Club Soccer Superthread (BPL, MLS, UEFA CL, etc.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobvok

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
With the MLS season gearing up for the playoffs and the BPL well underway, I thought it'd be a good time to pick up the baton from an offhand suggestion in the Barcelona thread and start a Club Football Soccer Thread.

Had my car not needed $1100 in repairs getting its radiator fans replaced a few weeks ago, I'd be at CenturyLink Field tomorrow, watching the Sounders play the Supporter's Shield leading team for the second week in a row. Flash cut to mid-May and I was despairing that this was the first true mediocre Sounders team of their MLS career, yet improbably the Sounders have reeled off an 8-1-2 record to threaten for their first SS. Clint Dempsey, surprisingly, has had nearly nil to do with it as he's been off on World Cup duty and been fending off hamstring injuries- a lot of it has been Mauro Rosales rediscovering his peak form.

Speaking of the SS, parity as it relates to La Liga was brought up a few times. I stole this from a Pravda article:

K7yqjra.png

As I type this, Arsenal has scored two goals in quick succession to go up over Swansea and secure what looks to be the Premier League lead on a night where Manchester City and Manchester United both lost. This is Man U's first ever loss to West Brom? What's going on with David Moyes?

Oh yeah, it sounded more accusatory than I meant, which was more of a genuine question. Is it a case of United standing pat while the rest of the league improved? Is the roster trying to figure out Moyes-ball?

Enough of the Prem League, it gets coverage ad nausium.

Do you guys follow the MLS at all?

Any chances of a Non-LA Galaxy title this year? I would love to see a team the likes of Seattle, Portland or of course Vancouver win. Props to that.

Credit to Villa, really enjoyed the goal from the long ball from the goalie.

It was so good to see both Man Shitty and Manure lose on the weekend! :)

So, apparently my hometown team (DC United) is playing in the US Open Cup final tonight. I guess I have to pretend to be a fan now.

In other news, Fraser Forster couldn't quite take down Barca single-handedly this time. Also, Mesut Ozil happened.

Forester is a quality keeper and has lifted Celtic out of many jams. They had a great result against Kilmarnock last weekend 5-2.

Nice pass by Sanchez to set up Cesc Fabregas for the goal.

As a lifelong Barca Supporter (Mother from Barcelona, I lived their for ten years and am related to Iniesta), I was fairly certain Celtic wouldn't be able to repeat what happened last year.

Shame about the red card to Chris Brown though. That really changed the nature of the match. Neymar is not a player I have ever really liked or ever expect to like him.

Overall, I was hoping for more goals from both clubs.

DC United, the worst team in MLS, wins the US Open Cup over Real Salt Lake, thereby pissing away one of America's chances to win the CONCACAF Champion's League no really congrats guys. You're going to do great things with that slot.

Anyway, speaking broadly of the Western Conference, that's where all the interesting teams are in MLS. Montreal and Sporting KC do manage to grab my interest in the East, but by and large I'll watch any WC game in the opposite way that a matchup like, say, Toronto-Columbus is soul-deadening. Orlando City looks like it'll be one of the next expansion teams after NYCFC, and hopefully those two teams spice things up a bit....especially since Sporting KC and Houston are likely to be realigned to the Western Conference with the expansion arrivals.

DC United, the worst team in MLS, wins the US Open Cup over Real Salt Lake, thereby pissing away one of America's chances to win the CONCACAF Champion's League no really congrats guys. You're going to do great things with that slot. Anyway, speaking broadly of the Western Conference, that's where all the interesting teams are in MLS. Montreal and Sporting KC do reedmanage to grab my interest in the East, but by and large I'll watch any WC game in the opposite way that a matchup like, say, Toronto-Columbus is soul-deadening. Orlando City looks like it'll be one of the next expansion teams after NYCFC, and hopefully those two teams spice things up a bit....especially since Sporting KC and Houston are likely to be realigned to the Western Conference with the expansion arrivals.

Agreed, I will be watching with interest over the coming year.

Levante vs Real Madrid yesterday was frustrating !

They were up 2-1 with only 5 regular minutes to play and during that time plus stoppage aloud Real Madrid to put. 2 past them to win 3-2.

Christiano Ronaldo is such a showboat as he scores and him removing his shirt to "show off" pisses me off even more. You don't see Messi doing that who scores 30 % more goals every season!

The Barcelona vs Valladolid was fun though. 4-1 to Barca and Neymar finally scores a "legitimate " goal. He should have been awarded that penalty I think. Sanchez almost had a header that would have given him his second hatrick this year. I always liked Alexis.

Next game on Oct 19th is important. If Barcelona can win over Osasuna then they will have matched the all time La Liga record for 10 straight wins that is currently held by Real Madrid.

All this sets up for Oct 26th when the "El Classico" goes down!

What a spectacular Hindenburg explosion from the Sounders. Leading the Supporter's Shield as of mid-September, followed by disappointing draws and now getting punished 5-1 and 4-1. Sigi Schmid's had a lot of success, but this is exactly the sort of result you might think when players start tuning out the head coach.

Congrats to the Vancouver Whitecaps on their first win vs. Seattle. ....grumble.....

Real Madrid could really have used a creative attacking midfielder-type against Barcelona. Where, oh where might they be able to find such a player?

Real Madrid could really have used a creative attacking midfielder-type against Barcelona. Where, oh where might they be able to find such a player?

They have 42 million pounds sitting on the bench, right beside where Ozil used to leave his water bottle.

I just came in to say that Adnan Januzaj is the best thing modem's increased their speed from 28k to 56k. The guy is fantastic to watch, and only 18.

Who'll he represent internationally I wonder? Hopefully Albania, perhaps steer them to a debut World Cup appearance.

Who'll he represent internationally I wonder? Hopefully Albania, perhaps steer them to a debut World Cup appearance.

Could be. Though if I were him I'd want to play for Belgium (or England, but I'm severely biased), as they have one of the most exciting teams around.

Terrible result on Sunday. Dropping far too many points against lesser teams, especially at the death. Our midfield is simply not good enough... and by that, I mean centre-mid. Fellaini and Cleverley are first choice right now which should terrify every United fan.

This is a problem that's existed for years, and is now a full-blown issue.

Would Ferguson be able to achieve much coming in mid-season? Maybe UEFA Cup.

Fans of the other 19 clubs in the league are watching in delight at Manure's capitulation.

Back
Top Bottom