Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a personal attack on you... I really, really love the fact you and Ashley are getting into the sport.

I wish I could dive right in, but I don't think there's a web subscription thing where you can watch AFL games. ESPN3 has a couple per week (usually Collingwood, Geelong, occasionally Carlton), which is fine now that we have a PS3, but there is so much coverage I have no access to. Maybe Comcast can import me some Aussie cable so I can enjoy all of your other great programming like...uhh...

hmm. i know they're different leagues etc, but the nrl streams free live online in the usa. given both competitions have the same online rights/distributors i'm actually stunned they don't offer it for the afl.

Hawk
Richmond
Port Power
Carlton
Footscray
Fremantle
Collingwood
Geelong Katz

Port look pretty awful list-wise, and rumour has it that their best youngster, Jackson Trengrove, wants to come back to Melbourne, and Punt Road is the desired destination (why wouldn't you?)

Brisbane seem much more competitive than Gold Coast and Port Power, they should finish clear of these two.

Martin, Cotchin vs Scully, the other Trengrove ... Tomorrow at the 'G. Looking forward to it.

Not a personal attack on you... I really, really love the fact you and Ashley are getting into the sport.

I agree, converting people overseas to our game and having them love it is an awesome feeling.

Well, never mind:

AFL International Video Subscriptions - AFL.com.au

This sounds worthwhile. :hmm: Having almost half the games on delay is unfortunate, but I'm hardly alone there. Just part of watching an international sport.

Delay, schmelay, sounds very worthwhile.

Playing Western at home could give them a shot at catching Adelaide though. :wink:

I think the Bulldogs will win that, they don't really deserve to be in that part of the ladder.

Well the first minute of the Bombers game was awesome! For a minute there, I thought the final result was eerily going to be the same as the only other game I've ever seen at the MCG (134-84 to Brisbane over Collingwood, 2003 Grand Final).

Speaking of Brissie though, I'm worried the Bombers are trying to pull a 2010 Brisbane - start with a bang under a new coach who is a famous former player, then fall into a gigantic slump, losing every game possible. Right now I've basically given up on Essendon winning anything until we play Adelaide, and even that doesn't look good. We'll finish the year tenth if we're LUCKY.

Yeah but Brisbane kinda screwed their future recruiting older players and throwing away draft picks, where as Essendon are building their team on youth, it's just another bump in the road, they will get there eventually.

Really though? Melbourne, Richmond and Gold Coast have the most impressive young lists in the present. Western Bulldogs' young players don't look too bad either. There appears to be little to get especially excited about at Essendon

Bulldogs' youngsters look better than Essendon's? You must be joking! Won't be shocked if next year is even worse than this year for the Dogs.

Oh my GOD that Collingwood/Swans game was epic. Thought it was about to be a blow-out, then Collingwood seemed to do almost everything within their power to lose it. 13.21, seriously?! Some of those were just atrocious misses that even my grandmother could have converted.

Wish Sydney had been able to pull off the improbable in the end, but damn that was a good game no matter what the result.

indiancrying2.jpg

Vlad, don't turn around.

I'm so confused by the clock management...they let it run just long enough for the Cats to move up another 6 to make it 45-7. Quarter time immediately followed. Sounds like bullshit on paper, but I guess I just don't know how it works.

I'm so confused by the clock management...they let it run just long enough for the Cats to move up another 6 to make it 45-7. Quarter time immediately followed. Sounds like bullshit on paper, but I guess I just don't know how it works.

There are two different types of time: time on and time elapsed. Each quarter is 20 minutes long. That's it. No extra or injury time, just 20 minutes of time on. But that does not allow for clock stoppages during those 20 minutes of time on; time elapsed, by contrast, counts up each quarter and shows the total time elapsed between first bounce and final siren, including stoppages. Hence quarters tend to run for around ~30 minutes of time elapsed.

Clear as mud?

There are two different types of time: time on and time elapsed. Each quarter is 20 minutes long. That's it. No extra or injury time, just 20 minutes of time on. But that does not allow for clock stoppages during those 20 minutes of time on; time elapsed, by contrast, counts up each quarter and shows the total time elapsed between first bounce and final siren, including stoppages. Hence quarters tend to run for around ~30 minutes of time elapsed.

Clear as mud?

Thanks, Ax, I've got it now. That's a delightful summation of the nature of AFL rules right there.

And I guess I better stop reading this thread for the next few hours? Carlton vs West Coast is the game on telly today here and it's being broadcast on delay.

And I guess I better stop reading this thread for the next few hours? Carlton vs West Coast is the game on telly today here and it's being broadcast on delay.

For your sake, you'd best avoid. I tend to running diary Carlton games. Been giving out a lot of highs scores to them lately, but we're due for a Brokencyde at some point. This could be the night.

If you're referring to me destroying the thread verbally then don't worry! :lol: I'm not even watching and I'm past caring at the moment.

EDIT: Oh wait, I completely missed the point.

Thanks, Ax, I've got it now. That's a delightful summation of the nature of AFL rules right there.

I should also note that it is possible to score after the siren. Ordinarily, play stops immediately when the siren goes, so if you're running with the ball getting ready to kick a goal, too bad for you. However, if a player takes a mark BEFORE the siren goes and is lining up to take a shot on goal, then the siren goes, they are still allowed to take the shot. I believe there is even a Wikipedia entry on games decided (either won or drawn) by kicks after the siren.

As for today's game, I expect Carlton to win comfortably, but I'd love to see West Coast take it to them like Sydney took it to Collingwood last night. I'll be cheering on Bonnie's side today.

If you're referring to me destroying the thread verbally then don't worry! :lol: I'm not even watching and I'm past caring at the moment.

EDIT: Oh wait, I completely missed the point.

Well done. :laugh:

Are you just looking forward to the 15th of July, when you'll probably knock off my Bombers? I'll be sharing your pain next week - after ripping the Crows a new one today, the Cats' next game is against Essendon!

Extremely even first quarter. Not that I was able to watch it...AFL.au wouldn't update for anything, so it didn't show the score until 26 minutes in.

Ugly so far. We're completely outsized. Adjustments need to be made to emphasize our speed.

West Coast can't hit the broad side of a barn though. 8 behinds already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom