2011 Rugby World Cup thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh and here's the schedule for what will be on us tv:

Universal Sports and NBC Sports Broadcast Schedule

Date Time (ET) Match Network

September 9 3:30 a.m. LIVE Opening Ceremony Universal Sports

4:15 a.m. LIVE New Zealand vs. Tonga Universal Sports

September 11 1:00 p.m. USA vs. Ireland NBC

5:00 p.m. USA vs. Ireland Universal Sports (NBC Re-Air)

September 15 3:15 a.m. LIVE USA vs. Russia Universal Sports

8:00 p.m. USA vs. Russia Universal Sports (Re-Air)

September 23 4:15 a.m. LIVE USA vs. Australia Universal Sports

8:00 p.m. USA vs. Australia Universal Sports (Re-Air)

September 27 2:15 a.m. LIVE USA vs. Italy Universal Sports

8:00 p.m. USA vs. Italy Universal Sports (Re-Air)

October 2 3:00 p.m. New Zealand vs. Canada NBC

7:00 p.m. New Zealand vs. Canada Universal Sports (NBC Re-Air)

October 15 3:45 a.m. LIVE Semi-Final #1 Universal Sports

5:00 p.m. Semi-Final #1 Universal Sports (Re-Air)

October 16 3:45 a.m. LIVE Semi-Final #2 Universal Sports

5:00 p.m. Semi-Final #2 Universal Sports (Re-Air)

October 21 3:15 a.m. LIVE Bronze Final Universal Sports

7:00 p.m. Bronze Final Universal Sports (Re-Air)

October 23 3:00 p.m. Final NBC

8:00 p.m. Final Universal Sports (Re-Air)

universal sports is channel 625, btw :)
normally it's a pay channel but it's free for the next month or so.

KhanadaRhodes said:
look at the first team under pool a in axver's post :wink:

:doh: I read the list multiple times too. I guess I just couldn't focus on it because it was right under the header. I'm prone to doing that now and again.

I think that's the channel we watched a rebroadast of the Tonga game on, so hopefully I'll remember to check it out. We did have fun watching, despite not knowing the rules :lol:

:doh: I read the list multiple times too. I guess I just couldn't focus on it because it was right under the header. I'm prone to doing that now and again.

I think that's the channel we watched a rebroadast of the Tonga game on, so hopefully I'll remember to check it out. We did have fun watching, despite not knowing the rules :lol:
oh yeah, i hear you. i've looked at the list so many times over the past few months i basically have it memorised so i knew they were in pool a, so i knew where to look in the post. i do it all the time!

ah, yeah. my mom watched the opening ceremonies with me :)cute:) on that channel. luckily i'm pretty familiar with the rules being a rugby league fan. rugby's not as awesome but it's still fun!

My picks for the midweek and weekend action in the Cup:

Tonga vs Canada
New Zealand vs Japan (though I doubt we'll repeat our famous 1995 thrashing of them, 145-17!)
France vs Canada

Scotland vs Georgia
Argentina vs Romania
England vs Georgia
(Though I wouldn't write the Georgians off. They gave England a right fucking scare in 2003. If the Scots have a bad day, Georgia may upset them.)

Russia vs USA (though Russia almost beat the US earlier this year!)
Australia vs Ireland (but you'd damn well hope the Irish can beat them)

Samoa vs Namibia
South Africa vs Fiji
Wales vs Samoa

When I'm in New Zealand and look back across the Tasman, the Australian political scene looks like absolute hysterical madness.

When I'm in Australia and look back across the Tasman, New Zealand's attitude towards the All Blacks in the World Cup looks like absolute hysterical madness.

I love how in the space of a week, the country's gone from "WE CANNOT LOOSE!!!!!!111!1" to "WE'VE LOST TEH CUP ALREDEY!!!11 SPECTAR OV 2007!!!!1!@11!"

Oh well, I think I'd rather a country that is irrational about a sporting team rather than a country that is irrational about things that actually affect the planet and people's lives long-term.

We're also pretty irrational about certain sports teams, so you can get a two for one deal!

I hope to make it to NZ sometime. Wish I had some family there. Looks fucking great.

True, but I really don't think any Aussie sporting irrationality can even parallel New Zealand's irrationality with the All Blacks. I suppose because a lot of them aren't national, or they divide the country - e.g. any time when Collingwood makes a grand final.

Go to the South Island, rent a car, and simply drive. You'd have a blast.

omg yes the fappage over the all blacks is ridic. i think if they weren't as good as they are, your average nzer wouldn't give two shits about them.

i wear my eagles jersey on game days and that's good enough for me.

I see Romania's getting a rugby lesson from Argentina down in Invercargill today.

Well, if nothing else, the Romanians at least have a very nice and bright uniform.

Aaaaahahahahaha Australia.

Looks like they'll now have a quarter-final against South Africa. That'll be crazy.

... oh god, and whoever wins that quarter final will likely play the All Blacks in the semis.

Quite impressed Georgia were only trailing England by seven points at half-time.

... shame they ended up losing 41-10!

Too bad if you were watching it on a delay like on Ch9...poor form that the cup isnt on FTA at all. Love watching the haka :up:

Are the Kiwis a shoe-in Ax? (my interest is slightly growing)

The Channel 9 broadcast (well, on Gem) last night started live, at least. Beats waiting until 1am like during the Tri-Nations.

I don't reckon anybody's a certainty yet. Australia's looking ramshackle, especially with injuries, but if they get their best players back before the finals, anything's possible. However, their quarter-final should be against South Africa, who I suspect are hiding an ace up their sleeve and will presumably come out victorious. I'm not convinced the 'Boks are quite good enough to go all the way though. New Zealand ... god I just don't know, at times they've shown incredible potential (like last night, able to score practically any time they got close) and at others they've looked shakier than I'd expect, and the weight of expectation is massive. France, despite their loss to the All Blacks last night, remain a dark horse - especially as that was not their best starting line-up, though claims of it being a B-team are grossly exaggerated. And I suppose we all write off England at our peril, even though they play the most boring, dull rugby imaginable.

I think you mean quarter-final. :wink: England vs France really is one of those games where there is no winner. I mean, fuck the French (no I'm not bitter about the Rainbow Warrior at all), but at least they play rugby, unlike the Poms, whose playing style I would generously describe as unsporting and unimaginative trench warfare.

Somewhat related, here's a great article on why the IRB blows: IRB drops the ball, again, by ignoring its own rules

As for the All Blacks, I'm increasingly getting worried. Injuries are getting the better of us. Especially Daniel Carter. The team isn't made by one man, but his decision-making and vision is really such a key aspect of the team that I'm not sure our offence will be as potent without him. We haven't been able to play a consistent 15. Australia now have close to their best side back from injury, so whoever wins out of them or South Africa will be a HUGE challenge in the semi, assuming we knock off Argentina. We haven't had a strong enough build-up yet again, with our group proving to be disappointingly mediocre. God I just hope I'm wrong. I'm sick of watching the All Blacks fail at World Cups all the fucking time. I wish I'd been old enough to remember 1987 ...

If they knock off Ireland today, I can totally see them winning the whole thing. They should get past the winner of England vs France. Then the final? At this stage, I'm picking against the All Blacks and reckon South Africa will be the finalist from that side of the tournament. Wales lost to the 'Boks by only a point in their group stage meeting, and they have only picked up momentum since. I reckon they could do it.

If it does end up being Wales vs New Zealand in the final, that would be one fucking awesome final. Back in the 1970s, Tests between the two countries were the unofficial World Cup. I've a lot of time for the Welsh team; they're the one Northern Hemisphere team who usually play attractive rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom