College Football 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe a Penn State v. Oregon State rematch in the Rose Bowl at this rate...

SC can't get style points for their stellar defense and Coach Carroll looks like a guy finally on the way out...I really think he'll entertain a SF 49er offer...time to get out; despite the win, this team really upsets me...hey, Pete; take Mark Sanchez with you...there was a good article in Rivals earlier this week...suggests that Pete Carroll has basically removed all of the top talent from the rest of the PAC-10 as he gets them to commit to SC; it makes his team 5-deep at certain key positions and his acquisitions weaken the rest of the league...he'd rather stockpile these kids than take a chance that they would play for another team and come back to beat him...I'm pissed.

Sat, Aug 30 at Virginia W 52-7 --
Sat, Sep 13 (5) Ohio State W 35-3 --
Thu, Sep 25 at Oregon State L 21-27 --
Sat, Oct 4 (23) Oregon W 44-10 --
Sat, Oct 11 Arizona State W 28-0 --
Sat, Oct 18 at Washington State W 69-0 --
Sat, Oct 25 at Arizona W 17-10 --
Sat, Nov 1 Washington W 56-0 --
Sat, Nov 8 (21) California W 17-3 --
Sat, Nov 15 at Stanford 7:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 29 Notre Dame 8:00 pm --
Sat, Dec 6 at UCLA 4:30 pm

:sigh:

Penn State played poorly, but a bullshit pass interference call on the last drive kept Iowa alive.

How was that a bullshit PI call? The safety hit the WR before the ball got there. Even the announcers called it that way. I would much prefer that Iowa would have completed a pass for the first down as opposed to getting it via a penalty, but it was the correct call.

PSU needed to generate more than 86 yards of offense in the last 30 minutes. They didn't, and that's why they lost.

AP Top 25

* 1.Alabama (44)
* 2.Texas Tech (21)
* 3.Florida
* 4.Texas
* 5.Oklahoma
* 6.USC
* 7.Penn St.
* 8.Utah
* 9.Boise St.
* 10.Ohio St.
* 11.Oklahoma St.
* 12.Missouri
* 13.Georgia
* 14.Ball St.
* 15.TCU
* 16.BYU
* 17.North Carolina
* 18.Michigan St.
* 19.LSU
* 20.Florida St.
* 21.Pittsburgh
* 22.Cincinnati
* 23.Oregon St.
* 24.South Carolina
* 25.Tulsa

View Complete Poll Sun Nov 9, 2008
USA Today

* Alabama (44)
* Texas Tech (17)
* Florida
* Oklahoma
* Texas
* USC
* Utah
* Penn St.
* Boise St.
* Ohio St.
* Missouri
* Georgia
* Oklahoma St.
* BYU
* Michigan St.
* Ball St.
* North Carolina
* TCU
* Florida St.
* LSU
* Pittsburgh
* Cincinnati
* South Carolina
* Tulsa
* Oregon St.

BCS poll out later tonight...

AP Top 25

* 1.Alabama (44)
* 2.Texas Tech (21)
* 3.Florida
* 4.Texas
* 5.Oklahoma
* 6.USC
* 7.Penn St.
* 8.Utah
* 9.Boise St.
* 10.Ohio St.
* 11.Oklahoma St.
* 12.Missouri
* 13.Georgia
* 14.Ball St.
* 15.TCU
* 16.BYU
* 17.North Carolina
* 18.Michigan St.
* 19.LSU
* 20.Florida St.
* 21.Pittsburgh
* 22.Cincinnati
* 23.Oregon St.
* 24.South Carolina
* 25.Tulsa

USA Today

* Alabama (44)
* Texas Tech (17)
* Florida
* Oklahoma
* Texas
* USC
* Utah
* Penn St.
* Boise St.
* Ohio St.
* Missouri
* Georgia
* Oklahoma St.
* BYU
* Michigan St.
* Ball St.
* North Carolina
* TCU
* Florida St.
* LSU
* Pittsburgh
* Cincinnati
* South Carolina
* Tulsa
* Oregon St.

BCS poll out later tonight...

Bowl Champ. Series

* Alabama
* Texas Tech
* Texas
* Florida
* Oklahoma
* USC
* Utah
* Penn St.
* Boise St.
* Georgia
* Ohio St.
* Missouri
* Oklahoma St.
* Ball St.
* Michigan St.
* North Carolina
* BYU
* TCU
* Florida St.
* LSU
* Pittsburgh
* Cincinnati
* Tulsa
* Wake Forest
* South Carolina

How was that a bullshit PI call? The safety hit the WR before the ball got there. Even the announcers called it that way. I would much prefer that Iowa would have completed a pass for the first down as opposed to getting it via a penalty, but it was the correct call.

PSU needed to generate more than 86 yards of offense in the last 30 minutes. They didn't, and that's why they lost.

He did not hit him, they hit each other, both going for the ball.

They did not play well enough to win that game, and that is the story of the day. I agree.

The big play was Williams shying away from the ball and letting the Iowa guy pick it off. He played scared and it cost them.

The fact that, if OU wins out, we'll be behind them in the BCS at the end of the year is ridiculous. I guess a double digit victory on a neutral field head-to-head means nothing.

Maybe a Penn State v. Oregon State rematch in the Rose Bowl at this rate...

SC can't get style points for their stellar defense and Coach Carroll looks like a guy finally on the way out...I really think he'll entertain a SF 49er offer...time to get out; despite the win, this team really upsets me...hey, Pete; take Mark Sanchez with you...there was a good article in Rivals earlier this week...suggests that Pete Carroll has basically removed all of the top talent from the rest of the PAC-10 as he gets them to commit to SC; it makes his team 5-deep at certain key positions and his acquisitions weaken the rest of the league...he'd rather stockpile these kids than take a chance that they would play for another team and come back to beat him...I'm pissed.

Sat, Aug 30 at Virginia W 52-7 --
Sat, Sep 13 (5) Ohio State W 35-3 --
Thu, Sep 25 at Oregon State L 21-27 --
Sat, Oct 4 (23) Oregon W 44-10 --
Sat, Oct 11 Arizona State W 28-0 --
Sat, Oct 18 at Washington State W 69-0 --
Sat, Oct 25 at Arizona W 17-10 --
Sat, Nov 1 Washington W 56-0 --
Sat, Nov 8 (21) California W 17-3 --
Sat, Nov 15 at Stanford 7:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 29 Notre Dame 8:00 pm --
Sat, Dec 6 at UCLA 4:30 pm

I read the same article. Seeing how bad the Washington teams are I tend to believe it. The conference doesn't deserve an automatic BCS berth. That is the thing that has really bothered me this year. The Mountain West deserves that spot. :down:

There is not much balance in college football right now.

I think it's something that needs to be reformed in a number of ways.

I was wondering the same thing for Penn State. Unfortunately for them, there's no conference close to an SEC or Big XII in that area.

I just talked to my cousin. He had booked a hotel for Miami for the National Championship Game, knowing they would be in high demand. He just called to cancel the reservations.

I just talked to my cousin. He had booked a hotel for Miami for the National Championship Game, knowing they would be in high demand. He just called to cancel the reservations.

I was going to do it had we won the Tech game.

Is a university, for instance, SC, bound to a certain conference? What does it take for a school to withdraw and declare itself an Independent? Anyone?

Wow. One bad year and you're ready to throw the Pac-10 under the bus.

No.....the question was related to the strength/weakness of the conference and I was wondering aloud how a college is tied to a specific division, for how long and what could be done to leave and face worthy national opponents??? I've been an SC fans since kid-hood....that will never change no matter their record or place...

And they aren't having a BAD year, its that the top 10 across the board is having a great year.

Son of a bitch!!!!!!!

Hokies coordinator Foster to interview for Clemson job
MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said he told his players after a 16-14 loss to Miami on Thursday night that defensive coordinator Bud Foster will interview for the Clemson job, most likely on Friday.

"I believe it's tomorrow," Beamer said Thursday night. "I just told our people in there I wish him well. He's done a great job for us and he deserves the opportunity."

Foster, who has spent the past 13 seasons as the Hokies' defensive coordinator, has earned respect throughout the country as a motivator and is regarded as one of the game's top assistants. His defenses have been among the nation's best in recent years.

In 2006, he won the Broyles Award, which is given to the top assistant in the country. His 2005 and 2006 teams both led the nation in total defense.

Foster is one of several candidates who have been confirmed as interviewing for the job to replace Tommy Bowden, who stepped down on Oct. 13 after 10 seasons there. Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables and former Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin also have interviewed with Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips in the past two weeks.

"It definitely hurt" to hear the news, cornerback Victor "Macho" Harris said. "It's my last year, but he's a great, great, great teacher, great helper, I mean a great father figure in our lives. I'm not saying he's going to get the job, but just to have that piece missing, if he does get the job it will definitely hurt me and the younger guys behind me. I know they'll be hurt. I kind of want to be selfish and hope he doesn't get the job, but at the same time, Coach Foster deserves everything he gets."

The Tigers also are interested in talking to Vanderbilt coach Bobby Johnson, a Clemson alumnus, and Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, according to multiple sources.

Interim Clemson coach Dabo Swinney, whose Tigers have won one of three games following Bowden's resignation, also is considered a possible candidate for the full-time position.

i don't even wanna know what a hokie defense would be like without our bud :depressed:

AP Top 25

* 1.Alabama (42)
* 2.Texas Tech (21)
* 3.Florida (2)
* 4.Texas
* 5.Oklahoma
* 6.USC
* 7.Penn St.
* 8.Utah
* 9.Boise St.
* 10.Ohio St.
* 11.Oklahoma St.
* 12.Missouri
* 13.Georgia
* 14.Ball St.
* 15.TCU
* 16.BYU
* 17.Michigan St.
* 18.LSU
* 19.Cincinnati
* 20.Pittsburgh
* 21.Oregon St.
* 22.Maryland
* 23.Miami (FL)
* 24.Oregon
* 25.North Carolina

View Complete Poll Sun Nov 16, 2008
USA Today

* Alabama (45)
* Texas Tech (15)
* Florida (1)
* Texas
* Oklahoma
* USC
* Utah
* Penn St.
* Boise St.
* Ohio St.
* Missouri
* Oklahoma St.
* Georgia
* BYU
* Michigan St.
* Ball St.
* TCU
* LSU
* Pittsburgh
* Cincinnati
* Oregon St.
* Oregon
* Maryland
* Northwestern
* Boston Coll.

Bowl Champ. Series

* Alabama
* Texas Tech
* Texas
* Florida
* Oklahoma
* USC
* Utah
* Penn St.
* Boise St.
* Ohio St.
* Georgia
* Oklahoma St.
* Missouri
* BYU
* Michigan St.
* TCU
* Ball St.
* LSU
* Cincinnati
* Pittsburgh
* Oregon St.
* North Carolina
* Miami (FL)
* Oregon
* Maryland

The Seminoles fucking suck. They could've taken control of the ACC Atlantic, but found a way to fuck it up. I could've sworn BC ran the same 2-3 running plays down the stretch that totally killed us in the last quarter. The fake punt run and RB pass were fantastic though.

If they beat Maryland next week and pray that BC beats Wake, they can win the division. If not, they're done.

They also have no chance of winning the Florida game, at all. Urban Meyer is the best coach in college football, and if you're not sure, ask him.

I really think Shone Greene should get some love for the Heisman I know he's a semi finialist for the Doak, and probably will come down between him and Ringer. But SG has the same stats (actually more Rush Yards on almost 100 fewer carries), but plays on a team that's 7-4 and been under the radar.

He's racked up all of these yards against teams preparing to stop him. This is a guy who was working at a Furniture store last year for a few months to help pay for his school and get back into Iowa. Yeah, he's not the brightest, but he has worked hard to get back.

He was not in game shape in the losses at Pitt and Northwestern (actually got his bell rung in the latter). Had he been in good shape, probably would have won those two games easily. Wudda, Cudda, Shudda though.

Anyway, just trying to plug the best player on Iowa, and probably the best player in the Big10 for sure considering what he's had to work with (offense that can't pass).

He's only gotten stronger throughout the year. Just want to see a good kid get some much needed exposure (and it's good for Iowa heehee)

I really think Shone Greene should get some love for the Heisman I know he's a semi finialist for the Doak, and probably will come down between him and Ringer. But SG has the same stats (actually more Rush Yards on almost 100 fewer carries), but plays on a team that's 7-4 and been under the radar.

He's racked up all of these yards against teams preparing to stop him. This is a guy who was working at a Furniture store last year for a few months to help pay for his school and get back into Iowa. Yeah, he's not the brightest, but he has worked hard to get back.

He was not in game shape in the losses at Pitt and Northwestern (actually got his bell rung in the latter). Had he been in good shape, probably would have won those two games easily. Wudda, Cudda, Shudda though.

Anyway, just trying to plug the best player on Iowa, and probably the best player in the Big10 for sure considering what he's had to work with (offense that can't pass).

He's only gotten stronger throughout the year. Just want to see a good kid get some much needed exposure (and it's good for Iowa heehee)

Thank Ohio State. Their big game losses have taken all attention away from some great players and teams in the Big 10. Greene IS the Iowa offense. To me he is the best offensive player in the conference. :up:

How the heck did Penn State lose to Iowa?

Michigan State is not playing badly at all, but they're down 28-7 to PSU at half.

The Seminoles fucking suck. They could've taken control of the ACC Atlantic, but found a way to fuck it up. I could've sworn BC ran the same 2-3 running plays down the stretch that totally killed us in the last quarter. The fake punt run and RB pass were fantastic though.

If they beat Maryland next week and pray that BC beats Wake, they can win the division. If not, they're done.

They also have no chance of winning the Florida game, at all. Urban Meyer is the best coach in college football, and if you're not sure, ask him.

Are you going to the FSU/UF game? I'm thinking about driving up to Tally...:hmm:

Saw Urban Meyer jogging down frat row the other day too! :lol:

Are you going to the FSU/UF game? I'm thinking about driving up to Tally...:hmm:

Saw Urban Meyer jogging down frat row the other day too! :lol:

Papa LMP is going, but I'm not. You should go if you want to see your Gators kick ass, which they will.

Most likely, I'll be there next year and will definitely try to go to as many games as possible.

Yeah UT looks screwed.

Syracuse? Are you serious? SYRACUSE??? I always liked ND as a kid...ugh. Having my own school go D-1 softens the blow a bit but still, the situation in South Bend is pretty depressing (unless you're part of the 99 zillion people who hate ND that is).

How the heck did Penn State lose to Iowa?

Michigan State is not playing badly at all, but they're down 28-7 to PSU at half.
The Penn State-Iowa game was definitively an outlier for Penn State, and, unfortunately, they're done because the Big Ten sucks.

Never has a year created more of an argument for an eight-team playoff. There's so many championship-caliber teams right now.

Oklahoma-Texas Tech is funny, if just for the fact that the creep with the face paint got flagged for unnecessary roughness.

Texas is out of luck when it comes to the National Championship.

leecorsosombrero1kg0.jpg

"Not so fast my friend."

The case for Texas:

* Texas was the only team not to play a game at home against the other top two teams in the South.
* Texas lost on the last play of the game, not in a blowout or by double digits on a neutral field.
* Texas went 3-1 in an unmatched stretch of games, all of which came against top-11 ranked teams.
* Between Texas and OU, the Longhorns have the more impressive win over Kansas.
* On average, the Texas non-conference schedule was the toughest of the three, and the Longhorns own the only win over Missouri, the Big XII North champions.
* And last, 45-35 on October 11th in Dallas.

We'll just have to see when the polls come out next Sunday. Even if we don't make the conference championship (we have to be higher than OU in the BCS to do so), there are backdoors to get us into the MNC.

Back
Top Bottom