College Football 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After beating Citadel, why wouldn't they be #2? Oklahoma definitely didn't deserve that spot either.

AP Top 25

* 1.Alabama (63)
* 2.Florida (2)
* 3.Oklahoma
* 4.Texas
* 5.USC
* 6.Penn St.
* 7.Texas Tech
* 8.Utah
* 9.Boise St.
* 10.Ohio St.
* 11.Oklahoma St.
* 12.Missouri
* 13.Georgia
* 14.TCU
* 15.Ball St.
* 16.Cincinnati
* 17.Oregon St.
* 18.Georgia Tech
* 19.Oregon
* 20.BYU
* 20.Boston Coll.
* 22.Michigan St.
* 23.Florida St.
* 24.Northwestern
* 25.Mississippi

View Complete Poll Sun Nov 23, 2008
USA Today

* Alabama (56)
* Oklahoma (4)
* Florida (1)
* Texas
* USC
* Penn St.
* Utah
* Texas Tech
* Boise St.
* Ohio St.
* Missouri
* Oklahoma St.
* Georgia
* TCU
* Ball St.
* Cincinnati
* Oregon St.
* Oregon
* BYU
* Northwestern
* Michigan St.
* Boston Coll.
* Georgia Tech
* Florida St.
* West Virginia

View Complete Poll Sun Nov 23, 2008

I'm beginning to think even an OU win over Okie Lite won't propel them past us. This is provided, of course, we take care of business against aggy on Thanksgiving Day.

I think a lot of the gains OU made in the human polls were reaction to their complete mudholing of Tech in primetime. When voters sit down for their final ballots, I think they'll weigh things differently and remember how, on a sunny October afternoon, Texas beat OU by double digits on a neutral field.

Furthermore, everyone seems to agree that the winner of the Florida/Bama game will be in the MNC. If that logic holds, shouldn't the winner of the Texas/OU game go since those two round out the top four?

Oh wait, we already played that game.

Texas Tech is getting screwed -- typical bias against late-season losses.

Alabama is undefeated.

TT, Texas and Oklahoma have all lost to each other, TT worse than the others, and all have pretty solid resumes otherwise.

Everyone else has lost to a team that sucks.

How can TT be #7?

This one always makes me laugh...its a public poll from Yahoo!

Yahoo! User Rankings

* 1.Alabama
* 2.Texas Tech
* 3.Texas
* 4.Florida
* 5.Oklahoma
* 6.Penn State
* 7.Oklahoma State
* 8.Georgia
* 9.Missouri
* 10.Utah
* 11.TCU
* 12.Michigan State
* 13.Boise State
* 14.Oregon State
* 15.Brigham Young
* 16.LSU
* 17.Oregon
* 18.Cincinnati
* 19.Ohio State
* 20.Nebraska
* 21.Ball State
* 22.USC
* 23.Pittsburgh
* 24.Florida State
* 25.Iowa

View Complete Results Sun Nov 23, 2008

I'm surprised Florida State that high in the BCS. That Maryland smackdown was the best game they've played all season and actually gave me a glimmer of hope that the Florida game will at least be kind of close. When their O-line and Special Teams get into shape, they're going to be really dangerous.

Myron Rolle winning the Rhodes Scholarship is absolutely stellar.

If Derrick Williams mans up and doesn't duck out of the way of a pass across the middle, Penn State is playing in the national championship.

God damn it.

What's the tiebreak in the Big 12, is it BCS ranking? That's going to be a bite for somebody (right now looks like OU), though on the flip side if the tiebreak winner (UT) loses in the CG I'm guessing the tiebreak loser (OU) jumps into the championship against the 'Bama/Florida winner?

Either way Tech is screwed...but to be fair they got absolutely hammered.

It's the BCS ranking. It should be like the SEC: head-to-head of the top two BCS rankings.

45-35.

The esteemed Jeff Sagarin's submission to the BCS this week ranks the Dukes No. 24, making the James Madison -- 31-7 loser to Duke in their only game against I-A competition -- the first ever I-AA/FCS team to earn BCS poll points of any kind.

This has been brewing for a while. Every Monday morning for the last few weeks, a JMU alum has messaged me on the Dukes' latest conquest in the Sagarin poll. Last week, they were ranked ahead of West Virginia. This week, they're ahead of not only the Mountaineers, but according to the ELO_CHESS rating (not Sagarin's "official" ranking, but the one actually submitted to the BCS, with margin of victory removed), they also trump LSU, Iowa, Michigan State, North Carolina, Cincinnati, Oregon, South Carolina, Nebraska, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Northwestern, UConn, Tulsa, South Florida, Western Michigan, Tulsa, Central Michigan and Rice, all of which are either in or received at least one vote for this week's Associated Press or Coaches polls.

once again proving why i refuse to get into college football... it's an absolute joke.

When voters sit down for their final ballots, I think they'll weigh things differently and remember how, on a sunny October afternoon, Texas beat OU by double digits on a neutral field.

or maybe ou will lose to osu, and then tt will win the big 12 championship. then poll voters will sit down and remember how tt beat tu late in the season.

Lets hope for Auburn to beat Bama, FSU to beat FLA, OKie Lite to beat OU, A&M To pull the colossal upset of UT and UCLA to beat USC next week (ND has no shot) and get a Utah/Boise State title game with Ball State protesting the game.

What...could happen. :wink:

yeah. would you like me to use whorn, since you are using aggy? :wink:
the tu thing is out of habit, and has be ingrained. i'm not really your typical ag, since i grew up in westport, ct. and have lots of friends that went to tu. i probably spent more time in austin, than college station while in school.

i hate tech (their fans are hands down the most obnoxious i have ever been around) more than tu in football, i am really just playing devil's advocate here.

my point is simply that there is no good argument and the system sucks.

i would like to see florida lose to fsu, then beat bama and tu and ou play a rematch for the title. probably would be the best game anyway.

please just don't run it up tomorrow. fwiw, i think tu wins about 63-21. they will score as much as they want.

Chalk me up as a member of the Florida State Beating Florida Pipe Dream, if you'd like.

i hate tech (their fans are hands down the most obnoxious i have ever been around) more than tu in football, i am really just playing devil's advocate here.

my point is simply that there is no good argument and the system sucks.

i would like to see florida lose to fsu, then beat bama and tu and ou play a rematch for the title. probably would be the best game anyway.

please just don't run it up tomorrow. fwiw, i think tu wins about 63-21. they will score as much as they want.

Tech really is absolutely insufferable. I went up to Lubbock a couple years back (the game Texas went down 21-0 early only to come back) and had things thrown at me, was cursed at, threatened with violence, etc. Worst fans in the Big XII, if not the nation.

I agree there isn't a good argument, but if the voters are going to drop Tech so far down that they're out of the equation, they can't use the "OU>Tech>Texas>OU>Tech>..." argument. If Tech's out of the picture, and they are, you have to use what has the most value in football, the head-to-head. I'd love to see us play OU for a title. It would be epic. But as it stands, it's my senior year and it's be a great way to end my career with a trip to Miami for a MNC. If we get Sugar or Fiesta, I might not go. But if it's MNC, I'll spare no expense in going.

And don't worry about tonight. Even if it's a mudhole, Mack doesn't believe in running up the score like Stoops. I don't want to look past aggy yet though. 12-7 was a kick in the balls and my Kyle Field debut last year wasn't any better. I will say Kyle Field is a better gameday environment than DKR, with the exception of the Mizzou game this year. Loudest I've ever heard DKR, and Mack asked us to do that again tonight. The alumni are so complacent and, oftentimes, the students are too. I hope the tryptophan doesn't knock us all out.

impy13;5635567 I agree there isn't a good argument said:
most[/i] value in football, the head-to-head. I'd love to see us play OU for a title. It would be epic. But as it stands, it's my senior year and it's be a great way to end my career with a trip to Miami for a MNC. If we get Sugar or Fiesta, I might not go. But if it's MNC, I'll spare no expense in going.

There's no reason why head-to-head should be important. It is a completely arbitrary tiebreaker. If teams A and B are both 11-1 and team A beat team B, this also means that team B lost to some other team C that sucks (relatively speaking).

Tech really is absolutely insufferable. I went up to Lubbock a couple years back (the game Texas went down 21-0 early only to come back) and had things thrown at me, was cursed at, threatened with violence, etc. Worst fans in the Big XII, if not the nation.

:down: Texas Tech is terrible. My strongest memory of them is celebrating a touchdown in a bowl game against Navy in which the whole offense pretended to get killed by a bomb (the football). We were in Iraq at the time too. :huh:

impy must be very happy, Howard.

oldgregg2wq8.jpg

I'm pleased to finish the regular season on a high note. I just hope it was enough. I was surprised to see Mack call the dogs off with 12 minutes left in 4th by putting in John "hey, I'm from impy's hometown" Chiles. I'm just nervous about this weekend. But hell, a 11-1 regular season when most of us thought it was a rebuilding year and prologue to an excellent 09 campaign won't see me complaining. But now that we're knocking on the door of a Big XII title and MNC berth, I really want it.

I forgot to record the game, so what was the spin by the commentators like? Were the signs talked about a lot? They were everywhere

I'm pleased to finish the regular season on a high note. I just hope it was enough. I was surprised to see Mack call the dogs off with 12 minutes left in 4th by putting in John "hey, I'm from impy's hometown" Chiles. I'm just nervous about this weekend. But hell, a 11-1 regular season when most of us thought it was a rebuilding year and prologue to an excellent 09 campaign won't see me complaining. But now that we're knocking on the door of a Big XII title and MNC berth, I really want it.

I forgot to record the game, so what was the spin by the commentators like? Were the signs talked about a lot? They were everywhere

they talked about the signs and interviewed the guy who started it. he made his case, but looked a little dumb when chris fowler said should't tech start a website with 39-33? they guy said something about i don't know.

the signs were everywhere. fowler, and jesse palmer were playing up tu pretty big, but they all sound like they are just trying to make as much controversy as possible. palmer said how impressed he was when they went up 35-3 in the 4th. (although ou was up at kyle 55-14 with about 10 mins left in the 3rd.) callin off the dogs, by taking out colt didn't hurt you at all, and may have backfired otherwise. the pollsters dropped tt, after they called a late timeout :)30 left) to add a td to make the game a 17 pt win vs. 10. it wasn't going to matter who was in, you were going to cover the spread.

the one thing tu missed, they should have just run north south on the ags this year. your offense looked good, but not great for almost the whole fist half, because of the stupid zone read. it worked (as will everything against a&m this year), but it was getting too cute. all you have to do is line up and run right at a&m, they essentially have a whole where the lb's should be (all our lbs are just plain awful) ou ran off 20 yd runs everytime, with straight up between the tackles, and counters. that and throw the ball downfield. all the wr screens and slip screens- that is the one thing a&m can half way defend. eveytime they threw the ball down the field they got huge gains, and colt had forever to throw.

was very impressed with tu's defense. a&m's o line is so atrocious its hard to know how good any defense is against a&m, but the first half was very impressive. the fact that mcgee completed anything was a miracle with the time he had to throw.

all that said, just basing off playing ou at home and tu on the road. ou's offense is much better right now. ou let up big time on a&m to score just 66. they could have easily scored 80+.

tu's defense seemed to be playing better than ou's (although they looked really good vs tt).

if ou's beats okie lite on the road by 14+ they will be in the big 12 championship. the whole comparing wins, home and road and tu barely beating osu at home may come back to bite them (not a fair way to compare but it will happen). the only hope tu has is ou loses or looks awful and the human polls penalize them for it. otherwise the fact that a&m is going to bring down your sos, and osu is going to bring up ou's will make the difference.

It's been a weird day so far. What a game between KU and Mizzou. GT beats Georgia in Athens. And Florida/FSU is giving new meaning to my favorite football term: mudhole. That games is being played in a monsoon.

Sic em Bears!

Back
Top Bottom