College Football 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sixth Street was a complete shit fest last night, gang.

College Gameday is going to be with us Horns for the second straight week on Saturday, this time against Mizzou. I'm taking suggestions for what completely inappropriate signs I can hold up behind Lee Corso. No matter what, Saturday is going to be so much better than the previous home games we've had this year (FIU, Rice, Arky). I'm holding back on my tailgating alcohol intake so I can enjoy the entire game.

And for the record, none of us expected this. The consensus here on the 40 Acres was that it's a rebuilding year and we were going to be a force to be reckoned with in 2009. I may not be happy or optimistic about the #1 Train, but I'm going to ride it for as long as I can. I'm not quite ready to drink the Kool Aid, but wins over Mizzou and Tech will sway me.

AP Top 25
1.Texas (39)
2.Alabama (26)
3.Penn St.
4.Oklahoma
5.Florida
6.USC
7.Texas Tech
8.Oklahoma St.
9.BYU
10.Georgia
11.Missouri
12.Ohio St.
13.LSU
14.Utah
15.Boise St.
16.Kansas
17.Virginia Tech
18.North Carolina
19.South Florida
20.Michigan St.
21.Wake Forest
22.Vanderbilt
23.Pittsburgh
24.Ball St.
25.California
View Complete PollSun Oct 12, 2008

USA Today
Texas (44)
Alabama (14)
Penn St. (3)
#4. USC
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Florida
BYU
Georgia
Oklahoma St.
Ohio St.
Missouri
Utah
LSU
Kansas
Boise St.
Michigan St.
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
South Florida
North Carolina
California
Vanderbilt
TCU
Ball St.
View Complete PollSun Oct 12, 2008

*Sorry for the late postings, I'm still in the Land of the Terps...!

I'm starting to wonder if a Big 12 team may not make the National Championship. Those four top ten teams play in the same division and will play each other. I see them knocking each other off. A Penn State or USC could sneak in there by virtue of the polls. They should crush the rest of their schedule. We'll see.

Penn St still plays Ohio St, in Columbus......I don't think it's safe to assume they will crush them.

And when tOSU wins that game, coupled with Mizzou taking down Texas Saturday, Bama faltering and a few other puzzle pieces, tOSU will get a 3rd straight opportunity to embarass itself in the BCS title game.

Mark it down.

eatthe01.jpg

AP Top 25

* 1.Texas (65)
* 2.Alabama
* 3.Penn St.
* 4.Oklahoma
* 5.Florida
* 6.USC
* 7.Oklahoma St.
* 8.Texas Tech
* 9.Georgia
* 10.Ohio St.
* 11.LSU
* 12.Utah
* 13.Boise St.
* 14.South Florida
* 15.TCU
* 16.Missouri
* 17.Pittsburgh
* 18.BYU
* 19.Kansas
* 20.Ball St.
* 21.Georgia Tech
* 22.Tulsa
* 23.Boston Coll.
* 24.Florida St.
* 25.Minnesota

View Complete Poll Sun Oct 19, 2008
USA Today

* Texas (58)
* Alabama (1)
* Penn St. (2)
* USC
* Oklahoma
* Texas Tech
* Florida
* Oklahoma St.
* Georgia
* Ohio St.
* LSU
* Utah
* Boise St.
* South Florida
* TCU
* Missouri
* BYU
* Kansas
* Tulsa
* Pittsburgh
* Georgia Tech
* Ball St.
* Florida St.
* Northwestern
* Minnesota

The year's first appearance of the BCS Poll...

Bowl Champ. Series

1. Texas
2. Alabama
3. Penn St.
4. Oklahoma
5. USC
6. Oklahoma St.
7. Georgia
8. Texas Tech
9. Ohio St.
10. Florida
11. Utah
12. Boise St.
13. LSU
14. TCU
15. Missouri
16. South Florida
17. Pittsburgh
18. Georgia Tech
19. Tulsa
20. Ball St.
21. BYU
22. Northwestern
23. Kansas
24. Minnesota
25. Florida St.

The year's first appearance of the BCS Poll...

Bowl Champ. Series

1. Texas
2. Alabama
3. Penn St.
4. Oklahoma
5. USC
6. Oklahoma St.
7. Georgia
8. Texas Tech
9. Ohio St.
10. Florida
11. Utah
12. Boise St.
13. LSU
14. TCU
15. Missouri
16. South Florida
17. Pittsburgh
18. Georgia Tech
19. Tulsa
20. Ball St.
21. BYU
22. Northwestern
23. Kansas
24. Minnesota
25. Florida St.

enjoy it for the week you have it, fsu. :)

Snagged from Tom Dienhart @ Rivals.Com -

This week...

Ticket to die for: Georgia at LSU
Best Non-"Big Six" vs. "Big Six" matchup: Middle Tennessee at Mississippi State
Best non-"Big Six" matchup: UCF at Tulsa on Sunday
Upset alert: Oklahoma State over Texas in Austin
Must win: Ohio State over Penn State in Columbus
Offensive explosion: Minnesota at Purdue
Defensive struggle: Wake Forest at Miami
Great game no one is talking about: Texas Tech at Kansas
Intriguing coaching matchup: Ole Miss' Houston Nutt vs. Arkansas' Bobby Petrino
Who's bringing the body bags? Oklahoma at Kansas State
Why are they playing? SMU at Navy
Plenty of good seats remaining: Northwestern at Indiana
They shoot horses, don't they? Alabama at Tennessee

Wilbur Hacket, former SEC linebacker in the late 1960's delivering a hit to the South Carolina QB; he did everything right, dropped his shoulder, came up but didn't wrap his arms around Garcia...coaches think it was a legitimate effort to "get outta the way!"

I didn't see the first half of the game and then I was jumping channels but it sure looked pretty suspicious at first sight!

I'm A BYU Fan.

<>

That makes two of us, they're actually my alma mater. Unfortunately, this last week they only helped prove relative lameness of the Mountain West conference. :(

Now I can only hope that Utah also loses to TCU, to at least make BYU look a little better. Oh wellz.

Nice clip, headache.

The umpire did what he does best: not make any calls and simply just get in the way all the time.

Dumbest referee position in sports.

That makes two of us, they're actually my alma mater. Unfortunately, this last week they only helped prove relative lameness of the Mountain West conference. :(

Now I can only hope that Utah also loses to TCU, to at least make BYU look a little better. Oh wellz.

Really? I thought their loss showed the strength of the conference. TCU has been on the scene before and Utah won a BCS bowl a few years ago. So it seemed to show real strength at the top not a single dominate team.

Mountain West does have some pretty good teams. The college scene is starting to turn into the NFL in terms of Parity.

It really seems like any team can win these days. USC gets beat, and beat badly, by an average Oregon St team.

What's upset me about this year are my Hawkeyes!! They should be 8-0 right now. Threw away a game against Pittsburg because coaches decided to give last years starting QB a chance to earn the job for this year, despite the fact that backup (and now starter) was responsible for all the points they scored. Blown 17-3 lead going into half against Northwestern, and sloppy play against MSU and a blown blocking assignment kept us from winning....heehee, don't all fans think that though?

Beginning of year I was real skeptical of this Ferentz and his staff, but they seem to be getting things turned around. Big game in two weeks against Zooker, and then hosting Penn State at home will be even bigger if Iowa beats IL.

I'm just so glad it's football season....

Mountain West does have some pretty good teams. The college scene is starting to turn into the NFL in terms of Parity.

It really seems like any team can win these days. USC gets beat, and beat badly, by an average Oregon St team.

What's upset me about this year are my Hawkeyes!! They should be 8-0 right now. Threw away a game against Pittsburg because coaches decided to give last years starting QB a chance to earn the job for this year, despite the fact that backup (and now starter) was responsible for all the points they scored. Blown 17-3 lead going into half against Northwestern, and sloppy play against MSU and a blown blocking assignment kept us from winning....heehee, don't all fans think that though?

Beginning of year I was real skeptical of this Ferentz and his staff, but they seem to be getting things turned around. Big game in two weeks against Zooker, and then hosting Penn State at home will be even bigger if Iowa beats IL.

Beat badly???? I'll be the first to say that they looked terrible but losing by 6 does not mean a USC or any other team was beaten badly...'SC has lost 5 games in the past 2006...they've lost by a total of 20 points across those 5 games...

2006 - losses to Oregon State by 2 and UCLA by 4.
2007 - losses to Stanford by 1 and Oregon by 7;
2008 - loss to Oregon State by 6...

The only surprise loss of the above is the Stanford game where 'SC was favored by 42+; any team can walk on the field and get it handed to them but these scores don't reflect 'SC ever getting "beat badly".

I'm still pretty down on Ferentz. Iowa never seems to play at full speed in every game. Too much talent and little to show for it. He needs to go. Iowa isn't going up with him anymore.

Really? I thought their loss showed the strength of the conference. TCU has been on the scene before and Utah won a BCS bowl a few years ago. So it seemed to show real strength at the top not a single dominate team.

Fair enough. I guess my worry is that Utah will beat TCU and then BYU will beat Utah, so they all look mediocre in the end. If at least TCU remains dominant, the Mountain West will at least have one dominant team.

Back
Top Bottom