College Basketball 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course they were fouls... do not call them. Period. Neither play would have resulted in a game changing play.

Do not make those calls.

Were they both fouls? Yes. Was either an overly aggressive and obvious foul that HAS to be called? Absolutely not.

I've seen many fouls much harder than either of those go uncalled. To have a great hard fought game end on two unnecessary foul calls from 45 feet and 95 feet is just wrong.

Swallow the whistle.

Inner El Guapo said:
Obvious fouls at the end of Pitt-Butler.
I haven't heard a credible hoops analyst disagree.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=6238938

There. There's one.

No analyst is going to kill the refs unless it's a so over the top fuck up like st johns rutgers. But those calls should never have been made.

Especially the second one... the kid missed the second free throw. Everything was okay in the world. Just let the game go to overtime and let the kids on the floor decide the outcome, not an old man in stripes.

Look... if you believe a foul is a foul if it happens with 19 minutes left or with 1.9 seconds left, then yes... two good calls. If you believe a ref should swallow the whistle on plays 90 feet from the basket as the clock is running out, then you're very angry with what happened.

And regardless... the refs DID screw up. If that was indeed a foul, howard should have been shooting three.

ESPN NCAAB In March, it can all change in a moment

There. There's one.

No analyst is going to kill the refs unless it's a so over the top fuck up like st johns rutgers. But those calls should never have been made.

Especially the second one... the kid missed the second free throw. Everything was okay in the world. Just let the game go to overtime and let the kids on the floor decide the outcome, not an old man in stripes.

Look... if you believe a foul is a foul if it happens with 19 minutes left or with 1.9 seconds left, then yes... two good calls. If you believe a ref should swallow the whistle on plays 90 feet from the basket as the clock is running out, then you're very angry with what happened.

And regardless... the refs DID screw up. If that was indeed a foul, howard should have been shooting three.

The play is 90 feet from the Butler basket. It's 4 feet from the Pitt basket. Would you still be insisting that the referees swallow the whistle if the ball had somehow popped out of Howard's hands and up near the Pitt rim?

i think that if the refs were to swallow their whistles, they may have digestive issues. i'd personally hate to pass one of those.

Just let the game go to overtime and let the kids on the floor decide the outcome, not an old man in stripes.

I have a lot of respect for your knowledge of the game, and I have to admit I am not well versed on a lot of the nuances of basketball.

That said, I have to disagree with you here. If it's a foul in the first minute then it's a foul in the last minute. To make an analogy that I am well versed in, this is one of the cultural aspects of hockey - especially in the playoffs - that I absolutely abhor. Referees officiate the game according to the score and time of the game, and a penalty in the first period is not a penalty in the third. It drives me crazy.

So, to address your quote up above, would the referees not be deciding the outcome of the game by putting their whistles away? I would say yes, so you might as well call the game consistently throughout the entire 40 minutes.

The play is 90 feet from the Butler basket. It's 4 feet from the Pitt basket. Would you still be insisting that the referees swallow the whistle if the ball had somehow popped out of Howard's hands and up near the Pitt rim?

Similarly, if the other foul at midcourt isn't called, there's a decent chance the Pitt player lands out of bounds without getting the shot off, and that would be a total disaster for the refs.

The kids on the floor- not the refs- DID decide the game, by being sucky at the end and committing stupid fouls. You can't let that go, IMO.

God damn it.

God, god damn it.

The Huskies. Down 1. 7 seconds left. Just inbound the ball. Inbound the ball!

agggggggggggadag-

For a team that has one guy who can drive and no size at all, Michigan isn't bad.

The worst part about this game is that K now knows that his best lineup contains zero Plumlees and maybe 80% of a Singler.

What a tease...first San Diego almost loses, then Duke almost loses. I guess nothing's coming easy.

True...I'm generally a pretty loyal Big East guy, but I did crack a smile at Pitt (and G'Town, and Lousiville). But I was rooting for Nova, I've had a soft spot for them since '85.

Pretty miserable fail by Texas having the ball up 2 with the shot clock off and losing in regulation.

#21 from Arizona looked like he shoved the Texas guy pretty good on the final drive though.

Just remember... VCU does not belong in the tournament.

bio_jayBilas.jpg

More espn expert analysis... two upstate new york rival players from 2007/2008 and their respective espn recruiting profiles...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/42870/mookie-jones

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/43302/jimmer-fredette

If your response to the first link was "who's mookie jones?" then your response would be correct. He's the sad, sloth from goonies looking dude in the headband who never gets off of Syracuse's bench.

Every year Florida State has a bunch of guys with 15-foot wingspans. Where does Leonard Hamilton find these guys?

Back
Top Bottom