give it to the whorns.

I think Florida stomps whoever regardless. OU, us, it didn't matter. They're not going to be stopped. If OU shits the bed against Mizzou, we could back into the MNC. If not, Fiesta against tOSU or Utah is a decent consolation prize. Plus it could potentially be very satisfying to watch OU lay yet another egg in a BCS bowl.

I'm very disappointed, but thankful for what was a great football season. Fiesta is just the icing on the cake, and I'll be there for it.

Mack doesn't believe in running up the score like Stoops

I'm also not diminishing anything OU has accomplished. Their offense is awe-inspiring. Their defense, well not so much. They are a worthy team with an impressive resume. We just beat them, is all. But if they make it to the MNC, let's hope they don't embarrass the Big XII on the national stage again.

I think Florida stomps whoever regardless. OU, us, it didn't matter

If OU shits the bed against Mizzou

Plus it could potentially be very satisfying to watch OU lay yet another egg in a BCS bowl.

Wow, you must really really hate OU. While i can understand your disappointment, i really dont understand all of the anger. Even i rooted for Texas two years ago over USC in one of the best Championship games i have ever seen. No need for you to be bitter, if your team didn't get burned in Lubbock we wouldn't be having this conversation now would we? Maybe you guys should have beat Oklahoma State (in Austin, no doubt not in Stillwater) by 20 POINTS and beat OU by 44 in your "neutral field" and i could be wishing you luck against Mizzou next weekend. :wink:

When you look at the body of work, and who is the hotter team right now then yes Oklahoma (or Florida) deserves the number 2 spot....for now. Yes our Defense has given up a lot of points.....typically in the second half after we have huge leads and are putting in our benchwarmers. Yes Texas beat us by 10 POINTS (or as you all like to say in Austin by DOUBLE DIGITS) on a neutral field (even though it was in the state of TEXAS, play that game in OKLAHOMA sometime) after we had just lost one of our best linebackers for the season.

Our Defense has had a lot of injuries, still no excuse for giving up points, but we have one loss. Our special teams is suspect, as you well know, and cost us several TD's. Yet we have put up over 60 points how many times this year? You call it "running up the score" yet on the other hand if we just try to run out the clock and not score then you say our Defense is weak when a team starts to come back a little bit. I know you are from Austin, which is a lovely town btw (been there u2 elevation tour 2001), but C'mon you can't have it both ways.

I think Alabama, Florida, OU, or Texas either way are all deserving of the 1-2 spots and either team could come away the winner. Alabama shut out Auburn in the "Iron Bowl" a game they haven't won in 6 years. They are 12-0 amd nobody has found a way to beat them all year. Watch out for this Alabama team they are stronger than you think...might give Florida all they want in the SEC Championship. I guess we shall see.

Texas has nothing to be down about, and everything to be proud of. I wish you luck in your bowl game this year. :)

Double stomach-punch... BC's pretty much clinched the division.

I was actually hoping BC would take it. There's no way VT could've won the ACC championship if it was against FSU. This'll be a repeat revenge victory just like last year.

It's nice to see VT back on the BCS again, even if it is way at the bottom.

The VT/UVA game was intense, I was glad I went. It was nice to see Taylor actually throw the ball downfield. I hadn't seen that happen in awhile. And when was the last time a kick was blocked? The last one I remember is MD blocking one of ours!

Also, who the hell is that QB that the Wahoos pulled out of there ass? I don't think I've seen him play all season!

Wow, you must really really hate OU. While i can understand your disappointment, i really dont understand all of the anger. Even i rooted for Texas two years ago over USC in one of the best Championship games i have ever seen. No need for you to be bitter, if your team didn't get burned in Lubbock we wouldn't be having this conversation now would we? Maybe you guys should have beat Oklahoma State (in Austin, no doubt not in Stillwater) by 20 POINTS and beat OU by 44 in your "neutral field" and i could be wishing you luck against Mizzou next weekend. :wink:

I do really hate OU, that's just in our nature down here. However, I do know Texas didn't take care of business in Lubbock and is paying the price now while OU has steamrolled everything since 45-35 and has looked damn good in the process. I'm just pissed and bitter to have to watch two teams we beat (one of them being OU) play for a Big XII championship. The BCS isn't necessarily fucked up, but the Big XII tiebreak scenarios are. Even if we had pulled off the impossible today, I wouldn't be thrilled with the way things are in the conference.

When you look at the body of work, and who is the hotter team right now then yes Oklahoma (or Florida) deserves the number 2 spot....for now. Yes our Defense has given up a lot of points.....typically in the second half after we have huge leads and are putting in our benchwarmers. Yes Texas beat us by 10 POINTS (or as you all like to say in Austin by DOUBLE DIGITS) on a neutral field (even though it was in the state of TEXAS, play that game in OKLAHOMA sometime) after we had just lost one of our best linebackers for the season.

I'm not arguing OU's body of work, it's excellent. They're a great team, so is Tech for that matter. 45-35 happened and I loved every second of it, but at the end of the day OU did indeed have a better strength of schedule and has played amazingly, with the exception of the second half of the Shootout. I'm not ignoring this, and I think OU is just as worth as Texas. The Cotton Bowl is indeed neutral. I don't know if you've ever been to a RRS, but the tickets are distributed evenly and half the stadium is full of Sooner fans.

Our Defense has had a lot of injuries, still no excuse for giving up points, but we have one loss. Our special teams is suspect, as you well know, and cost us several TD's. Yet we have put up over 60 points how many times this year? You call it "running up the score" yet on the other hand if we just try to run out the clock and not score then you say our Defense is weak when a team starts to come back a little bit. I know you are from Austin, which is a lovely town btw (been there u2 elevation tour 2001), but C'mon you can't have it both ways.

We lost Orakpo (and Quan) in the Tech game, but I can't use them as excuses either. Shit happens. Running up the score is what I perceive when I see Stoops leaving in first-team guys midway into the 4th against aggy. I know style points matter, and as much as I hate Stoops I respect his coaching ability. But it's just a tough pill to swallow when I know we can't get those huge leads because Mack notoriously calls off the dogs early. I think OU's plainly got the better offense than Texas, but I think we've got a much better defense.

And this isn't confrontational, but lest you think I'm a t-shirt fan, I'm a senior at Texas, not just an Austinite going for the hometown. And I'm sticking around an extra semester to enjoy one last football season next year. Lucky me.

I think Alabama, Florida, OU, or Texas either way are all deserving of the 1-2 spots and either team could come away the winner. Alabama shut out Auburn in the "Iron Bowl" a game they haven't won in 6 years. They are 12-0 amd nobody has found a way to beat them all year. Watch out for this Alabama team they are stronger than you think...might give Florida all they want in the SEC Championship. I guess we shall see.

Texas has nothing to be down about, and everything to be proud of. I wish you luck in your bowl game this year. :)

Alabama and Florida will be a better game than everyone is thinking. I think OU mudholes Bama but falls to Florida, but I thought that about Texas too.

I'm proud of this team too. We all expected a down year and now it'll end in Fiesta, Sugar, or (with a Mizzou win) a MNC. I'm pleased at the results. I hate OU with all my heart, but damn it I respect the program. Best of luck to Sooner as well.

I think you're getting my bitching wrong. This whole thing sucks, but I don't blame OU for that. I don't blame the BCS either. Whether they would have benefited the Horns or not, there needs to be reform with Big XII tiebreak scenarios. Can't we just agree it's nice to see classless Tech's best season ever end with no conference championship game bid, no BCS bowl, and a January 1st date with Ole Miss in Dallas?

Man, the Shootout is going to feature some real bad blood next year.

Running up the score is what I perceive when I see Stoops leaving in first-team guys midway into the 4th against aggy. I know style points matter, and as much as I hate Stoops I respect his coaching ability. But it's just a tough pill to swallow when I know we can't get those huge leads because Mack notoriously calls off the dogs early. I think OU's plainly got the better offense than Texas, but I think we've got a much better defense.

this is the one argument that i keep seeing sips make, that hold now water. with the exception of the osu game, which was still very much in doubt ou scored 7 points combined in the 4th quarter of their blowouts.

as much as i hate to say it, they did not run up the score on a&m. they did everything not to. they did not score in the 4th and the game was 59-14, with 8 mins left in the third (tu led 21-3 at the same point), and 66-21 to start the 4th (tu led 28-3). it was something very similar against nebraska and tech. they could have easily scored 80 in all three of those games if they wanted to run it up. they essentially played about 2.5 quarters of their complete offense. anyway blaming them for still trying to score in the middle of the third, is just not seeing it objectively. that is not running up the score. i am no fan of stoops, but he has always said he plays his first team for 3 quarters because they have earned it. what is amazing is all those insane numbers came through three quarters.

the running up the score argument is just dumb, you need to quit using that excuse. ou's offense is just that good, and if anything they try very hard not to run it up, they don't even score in the 4th. you site the a&m game, but did you even watch it? they could have easily scored several more times, and chose not to.

B. I'm not diminishing anything Tech accomplished this season. They did beat us, which I'm sort of still not over, but are now the product of a fucked up system. It's not my fault they're eliminated, but since they are, I'm forced to weigh the head-to-head vs. OU.

