2018 World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Indeed. Well, if Mexico wins, I’m sure that nullifies most penalties for having lost Germany on a bracket winner (as most people didnt have Mexico going past G16).
So yes, vamos Mexico.

nah, we picked the full bracket before the tournament and my champion not making the knockout round is instantly like 5000 potential points gone. i was already behind on points and others have portugal/spain/brazil as champs, i don't stand a chance of catching up to them with germany out and either france or argentina (two of my other semifinalists along with brazil) not making it past the next round.

at this rate the lady who picked every game based on which country she'd like to visit more and ended up with a switzerland-croatia final might end up being the winner of the whole thing :shrug:

What a terrific group, Group F was. So happy for South Korea and Mexico, who looked down and out 70 mins in. What an unreal half hour that unfolded.

Right now it’s looking like Mexico v. Brasil in the next round. :drool: Whoever wins that has got to be a favorite going forward.

those were two awesome games today. france looks good enough to win it all. first day of the round of 16 and there's only three people left alive in the office pool.

i'm staying the hell away from little portugal (and my coworker ricardo) for the next week or so.

Belgium and Japan played the match of the tournament so far, absolutely breathtaking contest. The first half was compelling without any goals, then the second half was a belter with no less than 5 including pearler from Vertonghan and Inui

Spoilers if you haven't seen The Americans finale:

2dl7e7.jpg

Can't decide between my deep, deep-seated hatred for Pommie cunts and the fact that it would be an emotionally incredible result for them to win.

I have a good friend from Croatia, so that's the bandwagon I've been on since Mexico went out.

Belgium v France is a going to be epic a belter. How I would have loved it to be the final.

Croatia v England, Croatia have deeper talent, so should get up but you never know.
Worried that Croatia will be a little fatigued after the QF against Russia, Versaljko, Mandzukic, Strinic looked physically troubled.

Fantastic tournament this has been, let's hope for a thrilling finale (preferably with no penalty shootouts)

I have no idea who Pommie cunts refers to.

At first I thought it was french. Then quickly switched to Belgian, for your incessant love of the pomme de terre. Pommies.

All are valid options, considering cobbles down there seems to have a deep seeded hatred for everyone.

Yeah I would have guessed either France or Belgium first figuring Pommie was some variation of either French apple or potato.
But then again with Aussie slang it could have been any of the 4 with no reasonable link to the country. Foster's logic at its finest.

pom·my or pom·mie (pŏm′ē)
n. pl. pom·mies

Australian & New Zealand Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a British person, especially a recent immigrant.

Shortening and alteration of pomegranate, Pummy Grant, alterations of Jimmy Grant, probably rhyming alteration of immigrant.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/pommie

people from Australia are weird...

Since when was "Pom" or "Pommie" defined as offensive slang? My grandfather was from Leeds and we always referred to him as a Pom. If you want to make it pejorative you're going to need to add "whinging" beforehand, or take the Cobbler "cunt" route.

Anyway, I have next to no interest in soccer but I hope Belgium or Croatia win simply because neither has won it before. Preferably Croatia.

And I will laugh for days if England make the final and find a way to completely choke it up with a few minutes to go.

Back
Top Bottom