College Basketball 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Insulting in what way? I root against their basketball team because of Nova, that's about it.

Insulting... maybe not the best of words... I'm just sayin because he was pointing out how your team just got this great player... but he was from Pittsburgh (which... doesnt everyone from anywhere in Pennsylvania hate Pittsburgh unless you're from Pittsburgh itself? Idk, my southern ignorance.)

Not really. I'd say there's a bit of a Philly-Pittsburgh rivalry here at Penn State just because so many people are from one side of the state or the other, but as a whole? We don't have rivalries in football, baseball, or basketball. Only hockey. If the Steelers and Eagles were in the same division, there'd probably be a lot more animosity.

Ah okay, I always thought of Pittsburgh as the equivalent to Edmonton. The whole province hates them and they hate the whole province.

Guess it was a misguided thought.

I'm biased towards not hating Philly fans (despite being a Marlin fan). I grew up with Philly fans and they were always really nice to me :lol:

Every now and then though... a bit slips. I'm sure I've probably said a thing or two on Flyers fans.

I don't hate any fan group. I hate certain types of fans. If you're the type of fan who texts me five minutes after my team loses a playoff series because you want to gloat, then you're the fucking worst.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way (as in I hate those people). Even when it's warranted, I usually stay away from trash talk.

Unless it's a joke, of course. But nothing ever serious.

There's a sense of animosity towards Edmonton in Alberta.

OK. It's what I suspected: You have no idea of what you're talking about. The only animosity in Alberta (and I live there) is between Calgary and Edmonton. There's an intense rivalry between the two cities in every facet of life, but especially sports, not unlike what exists between Montreal and Toronto, Boston and New York, etc. And the province is essentially split in half, with the northern section in Edmonton's corner and the south with Calgary.

OK. It's what I suspected: You have no idea of what you're talking about. The only animosity in Alberta (and I live there) is between Calgary and Edmonton. There's an intense rivalry between the two cities in every facet of life, but especially sports, not unlike what exists between Montreal and Toronto, Boston and New York, etc. And the province is essentially split in half, with the northern section in Edmonton's corner and the south with Calgary.

Yeah, you got me. Clearly no idea what I'm talkin about.

Except, you know... the fact that you're almost saying exactly what I'm saying.

Granted, I dont live there myself, most of my family does.

What's the difference between Calgary/Edmonton, New York/Boston, Toronto/Montreal? Calgary/Edmonton is internal. Which is why I was relating it to Philly/Pittsburgh.

Ah okay, I always thought of Pittsburgh as the equivalent to Edmonton. The whole province hates them and they hate the whole province.

There's a sense of animosity towards Edmonton in Alberta.

This made it sound - to me - like Edmonton is universally disliked outside of Edmonton and Edmonton hates the whole province, which is not the case. That's all I was arguing. I'm saying the animosity is split down the middle provincially, as everything north of Red Deer is considered Oilers country (for example) and everything south is Flames territory.

But that's neither here nor there in regards to this thread. Almost a month to go before the start of what I consider one of the best tournaments in the world! :hyper:

Well I only wrote it that way because I assume Edmonton (and I speak of Edmonton as it's immediate surrounding area as well) is the lesser of the population versus all things south Alberta.

But you're right, gone completely off topic.

From what I understand, Calgary gets the worst of it of the "bad opinion" from the general Albertan, because it has the 'big city' and immigrant population and higher poverty in the inner city and high crime and etc etc. In other words, the rest of Alberta would likely side with Edmonton before Calgary, imo.

I don't think Toronto vs Montreal is a great analogy. Torontonians don't have any special hatred for Montrealers outside of hockey. We actually love going there for numerous reasons. We're both 2 big cities with the same social pluses and minuses. I think Toronto vs Ottawa or Toronto vs maybe Hamilton would be a better one. And why I say that is, I think you'd find more people in Central to Northern Ontario speaking positively of Ottawa before Toronto. Just the vibe I got living up there for 10 years or so. :shrug:

eta: wait...this is a basketball thread? :wink:

this is why all refs suck.

YouTube - Tim Floyd and Phil Johnson ejected from UTEP game

now tim floyd certainly got his moneys worth, and probably was looking for that 2nd T... considering that the other team shot 45 free throws in the game, i'd have gotten ejected, too...

but the second T is completely on the ref. floyd is still going, yes. but the ref is staring right at him while a player is on the line shooting the second free throw, and even walks closer to him, which is completely unneccesary. good refs ignore an out of control ref and make him just act a fool, so that the second T is obvious. ref's who want the spotlight engage the coach and then call the second T.

this guy blows, and i would have loved if floyd would have knocked him out.

okay not really... but secretly, deep down, yea.

apparently a grad assistant had to finish the game

BYU moves up to #3 in both polls after winning at SDSU on Saturday, and now talks of a possible 1 seed if they win out. Many saying Jimmer is a shoe-in for POY now. As a longtime fan, this is by far the most attention they have received in basketball in my lifetime. Good times.

because of their RPI and strength of schedule i have to imagine that if BYU wins out they'll get a 1 seed... but i wouldn't be stunned if the selection committee fucks 'em over and makes 'em a 2 or 3 seed. the selection committee tends to fuck over teams from non power conferences that way.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me either. Add the fact that the selection committee can only place BYU in 1/4 of the bracket (because of their refusal to play on Sunday) and I could see them still getting a 2, even if they win out. It depends on what the other top teams do between now and the tournament. Texas, Duke and Pitt all losing over the weekend certainly doesn't hurt BYU's chances.

i think they'll get a 1... but if they were to lose in an early round of their conference tournament they'll probably get dropped to a 3. if they lose to san diego state in the finals then they'll likely get a 2.

what a fun time of year... last week of the regular season :hi5:

and the first round (i refuse to call the 4 play in games the "first round") starts on st. patrick's day :hyper:

what a fun time of year... last week of the regular season :hi5:

and the first round (i refuse to call the 4 play in games the "first round") starts on st. patrick's day :hyper:

Agreed man, I can't wait. I'm heading to Vegas next week for the Mountain West Tournament, and may hit Denver for the 1st round games.

As a longtime fan, this is by far the most attention they have received in basketball in my lifetime. Good times.

I remember someone trying to give away tickets for free to a basketball game my freshman year at BYU, and no one would take them. They've come a long way.

:wink:

Hold up.

This dude, this college kid, got kicked off of his basketball team for having sex with his girlfriend? Get the fucking fuck outta here. That is absolute insanity. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. What an embarrassing institution and athletic program. The team has brought so much positive attention to the school this year, and then this happens. How does the department monitor this, anyway? What, do they have security cameras in every athlete's dorm room so they can see if there's any inappropriate ruffling of the bed sheets? Do they actually strap chastity belts to these kids? Or what?

What an embarrassment. I'm sorry.

Get your asses out of the 19th century. God damn.

Back
Top Bottom