2011 MLB - Part III - World Series, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people confuse Jeffrey Loria and Jeffrey Lurie?
2 owners of pro sports franchises should not be allowed to have such similar names...its anarchy.

There's no mistaking Jeffrey Loria once you see the guy.

Fun fact: My Dad's friend is an extremely rich real estate agent who bought $10,000 in lotto tickets and won $27,000,000. He ended up buying a Ft. Lauderdale condo on the beach. A few years back, when the Heat were in the finals in 06, he invited us over during one of the day games there. Turns out, he now leases that condo to Jeffrey Loria.

So BoMac, if you want to know where Jeffrey Loria lives, I can help.

I used to want the Blue Jays to get good again. I was hoping they would sign Fielder. I was hoping that if Pineda or Felix got traded, they got traded to the Blue Jays. Then I realized how entitled their fans are. Their fans' hypothetical offers for Felix are worse than the ones from the Yankees. Many Jays fans would not trade Brett Lawrie. Straight across. For Felix - a guy who usually owns the Sox and Yankees.

I think Zambrano will have a great year so that he puts himself in a spot to either get that huge option, or at least secure another big contract or extension. Then I think he'll return to being the fat, lazy piece of shit he's been the past few years.

I think Theo thinks the same thing... which is why he paid 13 million now so that he didn't have to pay 20 million (or more) later for a fat pussy toad.

LN7, your thoughts?

Glad that we were able to dump the sinkerballer who can't throw a sinker. Volstad blows.

As far as Zambrano goes, with Ozzie here I hope Ozzie can control him because he's a headcase.

Only thing that would've made this better would've been if Nolasco were going to Chicago instead of Zambrano. If there's anything insulting in this trade it's that the Marlins are calling Zambrano as the #5. I'd imagine that means Nolasco is #4. In reality, it should be the other way round. Ricky Nolasco blows. He'll throw one good game and then 10 rotten eggs but every time he throws that one good game everyone thinks he's a superstar.

I think its a very good move for the Marlins. Cubs are paying most of Zambrano's salary, so the risk is minimal...losing Volstad is no big deal, the only potential problem is Zambrano being a huge cancer in the clubhouse which Ozzie might be able to prevent. If he pitches the way he's capable, the Marlins' rotation could be lights out if Johnson is healthy.

The last bit you put in there is the only thing that genuinely makes me uncomfortable with the move. If JJ is healthy.

Because lets say JJ is, once again, not healthy. Even if Zambrano controls his attitude, perhaps he still has a sub-par season. Suddenly the rotation is awful. It's why I would've rather gone the 1-year route with Oswalt or something, and done our best to dump Ricky Nolasco, his talentless ass, and his fat contract. Or his talentless contract and fat ass, you decide.

Well frankly Oswalt would be as much of a risk as Zambrano, and the Marlins are gonna sink or swim (see what I did there? :D) with Johnson...if he's healthy, the Marlins are very likely a playoff team, if he is not, they are on the fringe at best.

The last bit you put in there is the only thing that genuinely makes me uncomfortable with the move. If JJ is healthy.

Because lets say JJ is, once again, not healthy. Even if Zambrano controls his attitude, perhaps he still has a sub-par season. Suddenly the rotation is awful. It's why I would've rather gone the 1-year route with Oswalt or something, and done our best to dump Ricky Nolasco, his talentless ass, and his fat contract. Or his talentless contract and fat ass, you decide.

Marlins should have traded JJ to the Rangers a few years ago when they offered Feliz and Smoak. Smoak may have had some injury problems as well, but pitcher injuries are usually much more dire.

Oh, and the Mariners will gladly trade Figgins for Nolasco.

I'd still have JJ over that. Come on now...

:shrug: Power hitting switch hitting first baseman a couple years away from his prime, young power right-handed pitcher who could easily shift into the rotation this year. We'll see which who produces more WAR over the life of their current contracts, JJ or Smoak and Feliz.

You can use hindsight all you'd like but in that case trading JJ for anything would be a 'good deal' if he never plays enough.

With that being said, that trade is a bunch of crap. JJ is much better than that. Would you trade Felix Hernandez for that? I think not. In fact, you proclaimed him untradable. I know I wouldn't trade Mike Stanton for that [relative] garbage.

You can use hindsight all you'd like but in that case trading JJ for anything would be a 'good deal' if he never plays enough.

With that being said, that trade is a bunch of crap. JJ is much better than that. Would you trade Felix Hernandez for that? I think not. In fact, you proclaimed him untradable. I know I wouldn't trade Mike Stanton for that [relative] garbage.

I thought it was a good deal for the Marlins at the time, too. Mainly because Johnson can't keep healthy. Josh Johnson is more akin to Erik Bedard. A glass man who is very, very good when healthy. But not durable in the slightest.

And no, Felix is not untradable. Just the needs of the system would all have to align and be addressed (a C, 3B, and corner OF who can all hit, and a low-minors-high-upside pitcher).

If Edgar (the greatest DH of all time) doesn't get in, Mariano Rivera (the greatest closer of all time) shouldn't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom