College Basketball 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My bracket is busted. Picking Notre Dame as the champion seemed like a great idea at the time.

My original champion was Pitt. I know nothing about sports.

Hey, I picked Syracuse. That turned out well.

But then again, I know nothing about college basketball or the majority of the teams/divisions. Only 2 of my final 4 remain.

I went Big East heavy, which was a mistake. The refs don't let that physicality get through in the tournament the way they do in those conference games, and it's too difficult to adjust the entire style of your team in one weekend.

That is a problem...

Overall I think all major conference teams are overrated. The ACC got two teams in, and you would think hey, maybe they were underrated! Virginia Tech probably should have gotten in!

And then you go and see what VaTech did in the NIT and, oh yea, they lost in the first round to wichita state.

That is a problem...

Overall I think all major conference teams are overrated. The ACC got two teams in, and you would think hey, maybe they were underrated! Virginia Tech probably should have gotten in!

And then you go and see what VaTech did in the NIT and, oh yea, they lost in the first round to wichita state.

It was worse back when the Big East went to 6 fouls, remember that? Guys were writing out their wills before they went in the paint against Georgetown.

VaTech kind of got screwed 2 years in a row (in their eye at least), I didn't see thier NIT game but I'm not sure their heart was in it.

And clearly VCU didn't deserve to get in...

the problem is the way colleges recruit kids is fundamentally flawed. our entire grassroots system stinks. kids today have more individual and athletic skill and ability than ever before... problem is very few actually know how to use that in a team setting because they've been brought up in a culture where AAU is more important than school ball.

but those are the kids who get "ranked" and rated... and colleges are sooooo stoked on being able to say that they had a great recruiting class, based on the number of ranked players they get, and they completely miss out on kids who actually know how to play. these kids go to the mid-majors and below.

so it plays out pretty much like this... the elite basketball powerhouses get the best of the best... the no-brainer, i don't need to scout this kid 80 times to tell how good he is kids. they always have, they always will. these are the kids who are ranked 1 & 2 in their class. they almost always go to a select group of 7 or 8 schools. the occasional kid will stay close to home (your blake griffins), but the majority go to the same old powerhouses... duke, carolina, kansas, uconn, michigan state, florida, ucla and where ever john calipari is handing out bags of money.

then you have the rest of the power conference teams fighting over the rest of the "top 100" ranked kids... how some of these kids got on the list, i have no idea. but if you're on the list, someone will recruit you. if you're not, nobody will. these are your "other" teams in the power/BCS conference schools.

then you have the mid-majors. the smart schools recruit to fit their style, and hope that they'll get a steal here and there from a local kid who goes under recruited for whatever reason. if they do a good enough job recruiting, building and developing, they can eventually move their program into that gray area between the high-mid-major and the power conference teams... where they still can't get the cream of the crop kids that the unc's and duke's of the world stockpile, but they can certainly steal kids away from the next level of kids that would normally only consider the power conference schools. these are your butlers, gonzagas, xaviers, etc.

the stupid mid-major schools throw shit a the wall and hope it sticks, grab flash in the pan kids who had a nice run at the peach jam or iS8 and hope he turns into a stud. they usually just blow. see fordham.

so now you look at the tournament field of 16, and who do we have left?
Ohio State, Kentucky, Marquette, UNC, Duke, Arizona, UConn, San Diego State, Kansas, Richmond, VCU, FSU, Butler, Wisconsin, BYU, Florida.

we've got 6 of the elite programs still alive & 5 mid-majors.

the other 5... ohio state, marquette, arizona, florida state, wisconsin... ohio state is nearing that elite status thanks to a nice run of success over the past 10 years combined with oodles and oodles of money for their athletic department... arizona used to be one of the elite schools when lute olsen was there and still have a good rep... florida state has a ton of cash... wisconsin has a terrific coach who gets a lot out of a little... marquette's built themselves up a nice rep since they had diane wade.

but the 5 mid-major schools... butler, byu, san diego state, richmond, vcu... all programs loaded with under recruited kids. jimmer is the poster child for the under recruited. not a single big east school seriously recruited him. syracuse had a small flirting with him, but that's it. nobody else even said hello. he just wasn't athletic enough to play at that level. he'd make a nice low major player, but in reality he's probably a high D3 player. bullshit... i saw that kid play. he could flat fill it up from anywhere on the court.

there's a kid who was a senior at holy cross high school in the queens this year who was at the top of the city catholic league in scoring, first team all conference, can flat fill it up. not one single offer from any of the top area schools. nada. zilch. hofstra hasn't even offered him. apparently he can't play at that level. put up huge numbers against the kids who were recruited, but he can't play. he's not "athletic" or "long" enough.

pisses me off.

The Big East is its own worst enemy, the teams beat the sh*t out of each other thru February and into the Big East tourney, and it hurts them in the NCAA tourney.

the problem is the way colleges recruit kids is fundamentally flawed. our entire grassroots system stinks. kids today have more individual and athletic skill and ability than ever before... problem is very few actually know how to use that in a team setting because they've been brought up in a culture where AAU is more important than school ball.

but those are the kids who get "ranked" and rated... and colleges are sooooo stoked on being able to say that they had a great recruiting class, based on the number of ranked players they get, and they completely miss out on kids who actually know how to play. these kids go to the mid-majors and below.

so it plays out pretty much like this... the elite basketball powerhouses get the best of the best... the no-brainer, i don't need to scout this kid 80 times to tell how good he is kids. they always have, they always will. these are the kids who are ranked 1 & 2 in their class. they almost always go to a select group of 7 or 8 schools. the occasional kid will stay close to home (your blake griffins), but the majority go to the same old powerhouses... duke, carolina, kansas, uconn, michigan state, florida, ucla and where ever john calipari is handing out bags of money.

then you have the rest of the power conference teams fighting over the rest of the "top 100" ranked kids... how some of these kids got on the list, i have no idea. but if you're on the list, someone will recruit you. if you're not, nobody will. these are your "other" teams in the power/BCS conference schools.

then you have the mid-majors. the smart schools recruit to fit their style, and hope that they'll get a steal here and there from a local kid who goes under recruited for whatever reason. if they do a good enough job recruiting, building and developing, they can eventually move their program into that gray area between the high-mid-major and the power conference teams... where they still can't get the cream of the crop kids that the unc's and duke's of the world stockpile, but they can certainly steal kids away from the next level of kids that would normally only consider the power conference schools. these are your butlers, gonzagas, xaviers, etc.

the stupid mid-major schools throw shit a the wall and hope it sticks, grab flash in the pan kids who had a nice run at the peach jam or iS8 and hope he turns into a stud. they usually just blow. see fordham.

so now you look at the tournament field of 16, and who do we have left?
Ohio State, Kentucky, Marquette, UNC, Duke, Arizona, UConn, San Diego State, Kansas, Richmond, VCU, FSU, Butler, Wisconsin, BYU, Florida.

we've got 6 of the elite programs still alive & 5 mid-majors.

the other 5... ohio state, marquette, arizona, florida state, wisconsin... ohio state is nearing that elite status thanks to a nice run of success over the past 10 years combined with oodles and oodles of money for their athletic department... arizona used to be one of the elite schools when lute olsen was there and still have a good rep... florida state has a ton of cash... wisconsin has a terrific coach who gets a lot out of a little... marquette's built themselves up a nice rep since they had diane wade.

but the 5 mid-major schools... butler, byu, san diego state, richmond, vcu... all programs loaded with under recruited kids. jimmer is the poster child for the under recruited. not a single big east school seriously recruited him. syracuse had a small flirting with him, but that's it. nobody else even said hello. he just wasn't athletic enough to play at that level. he'd make a nice low major player, but in reality he's probably a high D3 player. bullshit... i saw that kid play. he could flat fill it up from anywhere on the court.

there's a kid who was a senior at holy cross high school in the queens this year who was at the top of the city catholic league in scoring, first team all conference, can flat fill it up. not one single offer from any of the top area schools. nada. zilch. hofstra hasn't even offered him. apparently he can't play at that level. put up huge numbers against the kids who were recruited, but he can't play. he's not "athletic" or "long" enough.

pisses me off.
As a constant observer of Philly Catholic League ball and the recruiting that goes on there ... this is a very good summary of what's going on.

It's amazing how much money is beginning to go around to players, even at the high school level.

In a separate story: my younger brother is actually quite the ballplayer. Great shooter. Decent size, too. But he got buried by his high school coach for not being athletic enough. Averaged about 5 minutes a game for his senior season. Every decent coach in the area said if they had him he'd average 18 a game. But the coach at our high school just wanted AAU ball.

if it were to happen it would be the catholic/non-football schools leading the rebellion... as those schools, with the exceptions of notre dame & marquette, are often at the bottom of the big east pile. notre dame of course tries to play plays football, but they're an independent and will never join a football conference. they'd have a distinct advantage because of the cash the football TV contract brings in... but i think the other catholic schools would be much happier only having to compete with one huge football money maker as opposed to 7.

all the non BCS football playing schools, which are also the catholic schools, would form one conference, the BCS schools would form another conference.

Non BCS/Catholic Schools
DePaul
Georgetown
Marquette
Notre Dame (independent football)
Providence
St. John's
Seton Hall
Villanova

BCS Conference
Cincinnati
UConn
Louisville
Pitt
Rutgers
South Florida
Syracuse
West Virginia

TCU is joining the Big East in 2012. They're a religious school, but they aren't catholic, and they play major BCS football, so they could join the BCS conference.

How do you get the non-BCS schools to agree to that? I don't think that would work out very well for them.

the #1 money making sport for those schools is basketball, and if you look at the list, half of the non BCS schools have been non-competitive ever since the big east merger. providence, st. john's and seton hall were founding members of the big east, and the conference was founded largely because of basketball.

a lot of the presidents of thsoe schools aren't happy that they're relegated to the bottom of the barrel in the conference, and it's extremely hard to climb the ladder, especially when you're competing against teams with much bigger athletic budgets, due to their status as BCS football teams.

every summer there's rumblings about a split. each time there's a tv contract up the rumblings get louder. hasn't happened yet, but i think eventually it will. it pretty much comes down to the non-football schools not wanting to pay out to keep up with the football schools, when all they really care about is basketball.

Shannon what do you think of that 4-second call on Joseph in the dying seconds of Texas-Arizona? From every way I've played it it looks to me like he clearly calls timeout well before the 5th steamboat :lol: :huh:

bruce pearl's gonna be canned in, oh, an hour or two.

nice i beat the world wide leader by an hour :hi5:

March 21, 2011, 2:55 PM ET
Report: Tennessee fires Bruce Pearl
EmailPrintComments
Associated Press
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee has fired Bruce Pearl after a season that saw the coach charged with unethical conduct for lying to NCAA investigators during a probe into recruiting, person with knowledge of the decision said.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the university has not announced the firing.

In six seasons, the 51-year-old Pearl led the Volunteers to their first No. 1 ranking and first NCAA tournament regional finals appearance, missing out on a trip to the 2010 Final Four by a single point.

Pearl acknowledged in a tearful press conference on Sept. 10 that he had given investigators false information when asked about a cookout at his home attended by high school juniors. The NCAA has since charged the Tennessee basketball and football programs with a dozen violations.

From where I was sitting Texas got reamed by the officials late, almost a conscious decision to make things up to the Pac 10 for the way the screwed UDub earlier in the day.

yea it was a poorly kept secret.

I still don't understand what Tennessee was hoping to accomplish by waiting like this instead of firing him immediately (not that they're the only ones to do this). What are they hoping for, that Pearl wins 4-5 tournament games so they have a reason to keep him? That's probably the worst possible outcome for them.

speedracer said:
I still don't understand what Tennessee was hoping to accomplish by waiting like this instead of firing him immediately (not that they're the only ones to do this). What are they hoping for, that Pearl wins 4-5 tournament games so they have a reason to keep him? That's probably the worst possible outcome for them.

I think they were hoping that they could skate by on self imposing penalties, and once they realized that wasn't going to happen they probably figured they would ride out the season.

Poorly handled situation all around, but not surprising considering Tennessee.

Back
Top Bottom