2018 / 2022 FIFA World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Surprised there isn't already a thread on this. It has to have been the most exciting thing happening in world sport these past 3 weeks or so.

England
Spain/Portugal
Russia
Benelux

Australia
Japan
South Korea
Qatar
USA

The announcement is to be made on 2 December (the day between the two Melbourne U2 gigs - so exciting times for me) and it's been an intense political struggle.

The bids by Japan and South Korea seem unlikely, mainly due to the relative recency of their joint hosting of the tournament back in '02.

Benelux isn't being given much chance, and this is really only attributable to the strength of the three other Europeans bids.

I'm very concerned that Qatar might snare 2022, which would be a disgrace to football. Could there be a more undeserving host, with their small area and population and lack of any credible footballing heritage. It would be a real shame, despite their harping on about sending their stadiums to underdeveloped third world nations after the tournament ends.

Australia will have the support of Blatter methinks, as he is close with Lowy and it would be a pretty strong legacy of his presidency to have brought the World Cup to each and every continent during his reign. I may be biased, but we surely deserve it, and while some will whinge about how awkward our timezone is for fans in Europe and the Americas, our matches will be pretty accessible to viewers in the burgeoning Asian markets like China, India and Japan. Surely this will offset the loss of media/advertising revenue that Qatar and the USA may bring.

The USA will host a bloody good tournament with their impressive infrastructure, yet 1994 is too recent, and they'll be in good stead to have another tilt at 2030/2034. China will almost certainly host 2026 if USA host 2022.

My wish:

2018 Russia
2022 Australia

Hoping for 2018 in Russia however I don't really care about 2022 at all.

there is a very big push here for the 2022 bid. they've signed a lot of people away from the major american sport leagues, esp. the NFL, and they've pretty much taken the failed new york 2012 committee and built upon that.

i'd say that the us bid will be by far the best bid out there, and the only way they don't get it would be merely for political reasons.

I don't know why anyone would want a country with a population under a million to host a World Cup. Ridiculous.

omg, just fucking announce it already!

i'd love if the 2018 one went to benelux just because i love the word: benelux. it's like delmarva - any word made out of three places is automatically awesome.

for 2022, i'd love either the us or australia. i'd love for america to have it just because, but then on the other hand it would be neat for australia to get one.

Benelux. :drool:

I'm sure there's many aloe vera scented tissues in that country.

Oh, that will be interesting?

The other one wasn't Benelux, it was just Belgium and the Netherlands, according to all I've read.

I hope for Australia now. :)

Hm, Qatar. :|

OH GOD. What the hell was the point in that?

Mood-killer for sure. Does this mean that Qatar will build stadiums with capacities larger than the population of the cities they are built in?

Russia and Qatar. What a joke.

Thousands of miles between venues in one of them. 50 degree heat in the other.

:huh:

russia is a cool choice. i hope that one of the longest road trips in domestic football is replicated in the world cup.

qatar can go diaf, which given the temperatures there is pretty close to happening anyway.

Back
Top Bottom