2011 MLB Thread- Part One - Page 58 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #856
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 03:10 PM
That was cool.
__________________

__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #857
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,370
Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Now that's how you collect your 3000th hit.

Now that's a way to collect me a bunch of fantasy points.
__________________

__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 07-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #858
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,061
Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
SR, Hewson, Phanan.....question for you.....

Where do you think the Rice/Lynn/Evans outfield ranks all-time? I know you're not going to be able to immediately spit out something like "7th, right behind blah blah blah", but, I'd love to hear your take on it. We were talking about the Sox at work the other day and it turned into best trio of OF's in our lifetimes, and I tossed that group out there.....I think they played together for the better part of 6 years, which isn't Whitaker/Trammel but is still pretty long for the same 3 cats.

Anyway, in my lifetime, when I think of great OF trios, I recall them, as well as:

Bell, Barfield, Moseby

Henderson, Murphy, Armas (just 3 years together)

Jones, Jones, Sheffield (2 years but pretty awesome)

Greenwell, Burks, Evans (2 years?)

Alou, Grissom, Walker (3 years, I think, including the strike shortened season where Montreal had a juggernaut) (Oh, and....Larry fucking Walker, good god)

Belle, Lofton, Ramirez (Yikes)

I'm sure I'm forgetting many from '77 or so on, but, these are the ones that leap to mind immediately. If the Yanks had a consistent LF in the 90's, Bernie, Oneill and a 3rd would have been there.....same with Griffey, Buhner, etc.....

So, anyway, yeah.
I remember the early 80's more than the 70's for my own experiences, and for a short 3-4 years, the Sox trio of Rice, Armas, and Evans was unstoppable. Armas had some great numbers those few years, and although injuries derailed his career, for that short time, he was up there with Rice and Evans.

I think your list is otherwise spot on.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #859
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,484
Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
SR, Hewson, Phanan.....question for you.....

Where do you think the Rice/Lynn/Evans outfield ranks all-time? I know you're not going to be able to immediately spit out something like "7th, right behind blah blah blah", but, I'd love to hear your take on it. We were talking about the Sox at work the other day and it turned into best trio of OF's in our lifetimes, and I tossed that group out there.....I think they played together for the better part of 6 years, which isn't Whitaker/Trammel but is still pretty long for the same 3 cats.

Anyway, in my lifetime, when I think of great OF trios, I recall them, as well as:

Bell, Barfield, Moseby

Henderson, Murphy, Armas (just 3 years together)

Jones, Jones, Sheffield (2 years but pretty awesome)

Greenwell, Burks, Evans (2 years?)

Alou, Grissom, Walker (3 years, I think, including the strike shortened season where Montreal had a juggernaut) (Oh, and....Larry fucking Walker, good god)

Belle, Lofton, Ramirez (Yikes)

I'm sure I'm forgetting many from '77 or so on, but, these are the ones that leap to mind immediately. If the Yanks had a consistent LF in the 90's, Bernie, Oneill and a 3rd would have been there.....same with Griffey, Buhner, etc.....

So, anyway, yeah.
75 was right when I started to really pay close attention to sports as a young buck (OK you can substitute an F for the B if you like), so I have pretty good recall of that outfield. Rice and Evans are still my 1 and 2 all time favorite players. Lynn's 75 season was phenomenal, not just at the plate but spectacular defense as well. Evans really didn't find himself as a hitter until after Lynn departed for the land of Brandon Wood, so the trio missed the opportunity to play together when all 3 were at the top of their games, but it was a tremendous group. No one has ever played RF in Fenway as well as Evans (him finishing his career in Baltimore is nearly as bad as Bobby Orr being a Blackhawk), Rice was a monster from 75 to 86 when his eyes started failing him. (Sox probably win the 75 series if his wrist isn't broken by a HBP).
Would have been nice to see Lynn remain in Boston and see the group play together for longer, though Lynn's numbers declined after leaving Boston.
Certainly the best trio in my lifetime for the Sox. Overall...will need a little thought.
__________________
Hewson is offline  
Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #860
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Numb1075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tarrytown, NY
Posts: 11,382
Local Time: 06:10 PM
Now that's how you improve tv ratings....b00b grabbing.
__________________
Numb1075 is offline  
Old 07-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #861
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,279
Local Time: 05:10 PM
Who's finna watch the Home Run Derby?
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline  
Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #862
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
75 was right when I started to really pay close attention to sports as a young buck (OK you can substitute an F for the B if you like), so I have pretty good recall of that outfield. Rice and Evans are still my 1 and 2 all time favorite players. Lynn's 75 season was phenomenal, not just at the plate but spectacular defense as well. Evans really didn't find himself as a hitter until after Lynn departed for the land of Brandon Wood, so the trio missed the opportunity to play together when all 3 were at the top of their games, but it was a tremendous group. No one has ever played RF in Fenway as well as Evans (him finishing his career in Baltimore is nearly as bad as Bobby Orr being a Blackhawk), Rice was a monster from 75 to 86 when his eyes started failing him. (Sox probably win the 75 series if his wrist isn't broken by a HBP).
Would have been nice to see Lynn remain in Boston and see the group play together for longer, though Lynn's numbers declined after leaving Boston.
Certainly the best trio in my lifetime for the Sox. Overall...will need a little thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I remember the early 80's more than the 70's for my own experiences, and for a short 3-4 years, the Sox trio of Rice, Armas, and Evans was unstoppable. Armas had some great numbers those few years, and although injuries derailed his career, for that short time, he was up there with Rice and Evans.

I think your list is otherwise spot on.
Thanks, guys....I obviously enjoy conversations like this one. I still feel like I'm missing some trio, just cannot put my finger on it....
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #863
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,416
Local Time: 06:10 PM
Not at all baseball related but your boy Timmy doyle came down to my camp today to talk to the kids
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #864
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 03:10 PM
You know, I barely got to know him at BTN, I don't even think he'd know my name, but would recognize me by sight...I knew a lot of the other talent a lot better, especially the football analysts because I worked with them a lot more.

Everyone loves Tim there, though, he's a crack-up. Wish I had known him a tad better. I'm sure the kids at your camp loved him....
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #865
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,416
Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words
You know, I barely got to know him at BTN, I don't even think he'd know my name, but would recognize me by sight...I knew a lot of the other talent a lot better, especially the football analysts because I worked with them a lot more.

Everyone loves Tim there, though, he's a crack-up. Wish I had known him a tad better. I'm sure the kids at your camp loved him....
He's the best. Was great with the kids. His dad, whos twice the crack up Timmy will ever be, came down and helped out too. Great time.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #866
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,279
Local Time: 05:10 PM
Who's finna watch the All-Star Game?
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #867
I hate this place
 
DRay9911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,954
Local Time: 04:10 PM
i have no idea who half these players are
__________________
DRay9911 is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #868
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,572
Local Time: 06:10 PM
Can't believe they cut Cheryl Cole from X Factor. Those bastards.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #869
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,279
Local Time: 05:10 PM
Fuckin hell, speed. You said it, man. I had kind of put it behind me, but seeing that extended commercial for it just now really fuckin bummed me out. I'm all sad about it again. Some things are just too good to be true, I guess.
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #870
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
gump's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,927
Local Time: 06:10 PM
Berkman is so slow.
__________________

__________________
gump is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com