2011 MLB Thread- Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Second time now that the minute the game popped up for the Live Look-In and the first batter ruins the no no.

Ah well, I'll take 3 no hitter alerts in the first month of baseball, and holding onto 1st in the NL east :)

Not that it matters, because it's April, but the Marlins are not in first place.

Initially when I posted that I thought the Phils had a day off between going out west and so I figured if they'd have won it would've been both teams at 12-6. Apparently not.

Either way, of course it doesn't matter in April. But from the underdog perspective, it's important that if they want to stay relevant they stay competitive in the standings because likely there will be no catching up with the Phillies. All 162 games will be a race if you want to win the division, and if not hopefully win the WC.

I know I might upset a certain someone by writing this... because you know... it's not the least bit impressive or anything...

Ubaldo and Josh Johnson (can't call him JJ) had a column blanker going through 5, Infante just tripled and broke up one half...

Bring on the haters but Josh Johnson has started all of his games without allowing a hit in the first 3 innings.

In 4 of his 5 starts he's made it through 5 innings hitless. It's so much fun to watch (not, considering I dont get any stream feed :( )

Ha. I thought about that. Not too worried, though.

Not good to ask your 41-old closer to get four outs against the freaking Orioles in freaking April, though.

Ha. I thought about that. Not too worried, though.

Not good to ask your 41-old closer to get four outs against the freaking Orioles in freaking April, though.

Soriano being unavailable contributed to that, but, yeah, at this stage of his career I'd like to see Girardi use Mo for one inning only if possible. Logan was warmed up and ready in the bottom of the 8th with a lefty coming up, etc....

Glad they still managed a win. Jeter actually looked decent at the plate today, gee, wow.

I don't need to go back a page. I know GAF gave you some shit. That's about it, yes? Does GAF giving you shit constitute "haters" or did I miss something?

Right. So why ask the question? I got shit and I'm giving shit back.

GAF was indeed hating on Josh Johnson. And thus, a hater.

I saw the plural "haters" and was curious if someone else gave you shit some other time, because GAF = one person last time I checked. I've been gone from the site for 6 months, might have missed some other incident, one similar in nature, someone else deciding to tease you.

Hence me asking the question.

Soriano being unavailable contributed to that, but, yeah, at this stage of his career I'd like to see Girardi use Mo for one inning only if possible. Logan was warmed up and ready in the bottom of the 8th with a lefty coming up, etc....

Glad they still managed a win. Jeter actually looked decent at the plate today, gee, wow.

Yeah, I'm glad they didn't let this game slip. They have a tough stretch coming up now. Hopefully the offense will keep hot for a while, they've been pretty good so far.

Baseball Tonight just explained the WAR (wins above replacement) statistic. Oh my.

Joe Morgan must be sad.

Hopefully they will popularize FIP and wOBA!

Yeah, I'm glad they didn't let this game slip. They have a tough stretch coming up now. Hopefully the offense will keep hot for a while, they've been pretty good so far.

They're hitting HR's at a nice rate, at the very least. Be nice to see Gardner, Swisher, etc, start hitting, too. But, overall, nice start.

Baseball Tonight just explained the WAR (wins above replacement) statistic. Oh my.

Seriously? Who did they have explain, or attempt to explain???

I can just picture some 24 year old PA trying to convince a 55 year old producer that this is a good idea and they finally acquiesced to shut the kid up......

When you're on an irrelevant team to the national media like the Marlins are, players like Josh Johnson tend to be overlooked for a guy just like his competition today - Ubaldo Jimenez. And the only way to get noticed is to do exactly what he's doing right now. Exactly what Ubaldo did last season. Tons of people wouldn't even know that Johnson had led the league in ERA last season among starters. So often when you bring somebody like Johnson up, he's not as good as a guy like Ubaldo Jimenez or the sort (and the W-L stat also is an ass backwards defense to that, but that's another story). By disregarding Johnson, in my eyes, you become a hater. Just because it's the Marlins, it's a reason to discredit them as a 'real' team.

And, well, there's always the 'all 34 fans in the crowd' cracks from people like yourself that get on my nerves as well. But not really too much, considering I'm used to it by now. Shouldn't (and doesn't) affect my being a fan of both the Marlins and baseball.

Seriously? Who did they have explain, or attempt to explain???

I can just picture some 24 year old PA trying to convince a 55 year old producer that this is a good idea and they finally acquiesced to shut the kid up......

It was Karl Ravech, and he did a fine job.

LN7, I enjoy watching JJ pitch. He'd be a household name if he played in a larger market.

And, well, there's always the 'all 34 fans in the crowd' cracks from people like yourself that get on my nerves as well. But not really too much, considering I'm used to it by now. Shouldn't (and doesn't) affect my being a fan of both the Marlins and baseball.

Marlins attendance is easy to joke about, but, it's also based in fact. The crowd that night was abysmal, and that bums me out. If it had been a home Pirates or Royals game, I could have made the same joke, and probably would have.

I don't like or dislike the Marlins. I love baseball and appreciate great players, no matter where they perform. That's why I get Extra Innings every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom