Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh thank god, I'm not last any more! :lol:

And at least half of those cryptic tips just go wooosh over my head.

I'm putting my resume in for Channel 7, how do you think I would go?

It all kicks off on Friday Night
When a win for the Bulldogs might actually be in sight

Provided that Ash cloud Blows away
Buddy and his Boys will have a field day
The goldie boys should stay away

Same Goes for the clash between the Bombers and Roos
This is one game hirdys boys can't afford to lose

Lions and Tigers on S'atday Night
Tigers to get up, but it shall be tight

Saints and Cats what a game that shall be
Even with Sellwood out on report (Who even knew that was legal)
The Cats will win, like that grand final against Port

Melbourne and Freo early sunday
Demons to make a mends for Queens Birthday

Carlton and Sydney no sure who'll win
Juddy doesn't care
he's got another brownlow
At this point of the season who knows how far carlton'll go

West Coast and Port to finish the round
The weagles will smash them all over the ground

So the pies they have the bye again
Just so everyone can have two weeks of footy that they can all enjoy
The pies can't win
so you can all rejoice

Um, uh, pass? (Oh fine I'll have faith in my team for once)
Hawthorn
Essendon
Richmond
Geelong
Freo
Carlton
WCE

bonnie - 7/68 - new leader new leader :panic:

17099-1.gif

boel digs v s adled cris
hawpon hocks vs god cot
edisstan vis nirth mfc
britslane vs reichmound
stok kild vits geerloin
melpin visits fermental
curlten v souldney
West Coast Eagles vs prit pow

Nice poetry there, Daniel. :lol:

Bonnie, I hope you were quite drunk when you posted those picks.

Nice poetry there, Daniel. :lol:

Bonnie, I hope you were quite drunk when you posted those picks.

Sadly not, since I don't drink on weeknights nowadays. I pretty much just wrote the dumbest names I could think of*. But I'm sure the hands of Dionysos helped provide them in the back of my mind.

*actually, I think I prefer "fermantel" and "prit pow".

I'd stop blaming the coach and start looking for some players who can go the distance and, well, get substantial results for the coach.

Yep. It's down to the players on the field, not just the man calling out the shots. The Crows have rebuilding to do over the next couple years, but I don't expect them to completely bottom out.

Put me down for a zero for that match, I had no idea who to tip anyway, still don't even though the match is over.

Carlton
Richmond
Hawkers
Geelong
the West Coast
Melbourne
Essadon

Honestly Vlad, I think it's getting pretty lazy to blame the coach. The players are clearly the problem; Adelaide started so well in the first quarter, and then just kept fading and fading. That's not the coach's fault; the players just seemed to completely lose their intensity and their way, since they were all over the Dogs in the first and some of the second quarter. What happened to the team that beat Hawthorn in the first round?!

how long has the coach been in charge? if the playing group is his selected squad, it might be right to ask some questions.

Since mid-2004, only two preliminary finals to show for it in amidst failed finals campaigns when we were in positions to win (2007 Hawthorn, 2008 Collingwood, 2009 Collingwood). The game has passed him by it seems and he keeps on picking players that continually prove that they're not up to it. There's also the problem of recruiting last year's Essendon midfield coach who has destroyed our midfield this year.

Some of the blame has to be levelled at Neil Craig for sure, just not all of it.

True. I've said this many times, I have nothing against the man and definitely not the vitriol to the level of many supporters. I don't really feel like blaming anything on injuries.

Also, I can't believe how almost everytime Tippett gets molested in the contest yet only rarely has a free kick paid to him. He'd be kicking 60+ goals a season with good delivery and non-discrimination from the umpires.

Also, I can't believe how almost everytime Tippett gets molested in the contest yet only rarely has a free kick paid to him. He'd be kicking 60+ goals a season with good delivery and non-discrimination from the umpires.

Do you REALLY think the umpires collectively have it in for him? Honestly, I think that's a pretty lazy argument. Perhaps an individual or two, but in general?

Do you REALLY think the umpires collectively have it in for him? Honestly, I think that's a pretty lazy argument. Perhaps an individual or two, but in general?

It's ridiculous, but you'd be surprised at how true this is. At the end of '09, the AFL started a crackdown on "diving", in which Tippett was one of the apparent offenders. Since then, he gets molested in every contest by two or more defenders and the umpires are very strict on him. Actually, a month or so ago the club sent the AFL a video detailing said contests and everything.

I should stop whining about my club now. Let's talk about everyone elses. :)

Well, speaking more broadly, I'm honestly astounded at the vitriol directed towards AFL umpires. I can't fathom why anybody would want to be one in light of such hate. Cricket umpires are generally respected, and while rugby referees cop some shit, it's hardly on the same level (unless you are Wayne Barnes trying to walk the streets of New Zealand, or Stuart Dickinson trying to walk within 100m of me). Why such anger in AFL?

I think it's because of the numerous rules and everything that goes with it in the AFL, the umpires generally have more pressure to umpire well and a thing as little as a wrong decision, going soft or hard on a player can be likely to turn the game on its head. It's a very tough job, but you just can't not let rip at them for a diabolical mistake. Last night's game is a good example, we were up by about a goal midway through the third and one of our players gets caught HTB after not really having a chance to dispose of it. He had no option but to barge through at the time. This happened 25 metres in front of goal, this surely swung the momentum big time. It's things like these.

That's how I see it.

Oh hello, I though Brisbane had a bye this week. I looked at everyone's picks and for some reason or another my eyes just weren't focusing on their name anywhere :doh:.

Well, they may as well have a bye :sigh:

I think it's because of the numerous rules and everything that goes with it in the AFL, the umpires generally have more pressure to umpire well and a thing as little as a wrong decision, going soft or hard on a player can be likely to turn the game on its head. It's a very tough job, but you just can't not let rip at them for a diabolical mistake. Last night's game is a good example, we were up by about a goal midway through the third and one of our players gets caught HTB after not really having a chance to dispose of it. He had no option but to barge through at the time. This happened 25 metres in front of goal, this surely swung the momentum big time. It's things like these.

That's how I see it.

In a sport like AFL or rugby, though, one bad umpiring decision will very rarely actually change the result. It pretty much has to be right at the death of a painfully close game to do that. Good teams are good enough to win even if the decisions largely go against them; I've lost track of the amount of times I've seen the All Blacks win despite shitty Northern referees who want to just slow the game down (similarly but also in contrast, Wayne Barnes' howler in 2007 potentially cost us a semi-final World Cup berth, but a good enough team would have come back and won anyway). This year, that no-advantage call in Collingwood vs Geelong is really the only time I'd pay complaints that an umpire decision changed the outcome of the game; otherwise, you should be able to win anyway. Winning teams take bad decisions in their stride and bounce back.

By contrast, in cricket, pretty much any dismissal decision is going to totally change the course of the game. For example, look at teams that have just one truly remarkable batsman. If the umpire gives him out on 2 in an ODI, that's probably their game over right there. But if the umpire rules him not out and he goes on to accumulate 170, that could be a matchwinner. Yet it's very rare to see outright hate for umpires who make decisions like this; I think people respect how hard it is for cricket umpires, yet show none for AFL umpires - even though both have to make very tough calls on sometimes complicated rules. I don't get it.

Not necessarily change the result, but have an effect on the outcome, on the momentum etc.

Watching Before the Game for some reason (seriously, why) and half of that Patrick Dangerfield interview was practically just the cast begging for him to play for a Victorian club, putting words into his mouth. Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom