2011 MLB - Part III - World Series, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When the stats that they make show the value difference, why do I need to find some random, obscure quote? I'll let the numbers speak for themselves, thanks.

no no... you're not getting off that easy.

nobody would say it because it's a batshit crazy statement. and teams, other than the new york knicks, aren't into hiring batshit crazy people to run their organization.

no no... you're not getting off that easy.

nobody would say it because it's a batshit crazy statement. and teams, other than the new york knicks, aren't into hiring batshit crazy people to run their organization.

:rolleyes:

A closer effects less plate appearances in a full, healthy career than a position player, starting pitcher, or designated hitter, depending on how good each player performs. A healthy, great closer as compared to a healthy, great position player will at most affect 60% as many plate appearances. That means that even a good, healthy position player doesn't have to perform at the elite level to hold more career value. Therefore any of those three will hold more career value than a closer. A closer may hold more concentrated value. How is this difficult a difficult concept to understand?

the tourist said:
:rolleyes:

A closer effects less plate appearances in a full, healthy career than a position player, starting pitcher, or designated hitter, depending on how good each player performs. A healthy, great closer as compared to a healthy, great position player will at most affect 60% as many plate appearances. That means that even a good, healthy position player doesn't have to perform at the elite level to hold more career value. Therefore any of those three will hold more career value than a closer. A closer may hold more concentrated value. How is this difficult a difficult concept to understand?

Honestly, take that bullshit and shove it up your ass.

Its a simple request. Provide an incidence of a respected baseball mind who says that Edgar Martinez is more valuable than Mariano Rivera.

Not that an average DH is worth more than an average closer. THIS closer.

You can't provide an answer to this question because it doesn't exist, because only a fool would believe that Edgar Martinez is more valuable than Mariano Rivera. How hard a concept is that foe you to wrap your mind around?

Stats don't tell the whole story. If I really wanted to I could find a stat to back up whatever argument I fucking want to make. There is a human element to athletics that no stat can measure. Get that through your fucking skull.

I think Rivera's durability is the biggest thing missing from his value as captured by WAR -- it's much harder for a closer to stay healthy for 16 years than it is for a position player to do so (catchers excepted). Of course that's sort of by definition, since WAR compares the player to replacement-level players who are assumed to be widely available, but in reality no front office is ever going to do that.

daaaang as a M's fanboy I missed a chance to talk about my wetdream :(

I think Rivera's durability is the biggest thing missing from his value as captured by WAR -- it's much harder for a closer to stay healthy for 16 years than it is for a position player to do so (catchers excepted). Of course that's sort of by definition, since WAR compares the player to replacement-level players who are assumed to be widely available, but in reality no front office is ever going to do that.

I'd probably give Rivera the edge because of that durability, general performance, postseason success, and je ne sais quoi psychological stuff. But I think he gets a *good* advantage, not an overwhelming one.

Rivera, to his credit, has taken advantage of most every big opportunity that's presented itself in his life by being excellent and doing it on a team that gave him opportunities to show it, while the gap between Edgar's potential talent and displayed results is larger. But, oh well.

Fausto Carmona was way too cool of a name to be real.

Speaking of false identities, Marlins sign Juan Carlos 'Leo Nunez' Oviedo. Looking to trade him now as their BP is full.

The Indians did make a trade for Kevin slowey to help with their pitching...

...IF THAT IS HIS REAL NAME

His kid did. Kenny himself probably didn't give a shit. He was probably texting the whole time, trying to wheel and deal for some more minor league pitchers.

tumblr_llvvdtuQGm1qh0knpo1_500.jpg

So I just caught up on my sports news and I still see that Fielder doesn't have a team. Makes me wonder if it would almost be smarter for him to sign a 1 year deal with the Brewers and slug it for another year and see if a need arises next offseason.

Wishful thinking I guess.

There was a report at some point yesterday claiming that Fielder and the Nationals had agreed on an 8 year deal. That was false, apparently.

I'd be fine with that, though. Keep his fat ass in the NL. Let him keep beating the shit out of NL pitchers.

GAF, I actually thought he might go to the Cubs. I was at least hoping for it because I like the Cubs as well. I'm a rare fan of both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom