2011 MLB - Part III - World Series, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading that story. I feel really intrusive into his personal life now.

Well, unfortunately, due to his problems over say the last ten years, this has become public knowledge. I don't know the man, but I'm certainly hoping things are ok for him. At one point his wife wouldn't let him leave the house with more than 20 bucks so he didn't get into trouble. Plus, obviously, this isn't good for him financially. He's gonna be a free agent after 2012. What team is going to invest a lot of money into a guy with a history of injuries who also has serious troubles keeping his demons at bay?

Oh I follow. It was just the way this particular story was worded that made me feel dirty. The whole, hey hey look every one! Hamilton was in a bar! Aspect of it.

Wow, I'm hearing that fucking Oakland got Cespedes? That's a coup. They weren't even named as one of the teams with interest. I would have bet big money on it being the Marlins or one of the two Chicago teams.

Yoenis Cespedes. This Cuban dude who's supposed to be a very, very good natural athlete and power hitter. 26 years old. He's apparently the second coming to some scouts. He's supposed to hit like 95 home runs this year or some shit.

Really? Why?

I would have been excited if we had got him. Like I said, a lot of people are very high on him and think he has big potential.

Talk of 6 years for a guy who has never played a game in the majors in his life? We have Emilio Bonifacio and a substantial bench to fill in the 'gap'. Wouldn't want a bust of Cespedes to interrupt a Mike Stanton contract, though. Which is the main point. I wouldn't have given Cespedes over 3 years (or over $30m).

It looks as though AJ will get shipped to the Bucs. Frankly, might be the best thing for both sides.

aj-pitt.jpg

Really? Why?

I would have been excited if we had got him. Like I said, a lot of people are very high on him and think he has big potential.

If he was younger, I would have been more excited. I've read that scouts compare the Cuban league to high A-ball. And a 26 year old mashing in high A-ball isn't exactly something to do handstands for.

I'm much more interested in who signs Soler.

Sounds like Dallas McPherson to me!

Nah. But I'd be much more excited about Cespedes than Soler. I just wouldn't be excited about Cuban league players. Too many question marks, in my eyes. And they're all demanding ridiculous amounts of money for lack of evidence for their claims.

I think an exception would be someone like Aroldis Chapman. He simply has a physical tool that in all likelihood would've translated over just fine in the majors with that top speed fastball.

Two legitimately good major league players in our everyday lineup this season will be from the Cuban leagues.

Alexei Ramirez: Certified stud. Silver Slugger award winner. Smooth as fuck at shortstop.

Dayan Viciedo: Big power to all fields. Strong outfield arm. Likely consistent 25 + home run per season hitter. Nicknamed "The Tank."

Yeah, I'm fine with getting guys from Cuba.

Wow, I'm hearing that fucking Oakland got Cespedes? That's a coup. They weren't even named as one of the teams with interest. I would have bet big money on it being the Marlins or one of the two Chicago teams.

And thus the plot for Moneyball 2 was born.

Two legitimately good major league players in our everyday lineup this season will be from the Cuban leagues.

Alexei Ramirez: Certified stud. Silver Slugger award winner. Smooth as fuck at shortstop.

Dayan Viciedo: Big power to all fields. Strong outfield arm. Likely consistent 25 + home run per season hitter. Nicknamed "The Tank."

Yeah, I'm fine with getting guys from Cuba.

Alexei Ramirez: 4 years/$4.75M
Dayan Viciedo: 4 years/$6M($10M w/ bonuses)

Yoennis Cespedes: 4 years/$36M, stipulations not yet clear)

Yeah, there's a huge difference in risk.

Well, I wasn't talking about money. I was responding to what seemed like you basically writing off all young Cuban players:

I just wouldn't be excited about Cuban league players.

And then stating that someone like Chapman is the "exception." I thought that was odd, because there are two awesome young Cuban dudes not named Chapman on my favorite team. So I thought I would mention them. There you go.

We'll just have to disagree. I like Cuban players and feel they're worth signing. Maybe you don't. 'sall good.

I get what you're saying and I guess I misspoke a bit.

I was more pointing out the massive gamble, and trying to say that a guy like Aroldis is an exception because his tools were/are quite apparent.

He likely won't play very much, and is penciled in right now as the 5th outfielder. But, yeah. Funny stuff.

My favorite thing about the dude was always his name, so I'll at least have a reason to say it more this year.

I'll never forget going to opening day the very first game he played. Every one there was yelling, "Fuck You, Dome!" whenever he came to bat. That, or "Fuck You, Do Me!"

Good times.

I always liked pronouncing his first name in a very exagerrated/semi-racist Japanese accent.

"KOSUUUUUUKE!"

Like a character in some old Godzilla movie or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom