Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #496
45:33

Local Time: 11:25 AM
Some of the blame has to be levelled at Neil Craig for sure, just not all of it.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #497
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
how long has the coach been in charge? if the playing group is his selected squad, it might be right to ask some questions.
Since mid-2004, only two preliminary finals to show for it in amidst failed finals campaigns when we were in positions to win (2007 Hawthorn, 2008 Collingwood, 2009 Collingwood). The game has passed him by it seems and he keeps on picking players that continually prove that they're not up to it. There's also the problem of recruiting last year's Essendon midfield coach who has destroyed our midfield this year.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #498
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Some of the blame has to be levelled at Neil Craig for sure, just not all of it.
True. I've said this many times, I have nothing against the man and definitely not the vitriol to the level of many supporters. I don't really feel like blaming anything on injuries.

Also, I can't believe how almost everytime Tippett gets molested in the contest yet only rarely has a free kick paid to him. He'd be kicking 60+ goals a season with good delivery and non-discrimination from the umpires.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #499
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Also, I can't believe how almost everytime Tippett gets molested in the contest yet only rarely has a free kick paid to him. He'd be kicking 60+ goals a season with good delivery and non-discrimination from the umpires.
Do you REALLY think the umpires collectively have it in for him? Honestly, I think that's a pretty lazy argument. Perhaps an individual or two, but in general?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #500
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Do you REALLY think the umpires collectively have it in for him? Honestly, I think that's a pretty lazy argument. Perhaps an individual or two, but in general?
It's ridiculous, but you'd be surprised at how true this is. At the end of '09, the AFL started a crackdown on "diving", in which Tippett was one of the apparent offenders. Since then, he gets molested in every contest by two or more defenders and the umpires are very strict on him. Actually, a month or so ago the club sent the AFL a video detailing said contests and everything.

I should stop whining about my club now. Let's talk about everyone elses.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #501
Vocal parasite

Well, speaking more broadly, I'm honestly astounded at the vitriol directed towards AFL umpires. I can't fathom why anybody would want to be one in light of such hate. Cricket umpires are generally respected, and while rugby referees cop some shit, it's hardly on the same level (unless you are Wayne Barnes trying to walk the streets of New Zealand, or Stuart Dickinson trying to walk within 100m of me). Why such anger in AFL?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #502
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's because of the numerous rules and everything that goes with it in the AFL, the umpires generally have more pressure to umpire well and a thing as little as a wrong decision, going soft or hard on a player can be likely to turn the game on its head. It's a very tough job, but you just can't not let rip at them for a diabolical mistake. Last night's game is a good example, we were up by about a goal midway through the third and one of our players gets caught HTB after not really having a chance to dispose of it. He had no option but to barge through at the time. This happened 25 metres in front of goal, this surely swung the momentum big time. It's things like these.

That's how I see it.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #503
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Oh hello, I though Brisbane had a bye this week. I looked at everyone's picks and for some reason or another my eyes just weren't focusing on their name anywhere .

Well, they may as well have a bye
Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #504
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I think it's because of the numerous rules and everything that goes with it in the AFL, the umpires generally have more pressure to umpire well and a thing as little as a wrong decision, going soft or hard on a player can be likely to turn the game on its head. It's a very tough job, but you just can't not let rip at them for a diabolical mistake. Last night's game is a good example, we were up by about a goal midway through the third and one of our players gets caught HTB after not really having a chance to dispose of it. He had no option but to barge through at the time. This happened 25 metres in front of goal, this surely swung the momentum big time. It's things like these.

That's how I see it.
In a sport like AFL or rugby, though, one bad umpiring decision will very rarely actually change the result. It pretty much has to be right at the death of a painfully close game to do that. Good teams are good enough to win even if the decisions largely go against them; I've lost track of the amount of times I've seen the All Blacks win despite shitty Northern referees who want to just slow the game down (similarly but also in contrast, Wayne Barnes' howler in 2007 potentially cost us a semi-final World Cup berth, but a good enough team would have come back and won anyway). This year, that no-advantage call in Collingwood vs Geelong is really the only time I'd pay complaints that an umpire decision changed the outcome of the game; otherwise, you should be able to win anyway. Winning teams take bad decisions in their stride and bounce back.

By contrast, in cricket, pretty much any dismissal decision is going to totally change the course of the game. For example, look at teams that have just one truly remarkable batsman. If the umpire gives him out on 2 in an ODI, that's probably their game over right there. But if the umpire rules him not out and he goes on to accumulate 170, that could be a matchwinner. Yet it's very rare to see outright hate for umpires who make decisions like this; I think people respect how hard it is for cricket umpires, yet show none for AFL umpires - even though both have to make very tough calls on sometimes complicated rules. I don't get it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #505
Blue Crack Addict

Not necessarily change the result, but have an effect on the outcome, on the momentum etc.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:29 AM   #506
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2

I should stop whining about my club now. Let's talk about everyone elses.
Dustin Martin
Old 06-18-2011, 03:36 AM   #507
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Oh shit yes, nirth mfc!
Old 06-18-2011, 03:37 AM   #508
45:33

Fucking Essendon. Ruining my multi
Old 06-18-2011, 04:39 AM   #509
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Watching Before the Game for some reason (seriously, why) and half of that Patrick Dangerfield interview was practically just the cast begging for him to play for a Victorian club, putting words into his mouth. Pathetic.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:41 AM   #510
Blue Crack Addict

Poor Danger.