2018 Winter Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Indeed. Last time I watched any olympics was when they were in Norway, which google tells me was long ago in 1994, I’m assuming the only reason was because of the Jamaican bobsled movie or because cheerios was making a big deal about it and my cereal boxes advertised the fuck out of it. I’m not big on sports or nationalism, and I’m still unclear on who’s out there as a kid thinking “man I just love sledding, I can’t wait to get really
good at it so I can do the luge every 4 years.” Plus swimming and running are boring to watch and that’s like 99% of the summer olympics that get broadcasted on tv.

I never realized pretty much everybody falls during figure skating. And I have no clue how it’s judged and I would totally be ok basing it off how well their outfits match (I only watched pairs). And speed skating is basically nascar—super boring until someone goes flying into a wall. The skiing long jump thing looks hilarious, and I’m calling it the “impression of a flying squirrel ski event.”

The whole thing where the IOC punishes Russia for their state sponsored coping program by not showing their flag, but putting all their competitors under the olympic flag is hilarious. Every time that shows up, it’s like “look it’s the Russians we don’t want to call Russians so we will call them from Russia cos it’s totally not the same thing right.” I still don’t totally understand that’s a punishment. It draws more attention to them than anything. If they just left the flag up on the rankings it would be like “oh the Russian in this event is at #4.” This way it’s like “What’s that...oh the Russians are in 4th but they fucked up so we took away their flag.”

Last edited:
Also, a Japanese pair of figure skaters skated to music from Yuri on Ice and I found that pretty funny and awesome.

I'll take this opportunity to post my favorite sports gif ever:

giphy.gif

Staying up until 2:30AM for the women's hockey final was so worth it.

I'm not sure how I feel about penalty shootouts in hockey. I loved the 4-on-4 OT, at least a second of those would be nice.

i really dislike the penalty shootout to decide medals. it makes sense for an NHL game when it's best to just wrap it up relatively quickly to avoid injury and determine a winner, but for medals and playoffs it should always just be continuous OT, like they do in the NHL playoffs, IMO.

that being said, there was no way the canadians should have won either way. they are very evenly matched most of the time, but the US was clearly the better team on the ice last night. the canadians seemed to totally run out of gas about halfway through the third period and were on the back foot for the rest of the game. the only reason the score wasn't something more like 5-2 was because our goalie played a tremendous game.

you guys can have this one, we'll keep the tradition going and take the next four and you can have the gold again in 2038 :up:

Back
Top Bottom