Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #586
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Fuuuuck. I fell asleep at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

All I can say is fuuuuuuck.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #587
The Male

Vlad, don't turn around.

Now.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #588
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:41 AM
Old 06-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #589
The Male

I'm so confused by the clock management...they let it run just long enough for the Cats to move up another 6 to make it 45-7. Quarter time immediately followed. Sounds like bullshit on paper, but I guess I just don't know how it works.

Now.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #590
Blue Crack Addict

I forgot that game had started. Meh.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #591
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm so confused by the clock management...they let it run just long enough for the Cats to move up another 6 to make it 45-7. Quarter time immediately followed. Sounds like bullshit on paper, but I guess I just don't know how it works.
There are two different types of time: time on and time elapsed. Each quarter is 20 minutes long. That's it. No extra or injury time, just 20 minutes of time on. But that does not allow for clock stoppages during those 20 minutes of time on; time elapsed, by contrast, counts up each quarter and shows the total time elapsed between first bounce and final siren, including stoppages. Hence quarters tend to run for around ~30 minutes of time elapsed.

Clear as mud?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #592
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
There are two different types of time: time on and time elapsed. Each quarter is 20 minutes long. That's it. No extra or injury time, just 20 minutes of time on. But that does not allow for clock stoppages during those 20 minutes of time on; time elapsed, by contrast, counts up each quarter and shows the total time elapsed between first bounce and final siren, including stoppages. Hence quarters tend to run for around ~30 minutes of time elapsed.

Clear as mud?
Thanks, Ax, I've got it now. That's a delightful summation of the nature of AFL rules right there.

Now.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #593
Vocal parasite

And I guess I better stop reading this thread for the next few hours? Carlton vs West Coast is the game on telly today here and it's being broadcast on delay.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #594
The Male

Quote:
And I guess I better stop reading this thread for the next few hours? Carlton vs West Coast is the game on telly today here and it's being broadcast on delay.
For your sake, you'd best avoid. I tend to running diary Carlton games. Been giving out a lot of highs scores to them lately, but we're due for a Brokencyde at some point. This could be the night.

Now.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #595
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
If you're referring to me destroying the thread verbally then don't worry! I'm not even watching and I'm past caring at the moment.

EDIT: Oh wait, I completely missed the point.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #596
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Thanks, Ax, I've got it now. That's a delightful summation of the nature of AFL rules right there.
I should also note that it is possible to score after the siren. Ordinarily, play stops immediately when the siren goes, so if you're running with the ball getting ready to kick a goal, too bad for you. However, if a player takes a mark BEFORE the siren goes and is lining up to take a shot on goal, then the siren goes, they are still allowed to take the shot. I believe there is even a Wikipedia entry on games decided (either won or drawn) by kicks after the siren.

As for today's game, I expect Carlton to win comfortably, but I'd love to see West Coast take it to them like Sydney took it to Collingwood last night. I'll be cheering on Bonnie's side today.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #597
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
If you're referring to me destroying the thread verbally then don't worry! I'm not even watching and I'm past caring at the moment.

EDIT: Oh wait, I completely missed the point.
Well done.

Are you just looking forward to the 15th of July, when you'll probably knock off my Bombers? I'll be sharing your pain next week - after ripping the Crows a new one today, the Cats' next game is against Essendon!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #598
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not looking forward to anything.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:40 AM   #599
The Male

Extremely even first quarter. Not that I was able to watch it...AFL.au wouldn't update for anything, so it didn't show the score until 26 minutes in.

Now.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #600
The Male

Ugly so far. We're completely outsized. Adjustments need to be made to emphasize our speed.

West Coast can't hit the broad side of a barn though. 8 behinds already?

Now.
Closed Thread