2018 World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so my football-apathetic OH just says to me "who's the guy in the bright blue shirt?!"

and i say "the ref"

god give me strength :lol:

France 3 Croatia 1

omg awesome match so far!

Croatia are playing really well - intense!

i only just realised France's first goal was an own goal by Croatia bounced off a head at the free kick - team too close to the goalie!

oh shite Croatia just scored!

4-2

Best world cup ever. Plently of goals, close and unpredictable matches, top teams being dumped out early, stoppage time goals...and now this crazy-ass final. Love it!

Certainly a great tournament. Weird thing about France is they cruised through the tournament and they put up convincing tallies, but it wasn’t until all the other big dogs fell that they seemed the obvious pick. Their play was almost like “we will do the bare minimum and keep it competitive because that’s all we have to do.”

that whole tournament was amazing. best world cup i've ever seen, easily.

congrats mama cass, enjoy the victory!

thanks DaveC!!

what a great game!!

Paris and all the towns will be buzzing, but here the village is super quiet - haven't even heard a single car horn tooting yet (that's what we do for weddings and footie matches) lmfao

just popped my head outside to check - nothing - just a couple of lizards basking quietly in the sun haha

heh this one was special because it was my first World Cup supporting France officially as a French person since getting my nationality thru - feels nice!

i just found out that the 2022 world cup is going to be played starting in mid november with the final a week before christmas. that's gonna be strange.

it's taking a ridiculously long time to set up this post-game ceremony. it's a little bit absurd that croatia has to sit there on the pitch for 30+ minutes after the game and watch france celebrate.

yeah but that's how we roll with EVERYTHING in life :lol:

:applaud:

i just found out that the 2022 world cup is going to be played starting in mid november with the final a week before christmas. that's gonna be strange.

What??

That's bizarre.

Congrats to France. I was in Paris 20 years ago right after they won the first time and it was quite the party there for a while.

France really lucky in the first half: clear dive by Griezmann (he clearly learned a lot at Atletico) and I don't agree with the penalty decision either. Croatia was better in the first half so it's nearly an impossible task if you're still behind at the break. France killed it nicely in the second half with some great play by Mbappé and Pogba.

Overall, they were the best team of the World Cup, but I'm not a fan of their style to say the least.

Well, what an amazing month that was - a fabulous tournament from the outset. It had incredible drama. Going to be a bit of a comedown this next week or so.

France and Croatia were two of the best three teams of the tournament, and certainly the best Final I've ever watched over 7 World Cups I've experienced. Croatia were immense, really unlucky that some of the balls into the box didn't eventuate into something more, and I don't think it should have been a penalty against Perisic. But France were quality. Their brand of football might not be to everyone's liking, but they navigated the Knockout stage better than anyone else.

Modric a pleasing Golden Ball winner, although Hazard was probably more outstanding.

But is this the last great World Cup? Qatar 2022 is the tournament that no one wants, a hideous hosting arrangement in every respect imaginable. It's hard as a lover of the competition to justify my investment in such an awful arrangement, whether it be something as trivial as Australia not securing the rights against a country with minimal pedigree, to something as genuinely sinister as the slaves that continue to perish at the construction sites.

And then there is 2026, a hosting arrangement that successfully works to restore faith in the allocation of World Cup hosts (following Russia and Qatar), but in a horribly dysfunctional expanded format. It just spells trouble (contrived results, lower quality football, more penalty shootouts) and will be difficult to reverse.

Anyway, this tournament was so fun and satisfying. Plenty of highlights. Managed to watch about 34 matches in full which I was concerned I would fail to achieve, given the Timezone, the Optus disaster, and how busy work is this time of year.

Time to catch up on some sleep.

Last edited:
Paris and all the towns will be buzzing, but here the village is super quiet - haven't even heard a single car horn tooting yet (that's what we do for weddings and footie matches) lmfao

just popped my head outside to check - nothing - just a couple of lizards basking quietly in the sun haha

This sounds lovely; I'd like to live in a village in France. Congrats!

This sounds lovely; I'd like to live in a village in France. Congrats!

i spend most of my days snowed under working to crazy deadlines, so forget where i live most of the time until i step outside to get some vitamin D for a few moments - the peace and quiet is definitely a good antidote to a ridiculous work schedule haha!

still buzzing from the World Cup - my clients have even been talking football with me - it's hilarious haha

i do love seeing the Frenchies happy - they have had a tough few years since Charlie, so nice to have a boost...

Wow, not a single person cared to start a thread (or continue this one) for the 2022 World Cup??

I don't even like soccer and I thought I'd come look at some reactions.

Shocking.

Allez Les Bleus

Nice win for the USA. Fun tournament so far. My friends and I did a draft before it started. We had eight of us and each got to pick four teams. I have France and Croatia still standing. Basically I will win like 100 bucks if France wins the whole thing. So go France [emoji632].

Back
Top Bottom