In other words, losing to a crummy team is way better than losing to a good team (Notre Dame 1993, Miami 1983).

Overweighing one head-to-head game necessarily means underweighing (if not outright discarding) the other 11, and this is the logical result.

I do really hate OU, that's just in our nature down here.

I guess im just not one of those kinds of fans...i respect all of the programs even Texas. Yes i occasionally say things and am guilty of slurs regarding our friends to the south, all in fun, but i do not hate the program nor do i harbor any ill feelings towards Mack Brown.

I'm just pissed and bitter to have to watch two teams we beat (one of them being OU) play for a Big XII championship. The BCS isn't necessarily fucked up, but the Big XII tiebreak scenarios are. Even if we had pulled off the impossible today, I wouldn't be thrilled with the way things are in the conference.

At the end of the day when you have a three way tie one team is going to be happy and two are going to feel left out. If the other two teams would have taken care of business then we wouldn't have a tie. We all lost to each other...one team loses by a TD, one team by 10 points, and the other team by 44 points. If Texas was # 2 in the BCS and going to the Big 12 game then by your logic Texas Tech has a right to cry foul since they beat you, correct?

I'm not arguing OU's body of work, it's excellent. They're a great team, so is Tech for that matter. 45-35 happened and I loved every second of it, but at the end of the day OU did indeed have a better strength of schedule and has played amazingly, with the exception of the second half of the Shootout. I'm not ignoring this, and I think OU is just as worth as Texas. The Cotton Bowl is indeed neutral. I don't know if you've ever been to a RRS, but the tickets are distributed evenly and half the stadium is full of Sooner fans.

I understand that the Cotton Bowl is considered by most of the world to be neutral, and Dallas is a great place to party. But nothing can change the fact that the game takes place in the state of Texas even if OU has a slightly shorter drive to the game then UT, we are still playing Texas at the Texas State Fair in the state of Texas and the stadium is still a shithole despite all of the renovations. IF there is such a thing as a mental edge in this rivalry then Texas has it. Heck move the game to Little Rock if you truly want it to be neutral. :wink:

That said, your guys beat us fair and square and you were the better team that day. It could have easily gone the other way...but im not bitter. There's always next year...

We lost Orakpo (and Quan) in the Tech game, but I can't use them as excuses either. Shit happens. Running up the score is what I perceive when I see Stoops leaving in first-team guys midway into the 4th against aggy. I know style points matter, and as much as I hate Stoops I respect his coaching ability. But it's just a tough pill to swallow when I know we can't get those huge leads because Mack notoriously calls off the dogs early. I think OU's plainly got the better offense than Texas, but I think we've got a much better defense.

The whole "running up the score" arguement doesn't make a lot sense when you are trying to get to a BCS game and a conference championship and there is a potential three way tie looming, and you could otherwise be on the outside looking in. If the other team can't stop us then how is that our fault? I was at the OU - Tenessee Chatanooga game back in september when we were up 50-0 at the half. The final score was 52-7.... were we running it up there? We were creatively trying to find ways not to score, the game could have easily been 100-0. Most of our blowout games (except Oklahoma State) we had a huge lead at the half and ran pretty conservative playcalling in the 4th quarter to try and run out the clock. Sometimes in doing so we allow the other team to get the ball and they score late TD's on us and it makes our Defense look bad. I think we could have scored well into the 70's or 80's had we kept our entire team on the field and kept the same offensive philosophy.

And this isn't confrontational, but lest you think I'm a t-shirt fan, I'm a senior at Texas, not just an Austinite going for the hometown. And I'm sticking around an extra semester to enjoy one last football season next year. Lucky me.

Alabama and Florida will be a better game than everyone is thinking. I think OU mudholes Bama but falls to Florida, but I thought that about Texas too.

I'm proud of this team too. We all expected a down year and now it'll end in Fiesta, Sugar, or (with a Mizzou win) a MNC. I'm pleased at the results. I hate OU with all my heart, but damn it I respect the program. Best of luck to Sooner as well.

I think you're getting my bitching wrong. This whole thing sucks, but I don't blame OU for that. I don't blame the BCS either. Whether they would have benefited the Horns or not, there needs to be reform with Big XII tiebreak scenarios. Can't we just agree it's nice to see classless Tech's best season ever end with no conference championship game bid, no BCS bowl, and a January 1st date with Ole Miss in Dallas?

Well good luck your senior year, i certainly dont hate Texas "with all of my heart" nor do i hate Mack Brown. I may dislike the program in a rivalry sense for at least one game, but as much as i may dislike them i have a mutual respect for them and often times have to root for them. And i always root for the entire Big 12 in all of the Bowl Games. Hate is a strong word, and in my occupation you learn to distinguish hate and dislike as two very different meanings.

It was nice to see us beat Tech the way we did, and they had it coming. Graham Harrell's attitude after they beat Texas and Oklahoma State was a bit annoying, i don't have exact quotes but they interviewed him and he said something to the effect that "they (OSU) didn't stop us, we stopped ourselves". After we got screwed in Lubbock the last two times it was nice to blow them out this year when they were the #2 team. Having said all of that Crabtree is one of the best players in football, like Colt McCoy from Texas, and Mike Leach is a good guy and an interesting character.

Man, the Shootout is going to feature some real bad blood next year.

Perhaps...next year is a long way off...but if we played that game tomorrow i think OU wins by 4 TD's :wink:

Have the best day,
Land Thief-
Out

I think what we can really establish through all of this is that there really isn't a right or wrong answer. Each argument has its merits, each has its faults. Garrison, you make compelling arguments for each of your points, and I respect that.

I think I'm using hate more in the sports definition of it. I recognize OU as a fine institution and a fine athletic program. I even said in a previous post that I respect it.

The stats don't lie, and my "running up the score" point was off base. I've been drinking too much of the burnt orange kool aid.

I do contend that despite the State Fair and Dallas, it is indeed neutral. In my experiences at the RRS, it's about as evenly split as you could hope for.

And re: Tech. My big problem there is the fans and Harrell's attitude. Crabtree is ridiculous; Leach is quite a character and good for NCAA football. But Harrell's cockiness coupled with the complete classlessness of their fan base makes them the team I least want to succeed. If I ever saw similar behavior at DKR by Texas fans, I would be completely embarrassed.

If Texas was # 2 in the BCS and going to the Big 12 game then by your logic Texas Tech has a right to cry foul since they beat you, correct?

Yep. There's just no right way to settle a three-way tie. If the shoe was on the other foot, with OU beating Texas in the RRS and Texas finishing ahead, Stoops and the fans would have the same reaction as Mack and we did. OU won the tiebreaker, and that's fine. It'll just become another chapter in one of the greatest rivalries in college football. I sincerely hope we mudhole them next October. But then again, I hope we mudhole everyone.

I have to add this: I've read in a few places that Florida is no shoo in to make it to the MNC even if they beat Bama due to their standing in the computers. This could pave the way for a Texas/OU rematch in the MNC game.

It's a very, very, very unlikely scenario, but how great would that be?

I have to add this: I've read in a few places that Florida is no shoo in to make it to the MNC even if they beat Bama due to their standing in the computers. This could pave the way for a Texas/OU rematch in the MNC game.

I read this too. I believe it also means that Florida could beat Alabama but Bama could still make it to the NC. :lol:

At this point, my biggest hope is that Ohio State doesn't jump Boise State to get the last at large bid. :down: I want Utah and Boise in BCS bowls.

Au contrair, Screw.

The SEC beating themselves up all season could ruin both 'Bama's and The Teboner's strength of schedule, while the Big 12 is elevated by the 4 major teams (yeah, Mizzou deserves to be up there, too) and a couple of solid teams.

If Boise and Utah win out, they'll make the at-large bids. Hell, Ball State could jump up there if they win out, too, probably leaving Ohio State at the cusp.

I think what we can really establish through all of this is that there really isn't a right or wrong answer. Each argument has its merits, each has its faults. Garrison, you make compelling arguments for each of your points, and I respect that.

Fair enough, and thank you for your compliments. :)

I think your right about Harrell too, he does seem a bit cocky for his own good. I guess we brought him back down to earth for one game at least. No doubt he is good but without Crabtree is he ever a Heismann candidate?

have to add this: I've read in a few places that Florida is no shoo in to make it to the MNC even if they beat Bama due to their standing in the computers. This could pave the way for a Texas/OU rematch in the MNC game.

It would be something alright. And i was only kidding about "the four touchdowns" earlier. I think its closer than that. It sure would settle the current situation we are in once and for all now wouldn't it?

But i think it is odd that nobody is giving Alabama a chance in the SEC title game, everyone is picking Florida. All Bama has done is win every game. Of course nobody is giving Missouri a chance against us either...

Cheers

There's a plane flying around campus right now with a banner that says "Hey Mack stop whining u knew the rules."

It's been flying around all day.

There's a plane flying around campus right now with a banner that says "Hey Mack stop whining u knew the rules."

It's been flying around all day.

im suprised nobody took a shot at it

:sexywink:

seriously though, its all just so absurd. And slightly funny if you think about it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom