2011 MLB Thread- Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it when announcers lay down the major gooch.
Twins TV guys last night going on and on about how Capps only had 2 Walks in his last 32 innings pitched. Capps then proceeds to Walk the next 2 Dodgers.
:lol: :banghead:

(Twins still pulled it out though.)

I thought it was the other way around, or rather that there was overall no difference in performance in contract years, but just that we tend to notice those who overperform more?

Baseball Prospectus did a study in 2005 claiming that the contract year existed but was pretty small on average, IIRC. Since then others have done follow-up studies suggesting that the effect is even smaller than that.

There's a study here claiming that the opposite effect is very significant, however -- on average players who sign huge contracts tend to underperform during the first year. If this effect exists, it's very reasonable to posit that the walk year effect exists, however small.

Pleasantly surprised that Worley was able to pitch as long as he did. He's had a lot of trouble getting past the fifth because he racks up high pitch counts. We need to get to the seventh every night till Madson comes back. I can't trust anyone other than Stutes or Bastardo with the three closers all on the DL.

Baseball Prospectus did a study in 2005 claiming that the contract year existed but was pretty small on average, IIRC. Since then others have done follow-up studies suggesting that the effect is even smaller than that.

There's a study here claiming that the opposite effect is very significant, however -- on average players who sign huge contracts tend to underperform during the first year. If this effect exists, it's very reasonable to posit that the walk year effect exists, however small.

Thanks, this was an interesting read. Your earlier point on off-season conditioning probably has something to do with it, given how some baseball players show up in camp (I'm looking at you, Joba).

On another note, Sergio Meat-tray must have some compromising pictures of Girardi or Cashman.

someone break up The Mets...they've turned into the 1927 Yankees.

Wait, they probably will:doh:

But so far, Verlander is laying the smack down on them today.:sad:

Dave Cameron has suggested the Mariners trade Michael Pineda to a team for a load of position player prospects. I agree with him, actually.

will that be enough to turn the marlin's season around?

they did win today

They're 2-0 since Bono said that! And they won their first series in June! And they matched their total wins in June since he said that.

Looks good to me!

Never thought I'd say this, but Jason Vargas is a fucking beast. 3 complete game shutouts in his last 6 starts. I was at tonight's. He was amazing, generating swinging strikes and walking no one. I mean, it was the Padres, but still. He did it to the Phillies a couple weeks ago, too. Also, it's his 4th 9 inning shutout performance of the year (thanks to the Mariners shitty offense). So, yeah, Seattle won that trade. Won it a lot.

First time I've ever seen a guy given a walk on ball 3. Surprised no one argued it.

I'm torn between hating Gardy, Rick Anderson or Matt Capps more this morning. Twins lead 7-0 over the Brewers and then lose it 8-7 in the top of the 9th when Capps offered up batting practice to the crew. Douche nozzle.

(But, don't pull your closer when he's clearly unprepared and gives up a couple of runs. Wait until the Brewers pull ahead. Gardy and Anderson--douche nozzles.)

Venting. Thanks.

the tourist said:
Never thought I'd say this, but Jason Vargas is a fucking beast. 3 complete game shutouts in his last 6 starts. I was at tonight's. He was amazing, generating swinging strikes and walking no one. I mean, it was the Padres, but still. He did it to the Phillies a couple weeks ago, too. Also, it's his 4th 9 inning shutout performance of the year (thanks to the Mariners shitty offense). So, yeah, Seattle won that trade. Won it a lot.

He's 6-5 with a 3.57 era. Congrats on fleecing the Mets for the second coming of sandy koufax

Derek Jeter is starting the All-Star Game.

This is why democracy doesn't work. Although this might very well be Phillies fans stuffing the ballot box.

He's 6-5 with a 3.57 era. Congrats on fleecing the Mets for the second coming of sandy koufax

Pitchers win-loss records are archaic counting stats and meaningless. The pitcher has very little control over what his offense does (or doesn't do). The fact that Vargas has thrown 4 9-inning games without allowing a run and only has 3 shutouts is further proof of this.

We also got Franklin Gutierrez, who's struggled with the bat this year due to severe stomach problems, however his UZR is 10.7 and his UZR/150 is currently sitting at 54.8--making him the best defensive CF in the game.

Anyway, how are Jeremy Reed, Sean Green, and JJ Putz doing for you?

Pitchers win-loss records are archaic counting stats and meaningless. The pitcher has very little control over what his offense does (or doesn't do). The fact that Vargas has thrown 4 9-inning games without allowing a run and only has 3 shutouts is further proof of this.

Vargas is also an flyball pitcher who is currently posting a 6.3% HR/GB ratio, which is pretty clearly unsustainable (even for Safeco). Meanwhile his strikeout rate is pretty mediocre. I wouldn't crow about him this much if he were on my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom