Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost two hours from home covering country football today, and this is taking it to a new level:

40bbe12b.jpg

Shit league, and there's a bloke running around who must be at least 55, but eh.

cobl04 said:
Turns out he's the playing coach.

It's Shaun Smith!! I feel like an idiot! He's been a silver fox for years. I'll be chatting to him after the game.

He's not flying so high these days. In fact he just dropped a lace-out mark.

Fremantle are playing hopelessly, as if they don't even care. Only two goals on the board halfway through the third.

Simply circlework, really. I'm lamenting the fact that I won't get to see the GC v. Geelong game tonight, if only to see how the game looks at the new stadium.

I love how half the stadium have already left throughout the duration of the game.

It's pronounced Ji-Long? How the fuck?

Anyways, we've been watching House all night, just flipped this on right in time for halftime :doh:.

It's pronounced Ji-Long? How the fuck?

I can't even imagine how else you'd say it. I mean, I presume if you said the sentence "gee, that's long", you'd pronounce 'gee' with the soft 'g' rather than the hard 'g' of 'goat'.

There's two Es so I would pronounce it the same way I pronounce the word Gee with the E sound being long. G and J pretty much sound the same anyways, that's not the part that blew my mind.

EDIT: No, I'm sorry, I don't pronounce it Gee (Gee whiz) long, I pronounce it GuhElong (that's the easiest way I can think to spell it).

I'm kind of confused at the distinction you're making then! :lol:

Oh, wait, no, I think I get you. Yeah I guess the 'gee' part of Geelong is said quicker than the 'gee' of 'gee whiz'. I'd never really thought about that before, heh.

the way these commentators are saying it, they're pronouncing a short i, which has completely confounded me. It's not spelled Gilong....My initial reaction when faced with a double E is to pronounce it.........E.

I guess my point is that I never realized I had never heard the word spoken aloud by anyone other than Travis or myself, and definitely never by a native speaker, so I was kind of surprised I was pronouncing it soooo wrong.

The commentators pronounced it "juh-long" (with the J soft like (Jacques), and that threw me off a bit. Gee(whiz)long is probably how I will continue to pronounce it, because I'm American.

Really was only a matter of time until the Cats opened it up. Gold Coast's disposals are sloppy and seemingly without purpose. Geelong's are crisp.

About fucking time that you scored some goals, Geelong!

Charlotte's started going for the Gold Coast in the hopes of a hilarious upset result. :lol:

I'm going for Gold Coast in the faint hope that Carlton can begin their slow march to first. With Essendon's bye, fourth is secured. :up:

NM lost, I'm going to assume Port loses, and GC is probably going to be put out of their misery. It's time for Brisbane to move all the way up to 14th :happy:

EDIT: Or at least 15th.

Wow, I can't believe the Gold Coast got just ONE goal in the second half. They just totally burnt out after such a good start. And I'm disappointed Ablett and his old team-mates were such good sports, talking and joking with each other rather than giving us some entertaining dust-ups and confrontations! :wink:

Looks like Richmond vs Port could still go either way? But I'm off to bed now so I guess I'll find out in the morning ...

And heh, good to see the Lions moving up the ladder a bit!

Richmond have reverted to Poormond levels of footballing quality. Hopeless. Against arguably the worst team in the AFL no less!

He's in Melbourne on exchange for a semester and is enjoying the local culture.

Ah, splendid!

Wait, Karmichael Hunt kicked a goal? Awesome. Even though Geelong ended up crushing GC in the end, I take it was an entertaining game and provided the GC fans with much excitement.

The commentators pronounced it "juh-long" (with the J soft like (Jacques), and that threw me off a bit. Gee(whiz)long is probably how I will continue to pronounce it, because I'm American.

Really was only a matter of time until the Cats opened it up. Gold Coast's disposals are sloppy and seemingly without purpose. Geelong's are crisp.
i've always gone with jill-ong. jill as in a person's name and ong as in ong.

Watching that seriously made me happy. A simply great moment and it really did seem to feel like a 'eureka!' moment. Hope he and Folau succeed. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom