Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd answer but I don't know where you got the 1:15 from in the first place.

I missed the final 10-15 minutes unfortunately cos I went out, but I watched most of it and shit it was a great game of football. If Rough did his achilles in the final that's why it went over, but I don't get why you're asking... there is no "overtime" in AFL. Whenever there's a stoppage, goal scored or injury the clock stops running.

I do hate how Channel 10's coverage counts up for the last five minutes of the final quarter and just shows actual time elapsed (not accounting for stoppages) rather than counting down from 5:00 to 0:00. Much prefer watching Channel 7 just because they keep an accurate count for the last five minutes.

Though I do still sometimes get thrown off when watching either channel because I'm used to rugby counting up. When I read, say, 17:21, I assume that is time elapsed, not time to go. I notice that in The Age's live coverage of AFL games, they count up with time elapsed, not counting stoppages.

Never want to take any games for granted, so I'm thrilled with Carlton's dominating victory over Brisbane. 19 goals, 10 behinds is fucking efficient kicking, and with Kreuzer back, hot damn. Finally passing up Hawthorn feels good too.

Next round's Sydney match poses a significant challenge, but I see no reason to fear them right now. If Carlton is worthy of a premiereship (I believe they are, although many seem to think them a little soft), we've got this.

Sydney have kicked 17 behinds thus far, with only 5 goals to show for all 22 scoring shots. Mad.

Carlton should and probably will beat Sydney next week.

Hahahahaha 5.19 now. If Sydney manages to lose this game, they should be banished from the top 8 for the rest of the season. :wink: Don't want to reflect poorly on the league now.

I had preconceptions that you were a good winner. :(

After sitting next to a Crows fan that shouted and swore the whole game and still didn't have the balls to stay right to the end, I can't help but be a little more than happy that WCE won. Not to mention the fact that for all the games I've been to, this is only the second time I've actually seen the Eagles win.

Still disappointing to see the Crows doing so bad though (it felt quite cruel for the Eagles to let them within a sniff in the 3rd quarter and then trample over them in the last), although I wouldn't entirely put the blame on Neil Craig, just as I was foolish to put the blame on Worsfold the past few years.

Also, Geelong are such an incredible side and I'll be genuinely sad when their time at the top comes to the end, whether it's next year or in a few years.

I spent about half an hour looking for a quote by a Roman commander after he surveyed the wreckage of Sparta and talked about how awesome they used to be, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I'm sure it would have basically summed up how I'm going to feel.

After sitting next to a Crows fan that shouted and swore the whole game and still didn't have the balls to stay right to the end, I can't help but be a little more than happy that WCE won. Not to mention the fact that for all the games I've been to, this is only the second time I've actually seen the Eagles win.

:lol:

LemonMelon said:
Next round's Sydney match poses a significant challenge, but I see no reason to fear them right now. If Carlton is worthy of a premiereship (I believe they are, although many seem to think them a little soft), we've got this.

you guys are playing sydney again? Geez I reckon they played about 4 weeks ago. Hate the new scheduling.

bono_man2002 said:
you guys are playing sydney again? Geez I reckon they played about 4 weeks ago. Hate the new scheduling.

Eh, it was round 6. Just been an exciting month of sports for you, I suppose. :wink:

Did they change the way they handle scheduling? Obviously, I wouldn't know if something has changed besides the usual shuffle. :lol:

Up until maybe 5 years ago the teams who played each other in rounds 1-7 would again play each other in the same order from rounds 16-22. So if that was still inplace Carlton would play Sydney again in round 21. If that makes sense.

Now it's more to do with tv ratings and revenue for the AFL.

Not sure why I tipped Melbourne either :shifty:

The Rd 1-15 (16-17 now), rinse repeat first 7 matches was a really good method and I wish we had it back.

Felt there was a slight possibility of an upset too Daniel, but the Pies are just that good.

The first quarter promised at least that Melbourne would stay in the hunt.

The remaining three quarters? Sigh. Now I'm doubly embarrassed that the Bombers lost to them.

Picks for this week:

Bulldogs vs Sorry, Vlad
Hawthorn vs Cold Goast
Essendon (fucking better) vs North
Brisbane vs Richmond
St Kilda vs Oh shit it's Geelong
Melbourne vs Freo?
Carlton vs Sydney in a close one
West Coast vs Port social footy under-11s

bonnie - 7/68 - new leader new leader :panic:
vlad - 6/67
cobl04 - 7/66
inte - 6/64
axver - 6/63
danny - 4/62 #whatintheworldpossessedyoutotipmelbourne #youidiot

Cryptic tips (ordered, for hints)
Why do you ARRRRKS
One more and he would have the all-time record
The Messiah Guarantees Us A Premiership This Year
Where Blighty had more success
Finals? :confused: :scratch:
Coffee Enemas.
That dress
I'm sure I don't need a cryptic clue for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom