2011 MLB Thread- Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I turned on the game in the fourth so I missed it, but it's one of the more awful things I've heard in a long time. Crazy to think how one tiny difference in the pitch, swing, or toss could have changed things. Hopefully Hamilton doesn't take it too hard.

Suppose he could just as easily blame it on the glare from the AL Championship trophy.

A top 2 prospect just got called up for the Halos. Though I despise them as a team, I'm actually rooting for Trout in particular because I like awesome young players who will likely be better than their number 1 overall selection compatriots (poor Strasburg).

I thought the Reds were supposed to have the most pitching dept of the MLB? Not so much, it seems.

the tourist said:
"Mediocre" talent that has produced multiple WAR each year for two years. And I only brought it up because I saw an article on the sbnation about it. From the perspective of the Mets. :wave:

Again, I hope you enjoy Jason Vargas.

The giants proved if your pitching is good enough you don't need to hit. I'm sure if Seattle's pitching is as good as you say it is that we'll be seeing the mariners in the post season this year.

Cause they're so fucking good, and Jason Vargas is the second coming of Sandy Fucking Koufax.

SR, Hewson, Phanan.....question for you.....

Where do you think the Rice/Lynn/Evans outfield ranks all-time? I know you're not going to be able to immediately spit out something like "7th, right behind blah blah blah", but, I'd love to hear your take on it. We were talking about the Sox at work the other day and it turned into best trio of OF's in our lifetimes, and I tossed that group out there.....I think they played together for the better part of 6 years, which isn't Whitaker/Trammel but is still pretty long for the same 3 cats.

Anyway, in my lifetime, when I think of great OF trios, I recall them, as well as:

Bell, Barfield, Moseby

Henderson, Murphy, Armas (just 3 years together)

Jones, Jones, Sheffield (2 years but pretty awesome)

Greenwell, Burks, Evans (2 years?)

Alou, Grissom, Walker (3 years, I think, including the strike shortened season where Montreal had a juggernaut) (Oh, and....Larry fucking Walker, good god)

Belle, Lofton, Ramirez (Yikes)

I'm sure I'm forgetting many from '77 or so on, but, these are the ones that leap to mind immediately. If the Yanks had a consistent LF in the 90's, Bernie, Oneill and a 3rd would have been there.....same with Griffey, Buhner, etc.....

So, anyway, yeah.

Cause they're so fucking good, and Jason Vargas is the second coming of Sandy Fucking Koufax.

When did I ever say this? Someone's feathers sure are in a ruffle. He's a solid 3+ WAR pitcher. Add that to the ton of WAR we've gotten out of Gutierrez (the other dude we were targeting in the trade), and it's been pretty spectacular. Turning broken things (Putz, Reed) into things that are producing (Vargas, Guti).

Where do you think the Rice/Lynn/Evans outfield ranks all-time? I know you're not going to be able to immediately spit out something like "7th, right behind blah blah blah", but, I'd love to hear your take on it. We were talking about the Sox at work the other day and it turned into best trio of OF's in our lifetimes, and I tossed that group out there.....I think they played together for the better part of 6 years, which isn't Whitaker/Trammel but is still pretty long for the same 3 cats.

Anyway, in my lifetime, when I think of great OF trios, I recall them, as well as:

Bell, Barfield, Moseby

Alou, Grissom, Walker (3 years, I think, including the strike shortened season where Montreal had a juggernaut) (Oh, and....Larry fucking Walker, good god)

I'm sure I'm forgetting many from '77 or so on, but, these are the ones that leap to mind immediately. If the Yanks had a consistent LF in the 90's, Bernie, Oneill and a 3rd would have been there.....same with Griffey, Buhner, etc.....

So, anyway, yeah.

I remember the early 80's more than the 70's for my own experiences, and for a short 3-4 years, the Sox trio of Rice, Armas, and Evans was unstoppable. Armas had some great numbers those few years, and although injuries derailed his career, for that short time, he was up there with Rice and Evans.

I think your list is otherwise spot on.

Bell, Barfield, Moseby

So, anyway, yeah.

75 was right when I started to really pay close attention to sports as a young buck (OK you can substitute an F for the B if you like), so I have pretty good recall of that outfield. Rice and Evans are still my 1 and 2 all time favorite players. Lynn's 75 season was phenomenal, not just at the plate but spectacular defense as well. Evans really didn't find himself as a hitter until after Lynn departed for the land of Brandon Wood, so the trio missed the opportunity to play together when all 3 were at the top of their games, but it was a tremendous group. No one has ever played RF in Fenway as well as Evans (him finishing his career in Baltimore is nearly as bad as Bobby Orr being a Blackhawk), Rice was a monster from 75 to 86 when his eyes started failing him. (Sox probably win the 75 series if his wrist isn't broken by a HBP).
Would have been nice to see Lynn remain in Boston and see the group play together for longer, though Lynn's numbers declined after leaving Boston.
Certainly the best trio in my lifetime for the Sox. Overall...will need a little thought.

75 was right when I started to really pay close attention to sports as a young buck (OK you can substitute an F for the B if you like), so I have pretty good recall of that outfield. Rice and Evans are still my 1 and 2 all time favorite players. Lynn's 75 season was phenomenal, not just at the plate but spectacular defense as well. Evans really didn't find himself as a hitter until after Lynn departed for the land of Brandon Wood, so the trio missed the opportunity to play together when all 3 were at the top of their games, but it was a tremendous group. No one has ever played RF in Fenway as well as Evans (him finishing his career in Baltimore is nearly as bad as Bobby Orr being a Blackhawk), Rice was a monster from 75 to 86 when his eyes started failing him. (Sox probably win the 75 series if his wrist isn't broken by a HBP).
Would have been nice to see Lynn remain in Boston and see the group play together for longer, though Lynn's numbers declined after leaving Boston.
Certainly the best trio in my lifetime for the Sox. Overall...will need a little thought.

I remember the early 80's more than the 70's for my own experiences, and for a short 3-4 years, the Sox trio of Rice, Armas, and Evans was unstoppable. Armas had some great numbers those few years, and although injuries derailed his career, for that short time, he was up there with Rice and Evans.

I think your list is otherwise spot on.

Thanks, guys....I obviously enjoy conversations like this one. I still feel like I'm missing some trio, just cannot put my finger on it....

You know, I barely got to know him at BTN, I don't even think he'd know my name, but would recognize me by sight...I knew a lot of the other talent a lot better, especially the football analysts because I worked with them a lot more.

Everyone loves Tim there, though, he's a crack-up. Wish I had known him a tad better. I'm sure the kids at your camp loved him....

No spoken words said:
You know, I barely got to know him at BTN, I don't even think he'd know my name, but would recognize me by sight...I knew a lot of the other talent a lot better, especially the football analysts because I worked with them a lot more.

Everyone loves Tim there, though, he's a crack-up. Wish I had known him a tad better. I'm sure the kids at your camp loved him....

He's the best. Was great with the kids. His dad, whos twice the crack up Timmy will ever be, came down and helped out too. Great time.

Can't believe they cut Cheryl Cole from X Factor. Those bastards.

Fuckin hell, speed. You said it, man. I had kind of put it behind me, but seeing that extended commercial for it just now really fuckin bummed me out. I'm all sad about it again. Some things are just too good to be true, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom