2018 / 2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
The relative popularity of the sport has little to do with why Qatar is such a bad idea. The size of the country, the fact that it averages 40 degrees centigrade in June, and the fact that they still have to build most of the stadia they need are much more relevant.
As you may have derived from the rest of my post, I wasn't exactly excited about the choice either. For those very reasons, though given their concept the temperatures may not be of that much concern in the end.

In my view it should have been down to the US or Australia, and between the two of them it should've been Australia. The reason is, while both USA and Australia are almost equal bidders, the US already held one WC whereas Australia didn't.

This summer, when the WC took place in South Africa, we had around 40°C here in Europe. And our venues don't even have cooling systems. As far as I know, such temperatures are not unknown to many parts of the US during that time.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
As you may have derived from the rest of my post, I wasn't exactly excited about the choice either. For those very reasons, though given their concept the temperatures may not be of that much concern in the end.

In my view it should have been down to the US or Australia, and between the two of them it should've been Australia. The reason is, while both USA and Australia are almost equal bidders, the US already held one WC whereas Australia didn't.

This summer, when the WC took place in South Africa, we had around 40°C here in Europe. And our venues don't even have cooling systems. As far as I know, such temperatures are not unknown to many parts of the US during that time.
Australia would be a perfectly reasonable choice. I'd have considered attending if that were the location.

Qatar, however, is basically waving their hands and saying that they'll magically have all the infrastructure and technology needed in 12 years. Lowering the temperature of a stadium by 20 degrees centigrade is way, way harder than they want FIFA to believe (and I honestly doubt that FIFA really believes it).

Old 12-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

No one believed in South Africa, and they made it.

I'm interested in the concept. Sure, it's not certain it will work by then. But in general, it's a very interesting concept, and very relevant for the future either. Not only for Qatar.

This summer, and also in the summer of 2006, when the World Cup stopped here in Germany, we approached mid-30s, sometimes even 40°C. There's little reason to believe that won't happen in future. The Russian city of Kazan, which also is one of the cities for the WC 2018, has experienced an extreme heat wave for two full months. In short, not only Qatar should be concerned about extreme heat and how to make such games possible despite, so should we.
If all goes well, it could mean a boost to a desirable new technology, if it fails, bring lots of water.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #64
I hate this place

Local Time: 08:18 AM
do they have to play this thing in june?

there's no way they could move it back or up a few months to avoid the super hot weather?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It would be possible if all other countries moved their leagues' seasons accordingly, plus the international cups such as Champions League, so as not to collide with the World Cup. But then they would have to hold their regular seasons in mid-summer, when the conditions are not all that different for them. In the end, especially for the south of Europe, but also many other countries, and as experienced recently even way up north, it wouldn't make much of a difference. Either it's the national team that suffers (but doesn't if AC works), or the entire league's teams.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Can we all at least be happy that Brazil is hosting the next one?
that can be done no problem.

Quote:
All the bookies had Qatar as favorites; they clearly knew something.
we should have all known.

Quote:
I cannot help but feel a little irony when Australia (whom I'd have loved to host it) and the US complain strongly about the WC going to a "non-football" country. Given, it's greater in both countries than in Qatar, but it's still more of a niche in both, their leagues don't matter a bit and the US don't even call it by its real name.
qatar has a league?

i know it's not exactly the same, but when new zealand played bahrain to qualify for 2010, it seemed like half of the bahrain team were naturalised citizens, aka ring-ins. i still can't decide if the bid was just so they'd get automatic qualification for the world cup.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
No one believed in South Africa, and they made it.

I'm interested in the concept. Sure, it's not certain it will work by then. But in general, it's a very interesting concept, and very relevant for the future either. Not only for Qatar.

This summer, and also in the summer of 2006, when the World Cup stopped here in Germany, we approached mid-30s, sometimes even 40°C. There's little reason to believe that won't happen in future. The Russian city of Kazan, which also is one of the cities for the WC 2018, has experienced an extreme heat wave for two full months. In short, not only Qatar should be concerned about extreme heat and how to make such games possible despite, so should we.
If all goes well, it could mean a boost to a desirable new technology, if it fails, bring lots of water.
The objections to South Africa were mostly social/economic, not physical.

40 is the average daily high temperature on Doha, not a once-in-a-while occurrence, and the basic thermodynamic problem of moving heat from one area to another is still really, really, really effing hard. What are they going to discover in 12 years about air conditioning that the world hasn't already discovered in the last 100?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

i can't believe those dodgy old arseholes awarded the world cup to a country that frowns on blow, hookers and booze.

maybe they all know they'll drink themselves to death in russia and wanted to leave a nasty surprise for the next lot of dodgy old arseholes who are going to take their place.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post

qatar has a league?

i know it's not exactly the same, but when new zealand played bahrain to qualify for 2010, it seemed like half of the bahrain team were naturalised citizens, aka ring-ins. i still can't decide if the bid was just so they'd get automatic qualification for the world cup.
Don't know, and don't really care. To find a little irony in something doesn't mean every detail must be a carbon copy of each other. In general, there's lots of objections to be found in giving the WC to Qatar, as opposed to countries such as the US or Australia. Still, from an European view I cannot help but feel a little bit amused, even though I of course feel inclined to agree. As I said from the beginning, I'd have preferred Australia or the US.
I think the main reason for Qatar to bid in the first place is that at the moment the countries in that region seem to be in some sort of competition for big international events, and they just want to show off and trump the neighbour country. You can see it with the F1 tracks in Bahrein and Abu Dhabi. It's just bragging and showing its neighbours "See what I can pull off!"

Quote:
The objections to South Africa were mostly social/economic, not physical.

40 is the average daily high temperature on Doha, not a once-in-a-while occurrence, and the basic thermodynamic problem of moving heat from one area to another is still really, really, really effing hard. What are they going to discover in 12 years about air conditioning that the world hasn't already discovered in the last 100?
Just look at what we discovered in high tech (cell phones, computers, solar panels, you name it) over the last twelve years.
Extremely hot summers in Europe are no longer a once-in-a-while occurrence either. Whether it be 35°C or 40°C doesn't even make that much of a difference. When we had the heat wave this summer, the only sports you could safely do was aquatic sports more or less.
I'm curious how things will pan out. I don't have the knowledge to tell whether it's realistic or not, and if it's not, then we can only hope they'll realize in time to make changes (which I doubt even more).

If it fails, at least you can be sure you won't have to endure another World Cup in that region during your lifetime.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #70
Refugee

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump
I just realized that I will be over 40 by the time Qatar holds the World Cup. That makes me sad.
I'll be 40 too. Thanks ok, I'll just get a butt implant when the Cup is in Brazil. Hopefully, it'll hold until 2022
Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #71
45:33

Local Time: 02:18 AM
Well I hope inte is ok and hasn't self-harmed in any way

Horrible decision that makes a mockery of the sport and arguably the world's biggest sporting event.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:48 AM
This is what you get when you have a poorly animated kangaroo from the mid-90's and a prime minister who couldn't even act on campaign.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I think the main reason for Qatar to bid in the first place is that at the moment the countries in that region seem to be in some sort of competition for big international events, and they just want to show off and trump the neighbour country. You can see it with the F1 tracks in Bahrein and Abu Dhabi. It's just bragging and showing its neighbours "See what I can pull off!"
so the world cup becomes a pawn in a gulf state pissing contest. it's just...fuck.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

So I was watching ESPN... they announced the two new sites as "Russia in 2018 and 'Cotter' in 2020". I wasn't paying full attention to the television, I was on my laptop. I was thinking, wtf is 'Cotter'? Then I realized... really professional journalism ESPN. Glad to know your anchors can pronounce 'Qatar'.

Anyways, interesting decision with Qatar for sure.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:26 AM   #75
45:33

Local Time: 02:18 AM
So it's going to be 50 degrees celsius, I can't consume any alcohol, I can't be affectionate with a stranger, if I'm gay I can go to jail... What is the incentive for anyone to go? Hopefully Les Murray is right when he says Qatar will fall through.