Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #361
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:32 PM
I swear we are! Last week we played Cook and this week Moran!

Both who've been slipping over constantly and squibbing contests.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #362
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:32 PM
Probably not the best year to be tanking.

Gee Ax, bare bones stuff there! Very interesting, though. Glad that Aussie Rules has grown on you, I have no doubt asked it before but do you think a venture into the Kiwi market is worth it?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:00 AM   #363
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, definitely not. But it just seems so plausible!

I will be hoping to see Craig resign this week. He's killing this club.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #364
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon
Soccer is popular everywhere but America. Why, you ask? Because Americans like when things happen.
But Americans do seem to like soccer. It's just not anywhere near as popular as the other sports. MLS average close to 20,000 attendances at matches, while many Americans maintain high interest in the elite European leagues.

Aussie Rules hasn't spread because I think it immediately seems a ridiculous sport to most outsiders. And it is ridiculous. But it's the complexity of the sport, the uniqueness of the playing abilities and it's unusualness that, once learned, provokes an undying resonance amongst fans. It's just that (unlike soccer) it is so hard to learn the sport without perseverance, unless you grow up in a footy culture (Victoria, SA Tassie, WA).
Old 06-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #365
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:32 PM
He was quoting Achewood, for what it's worth. I never got the impression that most Americans gave a damn about soccer through media and forums, even though I'm sure that there's a select few that are into it (a select few that's probably a fairly high number because of the country's vast population, but still "few" nonetheless).
Old 06-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #366
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:02 PM
Smaller percentage of Americans than in most other nations definitely, but that population is massive. They hosted one of the best World Cup's in '94, easily the best attended as well.

I actually attended an MLS pre-season game a few years back and got the vibe that it is the Mexican-American population who are most embracing of American soccer. The domestic soccer scene is their baby, and they are the ones pushing for it's growth.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #367
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:02 PM
Why the hell was the Roos vs Crows non-game broadcast today (seriously, dreadful footy by both sides) instead of what sounds like a very entertaining game between the Hawks and Freo? Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Soccer is popular everywhere but America. Why, you ask? Because Americans like when things happen.
Achewood quote or otherwise, I'd beg to differ, because the reason I'm so hostile to most American sports is that I perceive them as sports where nothing happens. But especially NASCAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I simply think the reason that AFL isn't more popular overseas is because of the rules, to many who hadn't been living with the game since their childhood it may just seem much too complicated with all the various interpretations of various things. It's definitely not really that straightforward as soccer..
I can see your point, though honestly, part of what attracted me initially and a lot of other people I know is just how utterly crazy it is. Sure, you've no idea WHY certain things are happening, but it's just fast and exciting and total madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Gee Ax, bare bones stuff there! Very interesting, though. Glad that Aussie Rules has grown on you, I have no doubt asked it before but do you think a venture into the Kiwi market is worth it?
I'm not even sure what compelled me to post it! But it's something that's been slowly dawning on me for the last season and a half, so I guess I had to put words down somewhere and this seemed a likely place. I never thought when I saw my first game of footy in 1997, or even when I really started paying attention for a whole season around 1999, that a sport other than rugby could become my favourite (except maybe cricket).

I'm honestly not sure if a venture into the Kiwi market is a good idea or not. I want to say "OF COURSE IT FUCKING IS!", but that's just because it'd be a dream come true to have a Wellington team to barrack for. It's a small market, and one that I think has had trouble supporting so many rugby teams, an NRL team, and an A League team. I think it could be done though, especially if the team is based in Wellington or Christchurch (avoiding an unproductive battle with the NRL for turf in Auckland, plus Wellington in particular has the ideal stadium for AFL). It would be a medium-to-long term prospect; AFL may have been somewhat popular in NZ pre-WWI, and it may be more widely known now than twenty or thirty years ago, but what we need are more demonstration/pre-season matches and especially TELEVISION COVERAGE. People won't get interested in a sport they can't watch, and it reduces the power of token matches ... or even a whole team. Just look at the Melbourne Rebels - I've heard maybe two people talk about them this season. I've no idea who the fuck is going to those games, because nobody in Melbourne can actually follow rugby on telly without Foxtel, and that immediately excludes 70% of the population.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-05-2011, 04:34 AM   #368
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Why the hell was the Roos vs Crows non-game broadcast today (seriously, dreadful footy by both sides) instead of what sounds like a very entertaining game between the Hawks and Freo? Ugh.

I can see your point, though honestly, part of what attracted me initially and a lot of other people I know is just how utterly crazy it is. Sure, you've no idea WHY certain things are happening, but it's just fast and exciting and total madness.
The network coverage of games is decided before the season, also CH7 only have the 1:40 timeslot on Sundays.

It really is mad, it still surprises me to this day. The fact that it's so fast and free flowing is what makes it better than pretty much everything in the world. The crowds are usually darn good, too.

On an unrelated note, I'm excited that 7TWO are showing Wimbledon live. Will be a treat.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:34 AM   #369
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:02 AM
For the record, I looked into it when I first started following the sport, and we've got AFL teams all over the place. Obviously not huge leagues or anything, but it is a thriving underground community, far as I can tell.

As for soccer, I adore playing the game, can't stand watching it. That being said, I have an awful lot of friends who are fans of the game. No, its not our biggest sport here, but its by no means a dead-end.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:47 AM   #370
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
For the record, I looked into it when I first started following the sport, and we've got AFL teams all over the place. Obviously not huge leagues or anything, but it is a thriving underground community, far as I can tell.

As for soccer, I adore playing the game, can't stand watching it. That being said, I have an awful lot of friends who are fans of the game. No, its not our biggest sport here, but its by no means a dead-end.
Yeah, I've heard a bit that there are a lot of thriving teams around the US. Though my experience of noting well-developed underground rugby and cricket communities is that it's not that much a guarantee of progress on a bigger level. I think a sport really needs to break out of the underground for a national team (or franchise in a mainstream tournament, or whatever) to really become successful.

And I'm mostly with you on soccer, it's fun enough to play and I'll never say no to kicking a ball around, but oh god watching soccer either live or on telly? No thanks.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #371
Blue Crack Addict

There's also that AFL "World Cup" that comes around every two years. That's always interesting.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:12 AM   #372
Blue Crack Distributor

I assume Australia always wins?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #373
Blue Crack Addict

Australia don't participate.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #374
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh good good.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #375
Vocal parasite

New Zealand has, I think, always either won it or been runner-up. If not always, then often anyway!

Gig pictures | Blog
Closed Thread