2011 MLB Thread- Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really been his only issue this year. Keeping the pitch count lower. He's been going into the 7th and 8th innings already over 100 every time.

That's been an issue his entire career. I struggle to think of another starting pitcher as dominant who has trouble finishing games.

He doesn't have trouble finishing games at all. Well, unless you expect a pitcher to actually go all 9 innings on a regular occasion.

He often finishes games through 7, which is completely ideal allowing the 8th inning setup and the 9th inning closer. And when not in a save situation, another combination.

I just have a hard time as viewing that as an issue worth addressing. He pitches like this the entire season (granted the ERA will go up eventually) and he's a near shoo-in for the Cy Young. Even with 0 CG.

Well, yeah, but regression will happen. If his numbers are comparable to someone else, but that other pitcher has 8 complete games and JJ has 0, JJ doesn't stand a chance in hell.

And also, I'll take my ace over a setup man and closer in the 8th and 9th any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

It's not regression, it's correction. He's clearly pitching at a highly dominant level at the moment. Nobody would ever finish the season with the numbers he's at.

Nobody matched him last year, and had he not been shut down early people would've looked a bit more at him for the Cy Young, complete games or not. He led the league in ERA.

And that's ridiculous. You'd rather have a guy who's going to finish the game maybe four or five more times than Johnson but allow about one to two more runs every game. If you have an even remotely decent setup/closer unit, they wont equate to a run to two runs per two innings.

Yeah, he's pitching like Randy Johnson did with the Astros in '98. Except without being able to finish the games.

Sure he led the league in ERA. That's easier to do with less innings. Josh Hamilton still won the MVP award missing a month (which is probably what JJ missed in 2010, right?), so I guess that brings a bit of hope. But usually when people are talking about CYA, innings with a similar ERA trump slightly better ERA with only 3/4ths the innings.

Well, I'll take my ace over yours any day. Mine's younger and a Cy Young Award winner. And over the course of the season if he allows more runs per 9 innings pitched, it won't be by one or two runs. It'll be by, like .2 or something. :shrug: So yeah. Just saying maybe you should wait to see if he can complete some games before drooling over 5 inning no-hitters. Hell, I like Josh Johnson and I'd love to see him as our #2 so I'm not one of the "haters" you mentioned.

Again, the notion of not being able to finish a game is absurd. It's not as though he breaks down and loses all of his dominance in the 7th inning so they have to pull him... the only issue is keeping pitch count low so he doesn't throw his arm out. If you'd like to tie the two together, that's fine. I however feel that they're two separate things.

Also, Johnson missed about four or five starts. So he was shut down with about three weeks left in the season.

You can take your ace over mine any day (it sounds like you're from Seattle?). I'll take mine ;) And yeah, they were 6 and 7 inning no hitters, relax.

Yep. I'm a Seattlite. I've probably just been blessed with seeing two of the most dominating pitchers of their respective eras of the last twenty years. So I find it easier to pick apart pitching, I guess.

We've been blessed here in South Florida with World Series and no hitters... JJ is hands down the most dominant pitcher that the Marlins have seen since John Smoltz committed highway robbery of Kevin Brown's 1996 Cy Young award.

I might kill a human if Liriano pulls this off.

And it might be somebody in this thread.

There is a standout candidate for it.

The bad news is that due up are Brent Morel, Juan Pierre and Alexei Ramirez.

I just tuned in because of this thread, so the odds are going to plummet even further.

How about Pierre steals second and third, then sac-fly and Liriano takes a no-hitter to the 10th?

Looking at the line score alone and not the game, this isn't the most impressive no hitter I've ever seen.

congrats

it's crazy to see everyone in the stands wearing sweatshirts and jackets in the first week of may.

so glad i live in arizona

These announcers on the White Sox feed (Hawk is apparently out) sound like they're covering a funeral.

it would have been better had harrelson been there too for the final out

Yeah, Hawk had the night off.

Shit sucks. I was six years old the last time we were no-hit, and I wasn't watching that game, so this is the first time I've ever seen this happen to my favorite team. Not a great feeling. I'll be alright, though.

Liriano's stuff tonight was not what you think of when you think no-hitter. It wasn't particularly dominant. But against us right now? I think Dick Wood would have a shot at a no-no. I'm completely confident that the lineup will eventually turn it around, but right now? Yikes. Ugly, ugly shit.

Shame, too, because Edwin Jackson pitched very well tonight.

There was also a fucking HORRENDOUS missed call on my boy Beckham in the 8th. I'm sure you guys'll see it if you watch Sportscenter or whatever. He was easily safe at first. It wouldn't have been a hit, but it would have kept the inning alive. You never know.

Ugh.

I'm going to watch a bunch of episodes of Glee and drink some malt liquor to cleanse the palate. What a terrible last 24 hours of sports.

maybe the bats will warm up when the weather does. there are a lot of hitters/teams struggling with the offense

I might kill a human if Liriano pulls this off.

And it might be somebody in this thread.

There is a standout candidate for it.

:lol:

Fuck. :doh:

If it's any consolation, I didn't watch the game partially because it was Liriano pitching. I had errands to run tonight and had been planning on listening to tomorrow's game while I cleaned the garage.

Well, that's Liriano in a nutshell.
Good for him though.
I hope it snaps us out of this funk.

Wow. John Lackey really IS a complete joke pitching in the AL East.

At least he came cheap. :banghead:

Good job Edwin keeping JJ in there for too long...

finished 7. Take him out with 1 run against. Could've had the BP hold that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom