2018 World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really good day today. The Switzerland Serbia match was especially fantastic. End-to-end stuff, attacking football throughout, last minute winner by Shaqiri....loved it!

As much as I love the WC, I'm glad it's held only every 4 years. My poor heart can't handle this.

these late stoppage time goals are fucking killing me in my pool :doh:
I was watching Tunesia-England with a guy who could win about 800 euros if it was a draw. Fair to say he didn't take it well when Kane scored.

The match yesterday was fantastic indeed. Commentator kept calling Shaqiri the "Messi of the Alps". It's supposed to be endearing I guess...

Lucky escape for the Germans, though Sweden probably should have received a penalty in the first half.
South Korea disappoint yet again. So uninspired and overly dependent on Son Heung Min.

Another cracking night tonight. Fuck work. Poland vs. Columbia the pick of the bunch, but if there is a winner of Senegal v Japan, they will be very happy indeed.

Awesome watching Japan and Senegal play - players shoving one another. Good hard fouls getting called. Light ones getting ignored. Very minimal and short complaints. Absolutely no diving. Players focused on playing the game how it should be played.

Wish this was the approach with the best teams. Would be more appreciable to watch.

I've been watching the matches on Telemundo. The way the commentator yelled "¡EL VAR!" at the end of the game about knocked me off the couch.

All of that was wild. Glad to see Spain and Portugal go through, though.

Debating whether to stay up past midnight to watch our game tonight.

Remaining games I'm really interested in:

Denmark vs France
Nigeria vs Argentina
Senegal vs Colombia
England vs Belgium

I still remember Senegal from the 2002 World Cup, so I'm desperately hoping they can get through. I think we need France to beat Denmark pretty comfortably. As I understand it, if we win, we go to four points, but Denmark are already on four points, and ahead by two on goal difference, so we need to either beat Peru by at least two and hope France wins, or hope we win 1-0 and France trounces Denmark. We'll see. We were very, very good against Denmark so hopefully we can do something. :/

And then England/Belgium should be the match of the tournament so far. Seems like the first time in years that England are legit, and Belgium are dope.

What on earth made you think England looked legit? Look how many was that 2 or 3 penalties? And an awkward deflection of a goal.

Gonna need something a little more rudimentary before they get a pass.

They weren't that convincing against Tunisia. And against Panama, there were 2 penalties and an arguable offside.

That said, this teams lacks the ego of previous sides - they are far more likeable and grounded. Belgium should be ok against them, but you never know.

What a cracking Group B finale this morning - shattered for Iran and Morocco, they both showed plenty in all matches. Portugal progress, unpleasantly, with Pepe and Cronaldo typically being pests. Probably one of my least liked national sides. Hopefully Russia upsets them, but it's not the most appealing R16 match up.

Australia-Peru tonight.. I feel we certainly have the capacity to win and win well.. doesn't mean we will. Relying on results in the France vs. Denmark match is a horrid situation to be in. Can we please keep Van Marwijk, at least for the Asian Cup? I really can't be arsed with Arnold as national coach

saturday is going to have suarez vs ronaldo and messi vs france. that's going to be a hell of a day.

also, holy shit olivier giroud :drool:

UnrealisticMammothBlackfootedferret-size_restricted.gif

It's funny, because a country ranked 25th in the world with 13x the population of ours and god knows how much more funding, got eliminated before the tournament started by a team ranked 91st in the world. Whereas Australia, ranked in the 40s, who changed coaches just a month or so out from the tournament, took it right up to two teams ranked in the top 15.

So I got my bottom two wisdom teeth taken out today. It feels good to look ahead to tomorrow’s matches and know that watching them is exactly what medical science would want me to do. No being productive, nothing but watching futbol for healing purposes. Especially excited for the conclusion of Group F.

It's funny, because a country ranked 25th in the world with 13x the population of ours and god knows how much more funding, got eliminated before the tournament started by a team ranked 91st in the world. Whereas Australia, ranked in the 40s, who changed coaches just a month or so out from the tournament, took it right up to two teams ranked in the top 15.

Exactly. We made it, we competed, we exited, just as another 15 teams will. I'd rather fail in the group stage of a World Cup than win the major tournament of any other sport

We play a confused brand of football at the moment, a blend between Postecoglou possession and Van Marwijk pragmatism. Both can work, but our personnel is off. We don't have a gun lone forward, simple as that. Would have been better off playing the superb Rogic in that role, and giving Luongo a run alongside Jedinak. Opportunity lost, but we must now reboot for our Asian Cup defence in January next year.

and mine too.

vamos méxico now, i guess. feels like pretty much anything could happen from here on. this tournament has been crazy.

Back
Top Bottom