2011 MLB Thread- Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:tsk:

While I'm glad to see the Tigers get spanked, I refrained from any gloating last weekend.

Seriously, I am digging this bare-knuckle Central D fight though.

Ha, yeah, I was just casting a line into the water to try and reel in our friend Dalton. Because I miss him so very much.

I'm with you there.

They do have both Sizemore and Choo out of the lineup right now, though. And I'm cool with that.

They're just one big bat away...

...from being 1-14 over their last 15.

And yet Headache's Mets are only a half a game closer to the division lead than the Mariners.

Anyway, great time for the pitching to fall apart--right when the hitting comes alive.

And look, Headache! Vargas is still better than most of your starters!

here's the difference... i know my team sucks.

and yes, the mets are 14 back and seattle is 14.5 back. of course, the mets would only by 8 back if they played in the AL West, but hey, who's counting.

but since you brought it up... why don't you go and compare vargas' stats to those of jonathon niese, who btw is 4 years younger than vargas. then check out dillon gee, also younger than vargas. those are two starters, both younger than vargas. and yea, we're missing johan. and r.a. dickey has a better ERA than vargas. so if mike pelfrey is most mets pitchers, then yea... vargas might be a slight step up from big pelf, who is too nuts to get out of his own way.

and that's not counting the mets minor league pitching prospects in jeruys familia, jenry mejia and matt harvey, who are all rated higher than both niese and gee... this from a franchise who's minor league system was depleted by poor management, and now has some of the smartest front office men in the game running the show and rebuilding the farm.

you guys have some good prospects to, and of course felix hernandez is one of the best pitchers in the game.

but losing out on jason vargas isn't exactly going to cause, any other mets fan, or the mets front office, to lose any sleep. he's a nice #3 starter. woooooo. what a steal.

but yea... i'm glad you're thrilled with jason vargas. maybe he can help you win a game before september.

Vargas's numbers are better than Niese's numbers are.

Vargas's numbers are comparable to Dillon Gee's numbers.

Dillon Gee's sample size in the MLB isn't large enough to give him any certainty for his numbers.

Jason Vargas's pitching has indefinitely changed since being a Met/Marlin. You need to give him a bit more credit than that.

Vargas's numbers are better than Niese's numbers are.

Vargas's numbers are comparable to Dillon Gee's numbers.

Dillon Gee's sample size in the MLB isn't large enough to give him any certainty for his numbers.

Jason Vargas's pitching has indefinitely changed since being a Met/Marlin. You need to give him a bit more credit than that.

jason vargas

6-8, 3.94 era, 84 strikeouts, 1.24 whip

jonathon niese

9-8, 3.76 era, 105 strikeouts, 1.32 whip

so niese has more wins, a lower era, more strikeouts, and a comparable whip, all while being 4 years younger.

i'm trying, again, to see how vargas has better numbers. perhaps you could explain this to me.

sample size? vargas has been a quality pitcher for a year and a half, while playing for a shitty team in a low pressure market. the rest of his career he's stunk. exactly what sample size are we talking about here?

again... jason vargas is a nice #3 pitcher... probably a #4 pitcher on a good staff. jonathon niese is the same... a nice pitcher. neither is a fucking franchise changer, certainly not worth bragging about some glorious trade victory.

honestly... are we arguing over the merits of jason vargas? who gives a crap. any other mediocre pitchers we want to discuss at length?

so niese has more wins, a lower era, more strikeouts, and a comparable whip, all while being 4 years younger.

i'm trying, again, to see how vargas has better numbers. perhaps you could explain this to me.

sample size? vargas has been a quality pitcher for a year and a half, while playing for a shitty team in a low pressure market. the rest of his career he's stunk. exactly what sample size are we talking about here?

again... jason vargas is a nice #3 pitcher... probably a #4 pitcher on a good staff. jonathon niese is the same... a nice pitcher. neither is a fucking franchise changer, certainly not worth bragging about some glorious trade victory.

honestly... are we arguing over the merits of jason vargas? who gives a crap.

You're citing irrelevant statistics. I don't know why wins are even remotely relevant. The ERA is the one that is comparable at the moment, not the WHIP. Furthermore, Vargas' WAR is higher. They've got a ton of comparable numbers, but Vargas has pitched better.

Also, youth and pitching combined mean nothing. In fact, with less of a history in the majors, the less certain your numbers end up being. Case in point - Chris Volstad. Case in point - Jason Vargas. Except Jason Vargas has been able to change. Chris Volstad has not.

The sample size in regards to Gee is the fact that you're trying to make a point of of his statistics when he doesn't even have a full season under his belt. He's a rookie. A rookie pitcher. There are hundreds of cases of rookie pitchers pitching well. It means nothing. Batters sooner or later figure the majority of them out. Again, case in point. Chris Volstad. Jason Vargas.

No doubt, Jason Vargas is a #3 pitcher, or #4 pitcher on a pretty good staff. I don't deny that.

I just don't understand why his name keeps popping up, but every time it does you insist upon trying to degrade him.

Ha, after a 2-run bomb to Teixeira in the first, Vargas just gave up an opposite field home run to Jeter of all people.

Great call by Gardy to intentionally walk Napoli when down nine runs. Nobody does it better.

I saw the Angels thump the Red Sox 20-2 at Fenway many many moons ago when Freddie Patek of all people hit 2 homers (and also doubled off the monster), these games just have a snowball effect but fortunately it still only counts as one loss.

Whenever I hear Patek's name, which is not too often, I remember him on the Royals bench in tears after losing the ALCS to the Yanks in 1976, after Chambliss' HR/chaotic run around the bases. Amazing that the Yanks and Royals hooked up in the ALCS 4 times in 5 years from '76 - '80.

001312238.jpg

I know most people mock athletes for crying, but, in this instance, I find it to be perfectly understandable. And I like when athletes truly care....

I saw that yesterday. Pretty awful news. I hope he will be alright.

So, has anyone counted the number of Mariners who have reached base against CC tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom