College Basketball 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw it coming, but I wouldn't have fired him. He's the best coach they've had in...ever. Being good is apparently enough for THE OSU to keep their football coach...

Jimmer can elevate

byu.opy6-81579-mid.jpg

So with Jimmer on the SI cover, Florida is a mortal lock.

Well, the SI curse didn't get him last week, Jimmer scored 66 points in BYU's two wins:

0319_large.jpg

So I'm hoping the curse won't claim Jimmer or BYU again this week. That said, Florida is a great team and it will take BYU shooting lights out again to beat them.

0328_large.jpg

Its pretty cool Jimmer made the SI cover two weeks in a row though (although last weeks was one of four regional covers). I'm not sure how many other people have ever done that.

Yeah, hopefully they continue playing well tonight. If they don't, I'll blame UiU for saying "elevate" and thus tying BYU to a terrible U2 song. :wink:

Gus Johnson just ruined all basketball credibility he has built up over the years by asking if BYU should foul in a tie game with 12 seconds left

It's not out of the question if you can foul a ~50% FT shooter (I think in NCAA you're allowed to foul before the inbounds pass? Seems like a really terrible rule) and you have a strong offense (ideally, you should have a timeout so that you can draw up a good play -- you'd need to be able to score about 30% of the time).

If the other team had Wilt Chamberlain and he got the ball deep in the post, you'd definitely want to hack him hard if there were still 12 seconds on the clock.

It's not out of the question if you can foul a ~50% FT shooter (I think in NCAA you're allowed to foul before the inbounds pass? Seems like a really terrible rule) and you have a strong offense (ideally, you should have a timeout so that you can draw up a good play -- you'd need to be able to score about 30% of the time).

C'mon...you don't even foul a blindfolded Ben Wallace in that scenario.

Would you do it if the other team scored on 99% of their offensive possessions but hit only 1% of their free throws? If your rotation ran only 7-deep and everyone had 4 fouls?

I think we've crossed from the ridiculous to the sublime with the hypotheticals.
But I will add that if my opponent somehow managed to score on 99% of its possessions, I wouldn't be in a tie game.

And if you have a 7 man rotation and everyone has 4 fouls, then you guarantee you just fouled out one of your guys...not smart coaching.

I think we've crossed from the ridiculous to the sublime with the hypotheticals.
But I will add that if my opponent somehow managed to score on 99% of its possessions, I wouldn't be in a tie game.

Answer the question, please.

I do not foul in that ridiculous scenario.

You needn't read any further then.

To everyone else, fouling when the other team is 99% from the field and 1% from the free throw line is pretty obviously correct. My point is that it's not at all obvious where the break-even point is. It can't be known unless you do the calculations.

And before anybody else pops in with some sort of appeal-to-authority argument about how ridiculous it is, international coaches sometimes foul intentionally in tie games.

Hope you ladies stopped your bickering during that 2nd half and watched Arizona curb-stomp the Dukesters.

Bear Down!

speedracer said:
Would you do it if the other team scored on 99% of their offensive possessions but hit only 1% of their free throws? If your rotation ran only 7-deep and everyone had 4 fouls?

Fouling when tied is like going for it on 4th down from your own 22 yard line when the other side has peyton manning. I'm sure there's a brilliant football mind out there who thinks it's a good idea. Probably even a few stats to back it up. But it's still stupid.

As has already been said, it's a bullshit scenario because if a team shot 99% from the field they would have well into the mid 100s... we're talking 140 and above, and that's if they only made 2 point field goals.

So unless we were breaking out the rock and jock 25 point baskets, tree ain't a chance in hell that ridiculous scenario would ever happen.

Fouling when tied is like going for it on 4th down from your own 22 yard line when the other side has peyton manning. I'm sure there's a brilliant football mind out there who thinks it's a good idea. Probably even a few stats to back it up. But it's still stupid.

As has already been said, it's a bullshit scenario because if a team shot 99% from the field they would have well into the mid 100s... we're talking 140 and above, and that's if they only made 2 point field goals.

So unless we were breaking out the rock and jock 25 point baskets, tree ain't a chance in hell that ridiculous scenario would ever happen.

As has been already said, that rhetorical dodge is completely irrelevant to the argument at hand.

If the other team is 35% to score on their possession and has a 50% FT shooter who you can foul immediately, your team is 90% to rebound a missed FT, 30% to score on the ensuing possession, doesn't have any 50% FT shooters (so the other team can't intentionally foul you back if they miss two) and 45% to win the overtime period, then fouling is actually correct. Tell me which of these percentages you think is unrealistic.

Back
Top Bottom