2018 World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you mean by “dive” though? I suspect this player did know fine well he was about to get clipped. I also suspect he could have avoided it with relative ease. I imagine he ignored that possibility because he knew if he fell, he’d get a penalty kick.

But he did get contacted, and he did fall from the contact.

To me, a dive is when a player makes a motion to express a false contact or exaggerate a minimal contact. I don’t think either of those things happened here. I think the player just chose not to play on because he knew he was going to be given a freebie.

It’s bullshit and it speaks about the sport for sure. I don’t think it’s a dive though, just a clear sign that the most successful soccer players are soft as, and that’s the fault of the game.

The Australian did not win the ball. He slightly touched the ball which was still in possession of Griezmann. Then the defender locked Griezmann's leg which caused him to fall, which happens pretty easily if you're running at full speed you know. If that had not happened, Griezmann would have been able to get a shot away. Clear penalty.

Good game between Germany and Mexico going on right now. Germany can't seem to find that equalizer. Will be a great win for Mexico if they can hold on for another 25 minutes!

Mexico were fantastic in that first half. Best performance of the tournament so far.

am i the only one who finds it slightly suspect that the lowest ranked team before the tournament is suddenly demolishing its opponents in the world cup finals that's being held on its home soil, and oh yea it also happens to be the same country that was responsible for the largest sports cheating scandal of this decade?

I mean it’s a good story and it makes sense, but Russia was the “lowest ranked team” in FIFA rankings that are power rankings on crack. They also played two absolutely awful teams that were victims of said cracked out power ranking (Egypt is a one man army).

Russia is typically a lot better than they were heading into the Cup. Now, with home field... one should expect them to clear group play, and maybe past Go16 before getting eliminated by a serious contender.

i would be 100% fine with giving them the benefit of the doubt if it wasn't for this:

it also happens to be the same country that was responsible for the largest sports cheating scandal of this decade

as a pro cycling fan, i've learned that the "fool me once..." quote is pretty apt.

that's what i'm getting at. i don't think the team is doping but i wouldn't be shocked if some rubles were changing hands behind closed doors.

Last edited:
I still doubt it. In 11 attempts to qualify, KSA has posted: DNQ DNQ -5 -12 -5 -1 DNQ DNQ DNQ DNQ. That’s notably insanely awful for the times they did qualify.

In the same timeframe, Egypt has managed: DNQ DNQ DNQ DNQ DNQ DNQ -1 DNQ DNQ DNQ

Russia: -1 DNQ DNQ 0 DNQ 1 (USSR) 0 7 3 DNQ

What you’ll find if you also look at their Euro record is a bunch more +\- 1 records. Russia is and historically has been a fringe team in a highly competitive confederation. They’ve played two teams that don’t scratch the surface and genuinely suck and only qualified because of the system... and they played them on their home fields.

It was by far the worst group. It’s not a coincidence either. Russia, the “lowest ranked team” was put in the #1 of 4 pot for being home team. They got to pick first.

I dunno. If they controversially beat a team that doesn’t suck, I’ll maybe jump on board.

I missed the score of the USA game today? Did we win 100-0 like twitter told me?

so a pretty hilarious clusterfuck regarding TV over here.

SBS, a small TV station funded by the Government (and one of six free-to-air channels) has televised the World Cup, every game, for like three decades.

this time around, they sold the rights to the World Cup to a telco company (Optus, second biggest in the country) for the rights to show one EPL game a week.

so the WC comes, and on the first day, Optus, which is showing the games through its only avenues (app), completely shit the bed and, underestimated the demand (how could they possibly have known that people would want to watch the biggest sporting event in the world that only comes once every four years) and people couldn't stream the games.

they've been trying to fix it and have now just given up and given the rights back to SBS :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if the draw was fixed. Platini even said that they've made sure the home team had an easy group in the past. It's also funny that even with that easy group, Russia plays the worst team first (always an advantage) and it's an islamic country on top of that during the ramadan.

Anyway, they'll probably still go out in the next round against Spain or Portugal.

Final point, they were the lowest ranked team on FIFA but that's not an accurate reflection. As hosts, they did not have to qualify, i.e. they did not have to play any official games. In the FIFA ranking system, you get less points for friendlies so the home nation of a tournament is usually lower than normal on the FIFA ranking. They would definitely be above the likes of KSA and Panama otherwise.

Last edited:
And almost a third right there. Argentina not exactly taking the L with grace and sportsmanship.

Been an interesting World Cup. Stunned to wake up and find Croatia beat Argentina THREE-NIL. Wow. And this is on top of Italy, Netherlands and the US all failing to qualify. Incredible.

As for my boys, last night was pretty frustrating. We fucking dominated the second half, looked so dangerous, but much like a bunch of incels, we completely lacked any sort of penetration. Daniel Arzani is breathtaking, and it was insane how much of an impact he had in just 20 minutes of game time. Looked dangerous literally every time he had the ball. I can't find a clip but there was a moment where a ball was racing towards the boundary line and he managed to stop it dead, turn around, get it past the Danish player and pass it in to create a shot on goal. It was mesmerising.

Lot of my countrymen outraged that Cahill wasn't subbed on late, particularly for Juric in the death, but he's 38 and has played barely any soccer all year. So not totally unsurprising.

Bert said it all in the press conference. We deserve to have four points right now, and the fact we've only got one is depressing.

am i the only one who finds it slightly suspect that the lowest ranked team before the tournament is suddenly demolishing its opponents in the world cup finals that's being held on its home soil, and oh yea it also happens to be the same country that was responsible for the largest sports cheating scandal of this decade?

No, because the ranking system is flawed and shouldn't really be used for insight. It penalises teams for not playing competitive fixtures - Russia hasn't played many competitive fixtures, because they didn't need to go through qualifying.

Saudi Arabia are just a mess, and the Egypt win wasn't overly convincing. They'll face a sterner test against Uruguay

It was a terrific performance last night, so impressed with Behich and Risdon who I had doubts over. Leckie is a star and Arzani sure offered the spark that Kruse was lacking.

We're not out of it. We need to hope that Denmark and France aren't collectively happy to just go through. We want them to play to win, and one way this could happen is if Iceland wins by 2 goals tonight.

Both Denmark and France will want to avoid Croatia, who are breathtaking at the moment. Argentina could be cooked in goal difference if Iceland win by a few, even if they win against Nigeria... but If I were France I'd much rather play Iceland in the R16 than Croatia

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom