2011 MLB Thread- Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Jake Arrieta, one of Baltimore's aforementioned young scrub pitchers, tonight. Looks like he has a good fastball and sinker but hangs his breaking stuff over the plate too often.

Meanwhile, Phil Hughes continues to do a spot-on impression of Jamie Moyer.

The same Jake Arrieta whose ERA was fisted by the Rangers? Fuck that guy.

What a shit game. Nolasco was his usual inconsistent self, yet once again that bastard gets lucky with a win.

And thus why he's the Marlins '#2' pitcher.

Got to see my first walk off win ever at the stadium tonight. It doesn't get much better than that in a ballpark. A-Rod has been a monster.

That said, I'm annoyed with Girardi's managing of this game. Asking Martin to bunt in the 9th with a runner on second and no outs and Gardner following him was beyond stupid. Not pinch running for Tex in the 10th could also have been costly.

I wonder who will go first in the draft: Rendon or Cole? Consensus was previously Rendon but it seems Cole is upping his ante a hell of a lot.

Mauer on 15 Day DL.
I didn't want to believe it when a lot of local people were questioning Mauer's contract given his health potential. I'm still fine with it, and how could you not have signed the local guy?

But, I wasn't a fan of trading Wilson Ramos for Capps, and I'm still not. :angry:

^ it sucks for Mauer. I wonder if they will consider moving him to a different position that can keep him healthier. Can he play at third?

I wish somebody could explain how a young pitcher like Hughes suddenly loses his stuff just like that. I know it's early and I'm still hopeful he recovers his velocity, but it's truly baffling. He started off topping at 92mph last night, which was encouraging, but by the third inning he was throwing 86mph fastballs. This is Javier Vasquez territory right there. I can't really blame how the Yankees handled him - they were careful with his innings limit last year and there were no crazy Joba rules involved.

At least Colon has been fantastic. Hopefully his arm will hold. Seeing him jog from the bullpen to the mound was hilarious, though. It must have taken him like 5 minutes and you felt like he could have a heart attack at any point.

^ it sucks for Mauer. I wonder if they will consider moving him to a different position that can keep him healthier. Can he play at third?

I think he's fine anywhere in the infield.
The big plan was to have him DH more, but like the Yanks, who needs yet another DH?

Last season Emilio Bonifacio on opening day was a play at the plate away from an in the park grand slam, I believe. Or that might've been two runners on, memory fogs me.

Got a nice game in Philly... somehow Javier Vazquez kept up with Oswalt through 5, although Javy was pulled and Oswalt was injured.

I dream of the Marlins skipping Volstad in the rotation to get to JJ to give us a chance to win on Sunday.

Unfortunately, that probably wont happen, nor would it be a good decision considering JJ was already overworked against Atlanta in his no-hit bid.

Yankee game looks like it could be called due to rain any second now. Water is bad for the Dutch Oven, no, IMPEROR?

LN7, I enjoy watching JJ pitch. He'd be a household name if he played in a larger market.

Sweaty Freddy looked good. Still, it feels.....scary.....placing so much faith in Garcia and Colon......and AJ, despite his nice start to the season.

Help me Andy Pettitte, you're my only hope.

A draft pick and an INSANE amount of $$$ to pay a set up guy. I cringed when they signed him, and it's not even like I thought he'd pitch poorly, I just thought it was a knee-jerk reaction from above Cashman to spend the Cliff Lee money.

Not to mention one of the most player-friendly contract in the business.

My only wish is that they don't have a similar knee-jerk reaction and trade half of the farm for a non-elite starter in June.

If they let Cashman do his job, they won't.

Mariano Rivera does not fuck around. If ever there was a fan-base that's been spoiled as it pertains to one position, it's Yankee fans and their closer. An entire generation of Yankee fans have no idea what it's like to almost puke as they watch their closer struggle to close games. I can remember the parade of assclowns the Yanks had between Righetti (who was no sure thing either) and Wetteland and it was no picnic. We're a lucky pack of bastards in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom